cylindrical pano: straight lines turn into waves

Q&A about the latest versions
vilmer

I am trying to create an interactive version of a cylindrical panorama, but the flash output of pano2vr adds some weird distortions to the straight lines.

It turns out well if created with the flash player of ptgui, and even Easypano's tourweaver does not have this problem. What's going on?

Ronald
360Texas

Could be you are trying to display a cylinder non equirectangular image using a spherical viewer.

Select input : Load the Cylinder image
Select Output: Flash

Flash Output for cylinder ---- Tile settings box... Click Correction [x] no 3D distortion

Maybe that will work. Please let us know
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
Try this, output the SWF from Pano2VR with its own HTML page then compare the two.
It may be how you are embedding the SWF in your project.
Regards
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
vilmer

Thank you for the responses Dave and Hopki,

See here the pano in the p2vr html output without the 'no 3d distortion' checked,
see here the pano in the p2vr html output with the 'no 3d distortion' checked.
It almost looks like the flash 8 pano's we used to have some time ago.

I have worked around this weird distortion by outputting it in ptgui as an equirectangular and limiting the tilt in p2vr. But that adds unnecessary weight to the file size by adding a lot of solid color to the image.

Thanks,
Ronald
360Texas

<unfair>
So after all that effort and guessing..... Did you use a fisheye lens and camera to create this panorama ? And what version of Pano2vr 2.0 ? or 3.1 did you use to make your panorama ?

I noticed very black box holes in the top and bottom of your panorama which leads me (along with the "cylinder pano" in the comment title) to believe it was a cylinder panorama to start with... OR you just did not shoot the nadir and zenith (black cube face) ? Or you used some other lens like a Canon 15mm full frame lens.

You are asking us to draw a conclusion about your technical issue (why doesn't Pano2vr perform better) based on having little or no production facts.
</unfair>

We do not get this type of issue using a Canon 5d and Sigma 8mm fisheye lens, PTgui 9x and Pano2vr 3.1
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
vilmer

Hehe Dave, you sound like my wife ;-)
I am doing the stitching for someone else, it's a 14mm lens on a Canon 5d, 6 shots, 1 row.
I did not mention this because I didn't think it mattered. As I stated earlier, other pano players don't have this issue with the wavy lines and they also don't show in the stitched image. Also I just noticed that it only appears if you tilt up, so my best guess is, that there is some issue with the cylindrical output of pano2vr.

fyi: this is created with the ptgui flash output, this with Tourweaver. I must say that Tourweaver also has a bit of an issue with the wavy lines, but not as bad as p2vr.

Thanks,
Ronald

**edit: oh yes, I'm using p2vr 3.0, I had issues yesterday with 3.1 so I stepped back to 3.0, but I could see that 3.1 has the same issue.**
Velociped

Hi Ronald,

The amplitude of these "waves" is controlled by the render-quality setting.

Flash Output Settings -> Visuals -> Render Quality
If you set the slider to 12 the waves should disappear in the panorama. (But it needs more CPU power to show and rotate!)
Or set it to 1, just for fun to see the effect. :-)

For my taste I'd love to have the ability to set the Render Quality even higher maybe to 15 or 20 for special purposes.

Regards
Guy