Memory Limits?

Q&A about the latest versions
Robert Harshman

In the prior version there were limits on the cube face and EQ file sizes that could be imported or produced. An EQ file of over 20,000 pixels wide would not process nor a cube face of over 5,000 pixels.

Have these limits been removed by the new version?

Regards,

Robert
erik leeman

Apparently not, I cannot load a 25276x12638 equirectangular I desperately want to convert to cubefaces : (

edit: I just made that image 20000x10000 and Pano2VR still won't open it, merde!

edit2: making it 19900x9950 didn't help a bit either. Both Pano2VR and Pano2QTVR refuse to open it. At least Pano2QTVR comes with a message telling "Error allocating .....KB of memory" and "Not enough memory", Pano2VR just reports it cannot open the file.
I have 3GB of RAM. 23.5GB free on C: and 30.0GB on D:, my TEMP disk. Even so Pano2QTVR has a problem allocating 14.9GB of memory, even after a cold reboot.
Robert Harshman

Thomas,

Any comments? Is this different on a MAC?

Regards,

Robert
thomas
Chief Gnome

I did a quick test on both Mac an PC (2GB main memory) and they where able to convert a 20000x10000 to 5000 pixel cube faces. The problem is that the images need continuous memory so may try to reboot and then start it again. Both machines failed on the 25000x12500 image. I will further investigate why this happens because in theory it should still work if 1.25GB of continuous memory are available.
MfG, Thomas
erik leeman

I finally decided to try to let PTGui make cubefaces from that 25276x12638 equirect, and it turned out to be quite easy. That gave me cubefaces of 8046x8046 pixels. So back to Pano2VR, and guess what, Pano2VR told me the fourth one could not be opened and remained silent after that. So that didn't work either. I then resized them to 4023x4023 (50%) and here's the (2.2MB) Flash9 result:
http://www.erikleeman.com/QT/en-05-12-0 ... -DEVAL.htm
select the Flash option.
Yes it's a cilindrical pano, I know Pano2VR can't do that (yet), but I wanted it anyway.
ScottWitte

erik leeman wrote:...and here's the (2.2MB) Flash9 result:
http://www.erikleeman.com/QT/en-05-12-0 ... -DEVAL.htm
select the Flash option.
I don't know if this is related, but when I open this I get the error:
ArgumentError: Error #2015: Invalid BitmapData.
at flash.display::BitmapData$iinit()
at PanoTile2Class$iinit()
This happens on Tiles 2 through 5. Those tiles (I assume) just remain as orange previews and I am unable to zoom in or out, although autorotation seems to work fine. I'm using the Flash 9 player.
erik leeman

I've seen very similar error messages with other Flash9 panos before, but not yet with this one.
Incomplete loading occurs quite frequently, reloading the page usually does the trick but sometimes restarting IE is necessary to 'get things going' again : (
I didn't make the Flash9 version zoomable because its resolution is not high enough. That's why I want to use the big cubetiles (or, MUCH rather, be able to make a true cilindrical Flash9 version)
ScottWitte

Erik,

In this case I was using Firefox but just now tried IE, Safari (PC) and FF again with the exact same result. Since I wrote this I have rebooted, so that should have cleared any problem.

Reloading in IE worked but not in Firefox. In Safari I just got a new error:
ArgumentError: Error #2015: Invalid BitmapData.
at flash.display::BitmapData$iinit()
at PanoTile0Class$iinit()
which repeated many time. Now, as far as I'm concerned Safari -- at least V3.0.3 is a piece of... well lets just say it is program quality challenged. Not much works as it should.

Since the same load error occurred in three browsers, I don't think it is browser related. If this isn't happening for all or most people viewing this pano it must be related to my particular system. I expect my system specs are more than sufficient (4GB RAM, Core2duo CPU, oodles of free disk space etc.) it more likely is software related. That is about as far as I can take it. But I don't think any of us want this kind of unpleasant surprise for our viewers. It would be nice to know how to prevent this.
erik leeman

Hi Scott,

I've done some tests on several PC's at a number of different locations (= internet connections, all of them ADSL though) since your report, and haven't yet seen this error message with this one. Has this particular pano been the only one you've experienced this with?

There's a cilindrical 12638x1288 .jpg version of this pano stand-by on my server in case Thomas wants to use it for some tests himself.
thomas
Chief Gnome

This is an odd error, and I haven't seen it myself. I will test it tomorrow on more machines.
MfG, Thomas
ScottWitte

Erik,

Yes. This is the only pano I have seen these errors on, the only one I've seen any error on that I can remember. And I am currently fairly involved in developing a Flash based VR tour, so I'm doing more Flash VR viewing than usual.

I doubt it makes a difference, but I currently have Immervision and Flashpanorama software on my system, though not Pano2VR quite yet.