A line showing between panos - please help!

Q&A about the latest versions
AHarris

Hi,

I have created 3 panos and a hotspot linking between all 3. This works fine.

The issue I have is that when I am moving between panos (hotspots) there is a moment of blank white between the panos with some kind of a vertical line, which is quite prominent. Even more prominent when you view it on an iPad, which is what I am using the pano for (in app). All pano images are the exact same size.

Is there a way to get rid of this line? I am sure there is and would appreciate some help on this as I need to submit my app this week, hopefully problem free!

Thanks in advance.
360Texas

Only curious but did you enable a transition between panoramas ?

Is your project posted on your website so we too may see ?
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
AHarris

360Texas wrote:Only curious but did you enable a transition between panoramas ?

Is your project posted on your website so we too may see ?
Hi Dave,

No transition as I intend this for iPad and iPhone only, no flash at all, just plain and simple.

Here is a link to the pano - you should be able to see the line in Safari (looks fine in Chrome), it is the same on the iPad http://www.advanceddigital.co.uk/test/f ... first.html

I look forward to your thoughts
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
I have seen this before and with other players, the problem is that Safari reports the images are loaded and displays the cube, but they are not decoded. So what you are seeing is the gap between being loaded and decoded.

There is also a difference how this is handled by Css3D (Safari) and WebGL (Firefox, Chrome). As a test you can select WebGL in Safari Developer mode and you should not see it as much or at all.

To reduce this for the moment you can reduce the cube face size, the logic is the smaller the files the faster to decode.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
AHarris

Hopki wrote:Hi,
I have seen this before and with other players, the problem is that Safari reports the images are loaded and displays the cube, but they are not decoded. So what you are seeing is the gap between being loaded and decoded.

There is also a difference how this is handled by Css3D (Safari) and WebGL (Firefox, Chrome). As a test you can select WebGL in Safari Developer mode and you should not see it as much or at all.

To reduce this for the moment you can reduce the cube face size, the logic is the smaller the files the faster to decode.
Regards,
Hopki
Hi,

Thanks for the info, I will try this tonight and report back - I am curious though as to why it only happens on two fo the linked panos when they are all the exact same size, etc?

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Adam
AHarris

Unfortunately this has not improved things at all, it looks just as bad.

Is there no workaround for this at all? It really is quite unsightly having the lines appear for a split second every time I jump between hotspots. This pano is being fixed in my company app that is being developed and is a showcase for what can be achieved on the iPad, unfortunately this "slow decoding" of the cube really lets it down.

Would it make any difference if my format was not a cylinder? I have shrunk the input file to the smallest I can while maintaining some quality, set the cube size at a modest 520 (tried 450-520 range with no visible difference) and there has been no improvements at all.

Thing is, it looks quite unprofessional with the lines showing, they are very noticeable.

I have even tried a black background but the lines show up white lol!

Any help would be great - the deadline for submitting the app is Friday, so I am right up against it :(
Hopki
Gnome

Try adding borders to make the image 2:1 Equirec then have a look.
Or end your project so I can have a look and see what can be done.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
AHarris

Hopki wrote:Try adding borders to make the image 2:1 Equirec then have a look.
Or end your project so I can have a look and see what can be done.
Regards,
Hopki
Hi Hopki,

Can you explain in a little more detail what you mean please?

Many thanks,

Adam
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Can you send you input image, this would be the quickest thing to do.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
AHarris

Hi Hopki,

I thought it may be easier to give you the whole pano, there are 3 that hotspot together - I tried sending a PM but it would not let me :(

Here is a link to the zip which contains everything http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7548405/first_ipad.zip

I really appreciate your help, I am supposed to submit my iPad app either tomorrow or Friday morning, so I hope you can help.

Many thanks,

Adam
Hopki
Gnome

Please see PM I require additional file.
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
AHarris

Hopki wrote:Please see PM I require additional file.
Hopki
PM sent with link!

Many thanks
AHarris

Any further forward with this?

TIA
Hopki
Gnome

HI,
Ok have tried to see if reducing image size etc will help but sorry to say no joy.
The only thing you can do is open each node looking at the centre of the cube so you don't see the lines.
Not good I know but its all I can think of.

I will bug track this as it will be a reminder for us to look into it later. Issue #526
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
AHarris

Hopki wrote:HI,
Ok have tried to see if reducing image size etc will help but sorry to say no joy.
The only thing you can do is open each node looking at the centre of the cube so you don't see the lines.
Not good I know but its all I can think of.

I will bug track this as it will be a reminder for us to look into it later. Issue #526
Thanks for having a look at this, I really appreciate it.

I shall set things up as you say, sounds like a fair workaround for the moment - thanks again.