lens choices

Q&A about the latest versions
RobM

Hi All,

I'm currently using a Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye for my panos and I'm looking at getting another lens for a 2nd camera setup.
Considering using a Nikon 16mm Fisheye, Sigma 15mm fisheye or even the Nikon 14mm on a D800. This camera is seriously critical for lenses so wondering if anyone has experience with them compared to the 10.5mm.
Personally I think the 10.5mm is a little soft anyway and can have some terrible chromatic aberration at times.

Any feedback or experiences welcome.

Regards, Rob.
RobM

Nobody?
Curious what lenses people are using and how critical you are of image quality.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Rob,
I use a Canon 60D and a Sigma 8mm Fisheye, so can be no help.
Would be nice if someone can chime in if they have the knowledge.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
360Texas

If you are using a Nikon, please keep and use your Nikkor 10.5. This 10.5 full frame fisheye lens has the best Modular transference function (MTF) chart curves.

You wrote: "Considering using a Nikon 16mm Fisheye, Sigma 15mm fisheye or even the Nikon 14mm on a D800" Only you can make the lens choice by reviewing the Nikkor lens MTF Lab test charts. I am surprised you have not already used this in your selection process.

If you are seriously looking to buy more 'Glass'... you really need to know "Do I Really Need to Know This Stuff? Actually, yes, you do. Pay attention. It's important :-)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutor ... -mtf.shtml
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
RobM

erm. The 10.5mm is a DX lens. Not FX lens.

I do know a fair bit about 'glass' thanks. Chart are charts. Real world counts and on the D800 the 10.5mm is a crop lens. Was a simple question to ask what people use. Not to be told how to suck eggs.
kris

hi Robm,

i use canon, but i can suggest you the lens for D800, one of my friend has the Nikon 14mm lens its good compared to the 10.5mm or 16mm, less abberations & good acutance & resolving power. so consider buying the nikon 14mm lens. also the nikon 14mm & canon 14mm has similar lens construction.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... 54&Units=E

regards
kris
Tong

no fisheye no fun? ;-)

not big choice
http://lenshero.com/lenses/nikon-d800-fisheye-lens

i would choose Samyang lens 14mm f2.8 IF ED UMC
RobM

thanks for the useful feedback and opinions Kris and Tong.

I'm leaning towards ditching the fisheye and going for the Nikon 14mm. I have used it a fair bit for my other commercial photography and it is indeed very nice. The D800 is supercritical for lenses. I was lucky enough to test it out in NY for Nikon Europe and we found it really needs the best of the Nikon range on there to benefit.
The DX 10.5mm works fine. To a point. IT has horrendous aberration in some situations too. I've been using it on the D7000 and it has been adequate. Yes, I can hacksaw the hood off so that it fills the FX frame but that isn't going to make the image quality suddenly any better.
A few clients (and myself) are looking for even more image quality, not just for the interactive spherical panos but also as large format flat projected sphericals.

I was mainly curious to see what people are using. The 8mm and 15mm sigmas seem popular amongst colleagues and I'm waiting for my local dealership to get one in stock so I can test it out.
I have a good connection with Nikon and they have also promised me a 14mm to test out, I should be picking that up tomorrow. I have avoided non-fisheye lenses up till now because I've been shooting panos manually in confined spaces and wanted the minimum number of shots to record the full 360. Now I'm looking very closely to get an automated head, the number of shots needed is less critical as the accuracy and automation of the head will help.