Speeding up QT images for web. What r sub tiles?

Q&A about the latest versions
Jock Montgomery

Hi, I've copied the setting from the pano2 VR samples page for a basic cubic QT file (tilesize is 1201 pixels quality is 75, subtiles 3). And have created some of my own QT files and posted them. Two problems.

1. My posted file is VERY slow to load. Over 1 minute! File size is only 860kb. BUT the pano2 vr site's sample loads MUCH faster (and I've cleared my cache to make sure I'm doing the proper comparison). What am I doing wrong? If I reduce much more quality will suffer.

The image was created in PTGui (equirectangular, is a cylindrical view with significant cropping "limits."

2. My image does not get cached on Safari or Firefox, but the sample does! Why?

3. Also can someone explain what sub tiles are? I didn't follow this from the tutorial.

Thanks,
thomas
Chief Gnome

Jock Montgomery wrote: 1. My posted file is VERY slow to load. Over 1 minute! File size is only 860kb. BUT the pano2 vr site's sample loads MUCH faster (and I've cleared my cache to make sure I'm doing the proper comparison). What am I doing wrong? If I reduce much more quality will suffer.
This depends on your website not on Pano2VR. Maybe try another ISP.
2. My image does not get cached on Safari or Firefox, but the sample does! Why?
This depends on the HTML code you are using. There is a switch enable/disable caching
3. Also can someone explain what sub tiles are? I didn't follow this from the tutorial.
Subtiles are the smaller tiles within one cubeface. See the "Progressive Download" demo at http://gardengnomesoftware.com/pano2qtvr_sample.php
MfG, Thomas
Jock Montgomery

Thanks!

Jock