Android 2.3.x Gingerbread to 4.0.3 ICS Smartphone & Flash

Q&A about the latest versions
360Texas

We bought our HTC Evo 4g Smart phone last year and its O/s Android version was 2.3.4. I installed Flash 11.1 on it so I could test our HTML5 with Flash Fallback.

05Aug12 I was testing our website work.. and the pano's on the smart phone and they were functioning normally.

10Aug12 HTC notified us that an HTC system update was ready for downloading to our smart phone

AFTER that our panoramas looked like this !!!!!
enableflash.jpg
enableflash.jpg (45.45 KiB) Viewed 7895 times

After looking through the HTC smart phone 'Settings' I found that the HTC update was moved to 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich !!!
Also the update had DISABLED FLASH 11.1 App.

SO I ENABLED Flash. Now the panoramas appear normal again.

File this event in our Lessons Learned box.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
AntiochInteractive

I would consider your installation of Flash a non-standard user experience at this point. As you may already know, Adobe has dropped support for Flash and removed it from Android Market. It's not shipping with devices anymore and the time is -now- to move away from using it for mobile...

Perhaps Thomas will address Android in v4 as yes, the tours don't work that well at all... not in Chrome either...
---
Chris Hickman
ANTIOCH INTERACTIVE MEDIA
http://www.antiochwebhost.com
http://www.metroplex360.com
360Texas

I have read Adobe's press release.

"Adobe has dropped support for Flash and removed it from Android Market." The press release says... starting forward with Android Version 4.1 or Jelly Bean which should be released Fall 2012.

(Course this is already August). We were over at Bestbuy off 820 SW Fort Worth and I checked Samsung's Galaxy S III Os and it was using Android version 4.0.4 and someone must have put Flash 11.1 App on it... because it does work when viewing our panoramas.

We have Android version 4.0.3 on our HTC Evo 4g we downloaded through STANDARD Androids MARKET Flash 11.1 and it works great !
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
AntiochInteractive

Wow! What a 'cool' way for HTC to work on eliminating Flash dependence -- turning it off on upgrade!!!!

Of course, this means that Flash is now not an end-user friendly feature on Android smart phones.

Me thinks that the Android Phone Manufacturers aren't too happy about Adobe's plan to drop flash. I think it's insane as Flash works extremely well on my T-Mobile G2, and flash panos look GREAT. My phone is by no means a current generation phone -- I'm also on Android 2.3.4 -- already out of contract and eligable for upgrade -- however, I'm an old school qwerty keyboard guy who does server admin on the go with my phone. Touchpad = useless.

Back to the subject -- this might be worth consideration:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/n ... sers/11433
---
Chris Hickman
ANTIOCH INTERACTIVE MEDIA
http://www.antiochwebhost.com
http://www.metroplex360.com
360Texas

Did you have an opportunity to read Adobes press release ?

Starting with Googles Android 4.1 Adobe will no longer support Flash.

That means to me all Android devices phone and tablet before 4.1 will continue .... that means probably devices still using earlier versions of Android still will be able to use Flash. Guess, aging devices will eventually have End of Life service across the next couple of years.

As you can see... Pano2vr started last year converting over to HTML5 with Flash backup content.

I know Sprint also has issues with cell phone transmitters like WiMax. Sprint dropped WiMax contract forcing EOL over next couple of years. Sprints new cell phones radios will be LTE flavor. DFW metroplex IS in Sprints LTE service area.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Boothy

Hi

I have not tried this yet (I do not have a device with jelly bean yet )
But it should be technically possible to install Flash on jelly bean albeit not supported

http://www.talkandroid.com/guides/how-t ... ore-124223

Boothy
360Texas

I do not think Jelly Bean has been released yet. But its and interesting thought.

I sort of agree with you about Flash App installed over jelly bean. Maybe it can be done.. Adobe just will not technically support or resolve any issues.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Boothy

Hi 360texas

Jelly bean is available for some devices such as nexus phone and pad, I should be available for my galaxy S3 at the end of the month, I will report back once updated and have had chance to try side loading flash.

Regards

Boothy
Boothy

Hi 360texas

Can you see pinned video on your HTC ? I have problems with pinned video on ICS where it seems totally erratic ,some videos play some do not and I cannot find any stable reason for this. A co -worker of mine has android sony experia mobile with gingerbread (same latest flash version)and all the videos work fine and consistantly. It may be the browser not just the android version. With so many versions of android out there its hard to tell. Unfortunately the sample is a live project and I cannot really disclose at this minute - - I will try and make a control sample

Thats the fun with android I suppose.

Regards

Boothy
360Texas

Yes, please provide the URL..

Thanks
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Boothy

Hi 360texas

On my ICS based android mobile I cannot see the flying birds video in the rear window (see image below) of the sample link below. Several of my co-workers who have gingerbread based machines with the same version of mobile flash can see the pinned video.

link: http://www.keystage.com/presents/andtes ... test1.html
android-test1.jpg
android-test1.jpg (47.88 KiB) Viewed 7727 times
Regards

Boothy
smooth

I took a look on my Samsung Galaxy SII and with Firefox I couldn't see the birds (html5) but with Opera (flash) all worked.

What browser are you using?

Regards, Smooth 8)
Boothy

Hi Smooth

I was trying with the stock browser on my galaxy s3, I also have the same problem on my transformer prime. Have you android 4 or 3 on your Galaxy?

I will also try opera.

Thanks

Boothy
smooth

Boothy wrote: Have you android 4 or 3 on your Galaxy?
It runs Gingerbread 2.3.4
Remember to install Flash.

Regards, Smooth 8)
Boothy

Hi Smooth

Yes I have flash installed (latest version), I have not yet installed opera and will report back but the point of my post was that the pinned video seems to work OK in gingerbread as per your confirmation but the same videos do not work on a ICS (android 4) devices. Both my tab and galaxy s3 are ICS (another co worker here also has a ICS device and it does not show on that either).

Thanks

Boothy