Multiresolution Flash Problems

Q&A about the latest versions
calzie

Hi All

Having read through the thread about 'mobile HTML screen size settings (http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/vi ... f=6&t=6615)

I have tried Hopki settings for multiresolution HTML5 with multiresolution FLASH fall back as per:
Flash output, multiresolution: Levels 1500, 750, 375.
Level tile size 375. (this divides equaliy in all the levels)
Do not produce an HTML page.

HTML5 output, settings tab, 1500,
Mobile settings,
Max: 1024, Tile: 1440 80% iPad 1&2 (possible since IOS5)
Max: 960, Tile: 700 80% iPhone 4
Max: 480, Tile: 416 70% iPhone 3

Produce an HTML page from the HTML5 output and add the SWF from the Flash output to the Flash fullback input text box.
And that should be that.
This seems to work OK for HTML5 but Flash away seems to use the lowest resolution panorama, test page is here:
http://www.360urbex.com/testTemp/cableC ... 6000c.html
On the same PC opening this is Chrome, uses HTML5 and we get the high resolution panorama, while opening it in IE just load the lowest resolution panorama, and this shows flashing white squares when you pan round.

I watched the video tutorial on Flash multiresolution, but can't see where I have gone wrong.

Here is a screen shot of the settings used:

Any help would be great.

I also don't own any iOS devices if anyone has time can they check the HTML5 multiresolution works :D

Thank you

Calzie
AlaskaVRTours

I am experiencing the exact same issue when trying to build multiresolution flash panos.
I followed the tutorial as well, and it always seems to load the lowest quality level, and never loads any higher levels, when you zoom in.
There is also the annoying white flashes as cubes load while panning.

Html5 output works great, as does flash if I disable multiresolution.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Tom

Edit: I also noted that user data placeholders in the skin return as undefined when I choose multiresolution flash enabled, yet when multiresolution is not enabled, and in html5, those user data placeholders return the correct information.
Hopki
Gnome

HI
It looks as if the point of this thread is being lost.
The idea was to produce a single flash output that could be displayed on a variety of flash enabled devices.

Normally multi resolution is for the larger images that can not be displayed at their full resolution when first opened, example giga panoramas.
However I am using it in reverse, to display the best image, then decrease quality for smaller displays.
I would set this up so I Load and Decode at Startup the 375px level.
If you embed the 375px level then you will see the white squires as you have seen.

Using the settings above, If you are looking at the panorama with your computer you will not see any improvement when you zoom in as you will already be viewing the 1500px tiles. Thats assuming that your monitors screen resolutions is 1024 x 768px or above.
However the lower quality and smaller file size tiles are there when needed by the flash enabled devices with lower screen resolutions.

Regards
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
JNorris

Hopki,

I am the epitome of a newbie to P2VR, fair warning, you'll have to endure some dumb questions. I know the fundamentals of the program as far as creating and outputting, but am still learning about technical and in depth processes like creating skins, formatting for mobile devices, and multi-resolution. I've watched the video on multi-res and have scoured through the forums on any info on the process and have found some good bits here and there that weren't too over my head. I saw a link you put up on someones post that broke down each option by definition e.g. subtiles, levels, etc. However Its a lot of similar vocabulary with Tile settings, cube face size and it seems like enabling this disables that, and then you've got sub tiles and level tile size and levels and window sizes. It seems like it all fits into a big picture and the similar names of options keep throwing me off. Can someone please put this all into perspective and how all these things affect each other as well as the 360 panorama itself? Are there any rules/guidelines/formulas to this process I should follow? Thanks for any help.

Justin
calzie

Hi Hopki

Thank you for your reply and help, you are right I am trying to make a web panorama page that will work with almost everything, from PC (with Chrome/FireFox/Safari or IE) to iPhone and Android mobile devices.
My original page worked great for the PC (HTML5 and Flash) and iOS devices, but the large Flash SWF file would crash my Android tables and phone.

So my plan was the use the 'Multiresolution' tab in FLASH so that smaller devices would get low-res panoramas and the PC would continue to get the high res.

I changes my Flash Output setting, as per you message, so that now:

Settings/Cube Face Size = 1500 (same as before)

Multiresolution/Levels/Width:
1500:Not Embed/Not Load/Not Decode
750:Not Embed/Not Load/Not Decode
375:Not Embed/Load at startup/Decode at startup

I have up loaded these over the original panorama here:
http://www.360urbex.com/testTemp/cableC ... 6000c.html

If I try the swf file directly on the PC is works great, the full resolution panorama is used, however if I try the web servers using IE then I get a poor resolution, like minecraft, when using the same PC.

Also the user data is now missing, the info panel just shows 'undefined' for all data.

I must still have something wrong, can you have a think and let me know.

Thanks again

Calzie
JimWatters

Calzie,

When I tried on Windows using Firefox I got the 1500 cube face HTML5 version. This did not rotate smooth at all. It would shudder when it is being rotated.

When I tried on my Android phone I got the Flash version with very low resolution like you describe.

[Edit] Tried it on Windows with Internet Explorer. Here I got the low resolution pano too. The white squares flashing is from an attempt to download a replacement higher resolution tile. After P2VR learns that a tile is non existing it does not attempt again. So each tile only flashes white once.

I would check the error logs on your server I would guess files did not get copied or folders are misnamed.

Jim
360Texas

Yes, with IE9 I too got high pixelated BIG BLOCKY image. Sort of like trying to display a very small resolution image on a LARGE screen... Image is stretched so it got pixelated. I think those white block flashes are just segments of cubefaces being loaded. Probably would not do that if the a larger dimensioned Flash .swf were loaded. I tried viewing this pano in compatibility mode.. forcing it to act like IE 8 but got the same blocky results. Although I am just guessing here. 375:Not Embed/Load at startup/Decode at startup A 375 pixel cubeface is a small one.

On our demo page we are not using MULTI RESOLUTION. We are using Flash .swf fall back with HTML5/CSS3 and we knew for sure which cubeface tile set was being seen was to write the cube face size 800, 960 or 1300 etc pixel in the nadir [bottom] tile. Then you can try different browsers and devices.. and know which cubeface set you are really delivered to your device. When you visit this page.. click and view the pano... then tilt down and see what tile sizes are being used. Our demo page: http://360texas.com/services/sr/dbu/index.htm

ON YOUR bridge image Safari 5.1.2, Chrome 1.6 and Mozilla Firefox the image behaved properly.

WOW those are some VERY HI tensil strength stuctural support cables. Are you in the construction industry to get permission to take that pano? Build bridges ?
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
calzie

Hi 360Texas

Thanks for your replay, the panoramas are from a tour I did of the Forth Road Bridge, you can see some more hi-res one here:
http://www.360urbex.com/testTemp/FRBweb ... bsite.html

Or the normal resolution ones here:
http://www.360urbex.com/forth-road-bridge-2011.html

The reason there are two is I really want to use the hi-res panoramas on the main site, but until I can get some way of making the Flash fallback load different panoramas depending on the devices screen size I am stuck limiting everything to mid-res.

Jim, I did check the server logs and the image dirs, all the files are there and working fine, if I download these into a temp dir on my PC and just double click on the .swf file, it opens the hi-res version ok in both IE and Chrome.

There must be some setting not right with the Flash multiresolution tab, or something wrong when the fallback loads it when using the website.

And the 'underfined' user data will need to be fix if I am to use this.

Thanks for all you help.

Calzie
JimWatters

On the screen shot of Multiresolution you have a combination of forward and back slashes.

Under Visuals tab is Download/Prewview set to something otherthan None? - I don't think this should matter for Multiresolution but maybe it is being used.

Jim
Hopki
Gnome

Please find attached a simple project.
It has the three levels:
1500 = Red
750 = Blue
375 = Green

The project will open in a 300 x 250px window and use the 375, Green level.
As you zoom in it will pass through the 750, Blue level and end up at 1500, Red.

If the project had a window size of 640 x 800 then it will open at the 750, Blue level.
I have unselected generate files in the multi resolution tab so you can not over write the tiles with the coloured circles.

Testing with Windows and IE9, set window to 640 x 480 and it open with 750,Blue. Set the window size to 1024 x 768 and it open with 1500, Red.
Set it back 300 x 250 an fit opens with 375, Green. So appears to be working as it should.

If you are not opening with the best quality on a computer, check your window size.
Regards
Hopki
Attachments
mobile_multi_resolution.zip
(7.05 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Werner

Hey Hopki

Thank you, that's just great and it clarifies now everything!!!
Wish you a great week.
Best regards, Werner
calzie

Hi Hopki

Thank you for the example project, I had a good look over it and tried a few things with my demo page.
In the end I gave up using the Flash multiresolution option and have modified the test project to output 4 x Flash swf files, on for each of the different screen sizes (like the HTML mobile setting):

cableChamber1a_6000c_416.swf (for screen upto 480)
cableChamber1a_6000c_700.swf (for screens upto 960)
cableChamber1a_6000c_1140.swf (for screens upto 1024)
cableChamber1a_6000c_1500.swf (for screens over 1025)

A quick/dirty change to the html file:

if (swfobject.hasFlashPlayerVersion("9.0.0")) {
var flashvars = {};
var params = {};
params.quality = "high";
params.bgcolor = "#ffffff";
params.allowscriptaccess = "sameDomain";
params.allowfullscreen = "true";
var attributes = {};
attributes.id = "pano";
attributes.name = "pano";
attributes.align = "middle";

var size=416;
var screen_size = screen.width;
if (screen_size > 480) {size = 700};
if (screen_size > 960) {size = 1140};
if (screen_size > 1024) {size = 1500};

swfobject.embedSWF(
"cableChamber1a_6000c_" + size + ".swf", "container",
"100%", "100%",
"9.0.0", "expressInstall.swf",
flashvars, params, attributes);
}

This works well for me:
On the PC using IE (2560x1600) the hi res panorama loads
On my Archos tablet (1024x600) the 1140 panorama is used
On my a friends mobile it works too (not sure the model/screen) but it was the lower res version

Still playing about with the settings and sizes.

Cheers

Calzie
360Texas

X-Post
While you were posting in this thread, I posted another comment in this one

http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/vi ... 510#p26510
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com