Off Topic: Looking for Fisheye Images

Q&A about the latest versions
zap

I want to purchase the Fisheylens
4.5mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye http://www.sigmaphoto.com/shop/45mm-f28 ... heye-sigma

But prior to it I would like to test for myself the image quality of it.

Has any of you a sample of panorama images he could send me so I can test stitching and pano creation for myself.
I'm looking forward to produce 3 images of 180° tilted 12° up

Main purpose: Fast and good real estate panoramas.
Prefered = Images from a Nikon camera but not a must

If image-size matters please PM and I'll provide email to post images to.

thx
ZY

PS Any finished examples would be nice to see too in order to see potential of lens/camera combos :D
360 Panorama Creators http://luxmap.com
Google Trusted Photographer
PORTtours

Please note that when you're using such a wide angled lens (180 degrees), the panorama mount of your camera may cause a problem. That said, if you're taking 3 images, the overlap may make it OK. I'm not a genius at different lenses. I use the Rokinon 8mm lens and it works great for me (until i want to spend A LOT more for a little more quality). I take 5 images (4 horizontal shots and 1 to the sky). This does leave a floor gap but I always place a patch to cover my tripod anyways. Hope this may help a little - I don't have any fisheye shots on the computer I'm on now, so I can't post any examples at the moment.

Thanks,

Frank
360Texas

You mentioned "I want to purchase the Fisheylens 4.5mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye"

You may or may not get a full circle image on your camera. Canon 5d, 5dm2 and 5dm2 are all use a full 35mm frame sensor 24mm x 36mm.

IF your camera is a full 35mm frame sensor [_].. then yes the full circle "O" should be inside the frame borders of your full frame sensor [O].
IF your camera is not a full frame sensor.. then you probably have a Crop factor. ([_]) meaning the full circle image exceeds the width of your sensor.

Typically Canon cameras have a crop factor of 1.6 meaning if your lens is an 8mm then 8 x 1.6 = 12.8 mm effective 35mm
Typically Nikon cameras have a crop factor of 1.5 meaning 8mm x 1.5 = 12 mm effective 35mm

Good reference is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

We use a Nodal Ninja R1 panorama head with a Sigma 8mm full circle Fisheye on a Canon 5d full frame sensor, tilt up only 5° to achieve zenith (top) closure, 4 images around horizon. No zenith [up] or nadir [down] required.

We also use a Nodal Ninja R1 pano head with a Sigma 8mm on a Canon T1i (NOT full frame sensor) tilt up only 5° to achieve zenith (top) closure, 4 images around horizon. No zenith [up] or nadir [down] required.

We achieve covering the nadir [down] hole using a tripod cap picture with advertising clients name or our company name. OR after stitching we use Pano2vr and just limit the down angle so folks can not see the hole.

The Holbox Island Hotel pano was taken using the Canon T1i [500d] and Sigma 8mm fisheye, 4 images around with a tripod cap 5° tilt up on a handheld monopod.
http://360texas.com/services/sr/dbu/index.htm
Hope this helps
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Svendus

my experience with a
test of the 4.5mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye on a Canon testcamera was that it was not sharp in the periferia.
Stitched with PTGui Pro and i think the huge vignetting steels a lot of Pixels
the 8mm Sigma are not produced with Sony mount

so as a owner of a Sony mount camera i am Using the Samyang 8mm 1:3.5

It is what i have leaned possible to shave the lens as the picture below

Image Image
360Texas

I thought I remembered someone saying that Samyang now sells this lens with NO hood. So shaving is not necessary, just have to specify NO HOOD before buying it.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Tong

they call it Samyang 8/3.5 UMC CS II
not no hood, but you can take it off.

ps: http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=13215
Svendus

i Think you must shave a older lens Samyang 8mm removable hood

But will the image be circular ? on SLR cameras that have an APS-C image sensor

Image Image
360Texas

Just guessing...

on a Canon APS-C camera with a small sensor with crop factor 1.6 the full circle 8mm fisheye lens long side "Portrait".. will probably only fit 180°top to bottom but not side to side.
Canon 5d mark 1,2,3 and the new 6d [scheduled released December 2012 ]with full 35mm sensor [crop factor 1.0 ]the full circle Sigma 8mm fisheye will fit inside the sensor frame.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Tong

5D mark II
no hood

5D mark II
with hood