First beta version of Pano2VR 2.0

Q&A about the latest versions
thomas
Chief Gnome

Hello all,

after the preannouncement at the PanoTools meeting in Lucern I would like to officially present the first beta version of Pano2(QT)VR 2.0 panoramic image converter.

First of all the software will be called Pano2VR from now on to reflect the focus on many different VR formats, not just QuickTime. I also registered the company "Garden Gnome Software" which is the new home for the product.

I have rewritten the software from (almost) scratch with Trolltechs Qt framework so I am now able to offer the software on Windows, Mac and Linux at the same time. I have written my own QuickTime engine to be independent from the installed QuickTime version (and to generate QTVRs on Linux).

Some of the main new features are:

* read cubes, strips, equirectangular, and QTVRs
* write QTVR, self contained Flash 8 and Flash 9, thumbnails
* remaps to different projections like angular map, mecator,...
* hotspots for QTVR and Flash
* multi core support
* live preview for remapping
* advanced droplets

There are still some things missing from the old version but these features will be included in one of the next beta versions:

* cylindrical panoramas
* image overlays
* background music
* HTML export

The object movie functionality will be offered in a separate future product.

The new license key works on all platforms and there is an upgrade path from Pano2QTVR with FlashPack.

To download the latest beta go to
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/pano2vr_download.php

There is also a short introduction movie at
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/tutorial.php
to show you the first steps.

A sample of the new Flash 9 format can be found at
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/pano2vr_sample.php

I hope you enjoy this new version.
MfG, Thomas
360Texas

Excellent - Thanks for the announcement.

G Gnome software... as in study in DNA code
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
erik leeman

It seems to work quite nicely, have to get used to the new interface a bit : )
Thanks Thomas, I really regret I couldn't be there with you all in Luzern to witness the pre-introduction.
ThomasK

Just got my upgrade-serial to support the future features... :D
It was nice to met you at Lucerne.

another Thomas (from Genoa)
erik leeman

When I click on the [Modify Viewing Parameters] button a pop-up appears titled 'Panorama Viewing Parameters' which has a large square area that I would expect to be a preview window. In this window only details of the underlaying screen are visible, and when I switch to this Forum page and back, part of this Forum page remains visible in that window. When I adjust the settings in the popup the resulting FlashVR changes accordingly, so at least it works as expected.
In case you'd like to know: I have a Radeon 9800 Pro video adapter with (as far as I know) the latest ATI drivers dated 26-06-07 v8.391.0.0. and I am running Pano2VR beta1 (registered) under Windows XP pro (english version)

Regards,

erik leeman

edit: one more little thing I just noticed,
When I doubleclick on one of those brandspanking new .p2vr files in Windows Explorer an error thingy pops up saying "File can't be opened".
Pano2VR however has no problem opening those files itself from the 'file open' menu-option.
Last edited by erik leeman on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thomas
Chief Gnome

erik leeman wrote:When I click on the [Modify Viewing Parameters] button a pop-up appears titled 'Panorama Viewing Parameters' which has a large square area that I would expect to be a preview window. In this window only details of the underlaying screen are visible, and when I switch to this Forum page and back, part of this Forum page remains visible in that window. When I adjust the settings in the popup the resulting FlashVR changes accordingly, so at least it works as expected.
In case you'd like to know: I have a Radeon 9800 Pro video adapter with (as far as I know) the latest ATI drivers dated 26-06-07 v8.391.0.0.
Uh.... that sounds scary and bad... I use OpenGL to display the preview. Try to change the texture size in the "Settings" menu. Maybe this helps. Otherwise I can send you a version with different Qt DLLs to check if Qt is the source of this error.
MfG, Thomas
erik leeman

I forgot to mention the OS I work with, so I edited my original post.

I really have to log-off now, the alarmclock won't go off an hour later just because I'd like it to ; )
Any tests will have to wait until tomorrow then, sorry 'bout that.

Regards,

erik leeman
Roy Reed

Will embedding external controllers in the Flash output be an option you're going to be adding?
thomas
Chief Gnome

Roy Reed wrote:Will embedding external controllers in the Flash output be an option you're going to be adding?
Yes! It will the there in one of the next betas.
MfG, Thomas
erik leeman

I can't get that preview window working, the default settings already were the lowest possible as far as I could see. There also seems something not ok with the autorotate settings for Flash9.
Right now I am converting my 1000x540 (screensize, Cubefaces are 2100x2100) panos, I can post a link to the (temporary) testpage if you want to see them.

Regards,

erik leeman

edit: here is a link to that testpage
http://www.erikleeman.com/QT/fullscreen ... -DEVAL.htm
You can select QuickTime, DevalVR and Flash for each pano, except for the first three, they are cilindrical and I don't have flash versions of them yet. At this moment 34 are Flash9, generated by Pano2VR 2.0 beta1, they can be recognized by the sepia preview (and quality!!!). The rest will follow a.s.a.p. Also if I find better settings I will replace the ones I did with new ones. There still is a lot to learn and experiment : )
thomas
Chief Gnome

erik leeman wrote:I can't get that preview window working, the default settings already were the lowest possible as far as I could see.
Can you test the new beta1a version? This version is compiled with the newest Qt 4.3.1. Hopefully this fixes your issue.
erik leeman wrote:There also seems something not ok with the autorotate settings for Flash9
Can you be more specific?
MfG, Thomas
Roy Reed

Works for me Thomas - that was really quick work :shock:

I guess I'll be getting my new license key in the morning.
erik leeman

I can't look into it right now and I didn't pay much attention to it yesterday, but when I select 'autorotate / start when finished loading' the Flash9 panos never start rotating at all. I think (but I'm not sure) that the ones where I did NOT select autorotate in fact DO autorotate. I'll install the new beta tonight and try some different autorotate settings and their effect.

Regards,

erik leeman
erik leeman

My memory failed me a little bit, sorry 'bout that.

- when I deselect 'Auto Rotate' completely the Flash9 pano will not (as it should)
- when I select 'Auto Rotate' + 'Only in Focus', but NOT 'Start after fully Loaded', the pano will autorotate (as it should)
- when I select 'Auto Rotate' + 'Only in Focus' + 'Start after fully Loaded', the pano will NOT autorotate.

So it is 'Start after fully Loaded' that doesn't appear to work properly.

Regards,

erik leeman

edit: this is also the case after installing beta 1a.
Unfortunately the preview window still does not work with beta 1a, no change from beta 1.
thomas
Chief Gnome

erik leeman wrote: - when I deselect 'Auto Rotate' completely the Flash9 pano will not (as it should)
- when I select 'Auto Rotate' + 'Only in Focus', but NOT 'Start after fully Loaded', the pano will autorotate (as it should)
- when I select 'Auto Rotate' + 'Only in Focus' + 'Start after fully Loaded', the pano will NOT autorotate.

So it is 'Start after fully Loaded' that doesn't appear to work properly.
ok, I will fix that with the next version
erik leeman wrote:Unfortunately the preview window still does not work with beta 1a, no change from beta 1.
damn.... I will try to find a solution. Can I send you a OpenGL test - application to test some things?
MfG, Thomas