3.1.0 64 still has non-functioning mouse wheel

Q&A about the latest versions
DemonDuck

3.1.0 64 still has non-functioning mouse wheel. When the mouse wheel is not inverted, the pano sometimes twitches. When it is inverted, dead -- totally. CNTL/SHIFT still works but those keys are not the first choice of people used to zooming/scrolling with mouse wheel.
jobes

I experienced something similar and it was initially bugging me with 3.1.0… 

That is, until I realised that when exporting Flash panos, I had to go to the 'Advanced Settings' tab, and deselect the 'Disable in browser' checkbox under the mouse wheel settings. For some reason this seems to be checked on by default in 3.1.0, so the mousewheel doesn't work. A simple click changes it… I've now updated my default settings…

Hope that's useful…
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
Disable in Browser.
This was first developed for a panorama in a web page which the viewer would need to scroll.
With this unchecked and the mouse pointer in the panorama, the mouse wheel would not only zoom in and out of the image, but also scroll the web page.

With this checked, the mouse wheel would only zoom in and out of the panorama and the web page would not scroll, excellent :D , move the mouse out of the panorama and you can then scroll the page, even better :D :D

This worked well for a while until the likes of Google Chrome decided not to pass on the mouse wheel information to the browser, so broke this :( :( .
As it turns out, to see this working how it should, and started out, open IE9 in Windows, then all works as should.

The default is Disable in Browser so the scroll wheel will only scroll the webpage, of course going full screen, the mouse wheel zooms again.
If you use a full screen HTML page then you can uncheck this to use mouse zoom.

Regards
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
DemonDuck

I tried everything you suggested except using IE9 which I will not install on my computer. I hope you are not suggesting that Pano2VR will only work on selected browsers.

I use Firefox 3.6.18 and the mouse wheel only causes an occasional twitch in the pano. I set the sensitivity to maximum (50) and the speed to 10 and nothing happens when I move the mouse wheel except the occasional twitch. I tried fullscreen.ggt and normal.ggt --- NOTHING except the occasional twitch. Disable in Browser seems to do nothing.

However, I have found that if I spin the mouse wheel really fast -- I mean as fast as I can -- then the zoom works.

Also, I just noticed that FPP also has this problem. Very annoying...
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
I think you have completely misunderstood what I said.
I did not say Pano2VR only works in selected browsers, I said the Disable in Browser feature only works in selected browsers, disable it and the mouse wheel will work as it did before.
However getting past all that, have you tried a different mouse?
What you are reporting seems very odd, could it be a problem with your hardware, if you say you are getting the same thing with FPP it could be an incompatibility problem with your mouse and the flash player.
Just a thought and something I would try.

I test the top five browsers, on the PC and the top four on the Mac. Safari, Fire Fox, Chrome, Opera and when testing on the PC, IE.
The mouse wheel zooms in and out without any problems, I also test with a Mac magic mouse and a Razer Death Adder, from my old PC days :D

What mouse do you have and do you use the driver in windows or the one that came with the mouse?
Also which version of Windows do you use?
Please let me know and I will see if I can help.
Regards
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
DemonDuck

Could be a mouse incompatibility problem.

I use Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1. The keyboard and mouse are Microsoft Ergonomic Wireless Desktop 7000 (their name) Use their Intellikey and Intellimouse software and updates come down from Microsoft regularly. The mouse wheel behaves exactly the same way with IE8. A slow rotation of the wheel has no effect. If I spin it really fast then I can cause it to zoom. Maybe the frequency of the impulses from the mouse is too high. It's supposed to be a high resolution mouse.

My hardware/software is always up to date. It's a 2 year old Dell Optiplex 760.

If it is a mouse problem, I really don't know what I can do about it.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
I would just go and get a cheep USB mouse to test with.
I had a MS wireless keyboard and mouse with a very similar sounding name to yours, it used intelepoint and inteletype drivers for the mouse and keyboard, this was just over a couple of years ago now. I stopped using the drivers because of similar issues, the web was and still is a wash with complaints, with Windows auto updates something would stop working or it would behave differently to what it did before. I know in the end I removed the drivers and just used the generic vista drivers which work ok.

I changed the keyboard for a wired one and changed the mouse to the Death Adder, both USB devices as I was getting a bit annoyed about changing the batteries every few days in the mouse, it seemed to eat them. The wireless keyboard had a battery level meter, but you had to go looking, when it popped up saying the batteries are low, thats when it stopped working.

The wired keyboard was still a MS one, but I did not load the drivers, not sure if you can get away with doing that with Windows 7?
in any case a cheep USB mouse just to test with should do the trick.

As said I use a magic mouse, but if I see any strange things happening I always plug in the Death Adder.
Regards
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
DemonDuck

Hopki wrote:Hi
I would just go and get a cheep USB mouse to test with.
I had a MS wireless keyboard and mouse with a very similar sounding name to yours, it used intelepoint and inteletype drivers for the mouse and keyboard, this was just over a couple of years ago now. I stopped using the drivers because of similar issues, the web was and still is a wash with complaints, with Windows auto updates something would stop working or it would behave differently to what it did before. I know in the end I removed the drivers and just used the generic vista drivers which work ok.

I changed the keyboard for a wired one and changed the mouse to the Death Adder, both USB devices as I was getting a bit annoyed about changing the batteries every few days in the mouse, it seemed to eat them. The wireless keyboard had a battery level meter, but you had to go looking, when it popped up saying the batteries are low, thats when it stopped working.

The wired keyboard was still a MS one, but I did not load the drivers, not sure if you can get away with doing that with Windows 7?
in any case a cheep USB mouse just to test with should do the trick.

As said I use a magic mouse, but if I see any strange things happening I always plug in the Death Adder.
Regards
Hopki
Yeah, I meant intellipoint and intellitype. I understand your opinion about MS stuff. I agree. But I'm just tired of chasing around trying to fix what MS breaks. It more and more sounds like an Adobe problem. Maybe they will fix it.

In the mean time, I guess I'll just have to make do with what I've got. Thanks for clearing this up. Gives me more confidence in Pano2VR.

BTW: my keyboard and mouse are almost a year old and the batteries are still going. I just got tired of all those wires.
DemonDuck

It was the IntelliPoint software that somehow disables scrolling with the mouse wheel.

Long story -- I had to reset my mouse and that somehow disconnected the mouse from the IntelliPoint software. And now mouse wheel scrolling is flawless in Pano2VR and FPP.

Maybe there's a way for you to detect IntelliPoint running and do something to maintain the functionality of the mouse wheel. IntelliPoint is Microsoft after all...
360Texas

Glad you figured the issue out. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Few years ago after buying our Microsoft 7000 keyboard and mouse... I too had issues with the mouse. Keyboard is still wireless. I was told it was a microsoft intellipoint driver issue. Switched back to using a wired Dell wheel USB mouse. Issue went away.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
jedimasta

I need to bring this back to the forefront and I'm hoping someone is still listening.

I'm using 3.1.0 64bit for vehicle interiors. Prior to upgrading, the mousewheel zoom functionality in browser worked great. The client's site is design to be all completely above the fold, so scrolling the window is not an issue, but we DO require the panorama to have the zooming functionality. After upgrading and taking advantage of the 64 bit platform as well as new P2VR features, the mousewheel zoom is dead unless you are browsing with IE. We can't strictly develop for a single browser, particularly when our user base uses Firefox more than IE.

Is there ANY way to address this? I've tried the checking "Disable in browser", I've tried not checking it and get the same result in all browsers: IE's zooming works; Firefox, Chrome, Safari doesn't.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
This is very odd as when you unselect Disable in browser it does work.

This link is set to Disable in browser:
http://support.ggno.me/zoom/index1.html

This link is with it unselected:
http://support.ggno.me/zoom/index2.html

The above link will only be active for a while, but you can download the project which I have attached.

Please note that when viewed locally and not using Pano2VR's web server you can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel with index1.html and index2.html. This is down to browser security and may be different in other browsers when played locally.
Regards
Hopki
Attachments
zoom.zip
(271.62 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
jedimasta

Thanks for getting back to this.

I loaded up both of your examples in IE and Firefox and the mouse wheel zoom functions in both examples, both browsers.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
Cool, so the mouse zoom is functioning, have you seen why yours is not?
The browser is key and they keep moving the goal posts this is why the mouse trap works in some and not all browsers.
Regards
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
jedimasta

maybe I'm misunderstanding something first off. When you say Disable In Browser does that tell the browser ITSELF not to scroll or does it tell the pano not to use the zoom function (to ignore the wheel altogether)?

In my particular situation, I'm rendering out the panos in SWF format and they are being called into a larger Flash container. If I view the swf raw, outside of any site, the mouse wheel is recognized and works the way it should. However, once it is embedded into the larger Flash container of the site, the wheel functionality dies.

Now, I realize it's easy to jump to the conclusion that the larger Flash container is causing the problem, however, using panos created with the previous version of the software in that same larger Flash container of our site does not result in the same problem. I've asked in-house flash developers to do some research on the problem, but I'm 90% sure this happened after upgrading Pano2VR to 3.1