Advantages and disadvantages of outputting to HTML?

Q&A about the latest versions
John Blake

What are the advantages and disadvantages of outputting to HTML compared to quicktime VR and shockwave flash formats? One advantage that I know of is outputting to mobile devices that don't support flash.
I'm asking this question for my own basic knowledge.
Thank you very much in advance.

John Blake
Hopki
Gnome

Hi John
HTML5 - IMO:
The variations in the different web browsers means you can not guarantee the same viewing experience for everyone.
With not all browser developers doing the same thing you get into the situation of what works in one browser does not work in another. At least with Flash you have some consistency.
I think in the long term HTML5 will get there, and I hope it does as players that use excessive amounts of resources is not the way forward. But........Flash 11 using less resources, if this gets better then who knows.
Regards
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
smooth

Do you actually mean HTML or HTML5?
Flash and Quicktime are supposed to be played back via the Internet through a HTML page.
You shouldn't serve up .mov or .swf directly.

The advantage of using HTML to display your .mov, .swf or even your HTML5 compliant WebGL/Css3 panoramas is that the HTML can control certain attributes like Fullscreen and player plug-in version required (amongst others).

You seem to think that mobile devices don't support Flash? This is only true of "Apple" idevices and whilst they hold a certain majority of the market at the moment I feel the tide is about to change with Google's Android based mobile phones and tablets growing very fast because of superior performance and features.

After owning both Apple iPhones and now a Samsung Galaxy S II Android based phone that does run flash 100% there is no way I would turn back to a iPhone.
People will soon realise there are better options to the iPhone that aren't limiting. BTW: The Android phones will also play HTML5, so you get the best of both worlds.

I do read that Apple and Adobe have finally struck a deal where Flash (video movies at least) will soon be repackaged via a server for display on an iPhone/iPad.
Not sure if this will be useful for panoramas at this stage.

QuicktimeVR is no longer being supported by Apple and has never had iPhone/iPad support. Basically QTVR is in it's death throws. Do not confuse Quicktime with QuicktimeVR.

Regards, Smooth 8)