local install on handheld device

Q&A about the latest versions
RobM

Hi Guys,

I've had a quick search on this matter, but not found anything.
My clients are lapping up the panos I've been making with the software, both on desktop machines and on all sorts of portable devices.
One client has asked if i can make some kiosk style iPad displays that they can use at a trade show. My limitation there is being able to run the pano remotely. So far it seems I can only offer a pano on the iPad that is connected to either wifi or a data connection. Is there, or are there any plans for an encapsulated file that will run remotely?

This would also help greatly with client presentations where downloading the pano over 3G can take a little too long for comfort, even with the output resolution optimised for the tablets.

Loving the software, I've yet to delve deep into the whole virtual tour setup but it's all there. For when I get time to learn how to get it set up and customised well. Time.. the enemy of any creative person.. :wink:

Cheers, Rob.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Rob
Funny you should ask, I am off doing a show at the end of the month, Retail Imaging Show 2011.
I am using GoodReader which is a very cheap App for the iPad.
I have prepared 2 iPads with 6 panoramas and objects, how it works is very easy.

How to prep the HTML5 panoramas or objects.

Have a folder with the HTML5 output files in, so a working panorama, VT or Object. Don't use the full screen option in the html template as you will need the normal view to get out of the panorama or object. If you intend only showing one panorama you can use the fullscreen template but then you will need to reset GoodReader to exit the VT or object. I am assuming you are not going to use the fullscreen option.
Once you are happy with your output, Zip up the folder.

Get and install GoodReader from the App Store.
Once on the iPad, connect to PC or Mac.
Itunes should open, click on the iPad in the device section, then click Apps.
At the bottom of the screen you will have File Sharing Apps, make sure GoodReader in in there and hi lighted. The left box should say GoodReader Documents.
Add or Drag your ZIP in the Document section and it will be transferred to the iPad.

Disconnect from iTunes.
Open GoodReader on the iPad and you should see the zip in the My Document section. Tap the Zip file to unzip it.
You should now be able to tap the folder until you can see the HTML file. Tap the HTML page to open the VT or Object.

Depending on how you have set up your files, double tap the screen to enter fullscreen mode.
To exit, double tap the screen to exit fullscreen mode, then tap once on the edge of the page, this will then bring up the GoodReader back button top left to take you back to your folder.
You can now select another VT or Object.

You could use the cache manifest file but there is a risk of mobile Safari dropping the cache if you do something wrong.
Using Good reader also lets you transfer any MP3 files you may have for sound, cache manifest will not store the MP3's.

Regards
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
RobM

Ok, this sounds just the ticket. Many thanks.

I'm going to have a go at getting this set up in the morning, with fresh eyes and head. As you describe it, it's pretty straight forward.

Cheers,
Rob

(your profile says you're from Braintree? I'm originally from Romford, not a million miles away)

Edit..
I couldn't wait, I had to try this. woo! quick and easy to do too. Ok, it's not as clean as we might like but it's a set in the right direction and I like it.
I will load up a selection of panos to use in my portfolio now. Thanks again.
RobM

Further: rendering and zipping as full screen playback does actually make a perfect kiosk solution to panorama display.
GoodReader preventing you escaping from full screen is a good way of securing the viewing to just that page. I've some clients that will be happy by this.
Thanks again.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Rob
For the show I need to be able to change pano and objects without fuss, so for me the fullscreen option is a pain.
But yes, makes perfect sense for a single pano or object.

Where are you located ?
Regards
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
RobM

I'm near Ghent in Belgium now.
Essex born and bred though ;)
visual360media

Ha, had to chime in, I am from Hullbridge, Essex, (as hopki knows), and went to Ghent, Belgium for a weekend a few months ago for my 2 sons judo comp. (lovely place) ! (handheld so lots of stitching errors and was in a bit of a rush)!! http://our360tour.com/portfolio/gent_virtual_tours.html
Kind regards,

John Goulding