ouput for ipad

Q&A about the latest versions
atomicmak

Dear sir,
as per the given instruction on forum having max screen size 1025 and tilesize 768 or 1024 i made output's but on the ipad the quality of the pano is not good. i tried quality 100% as well but again at the 70 degree fov it dosent look quite sharp instead it looks pixelated or compression of jpg visible.

can someone please guide on how to overcome to this ?
smooth

atomicmak wrote:can someone please guide on how to overcome to this ?
Err, don't buy an iPad!
Seriously, I have mentioned before that Easypano programmers have settled on cube faces of 955px
Wim, stated recently that he had settled on 960px cube faces.

Any bigger the the iPad will crash due to lack of memory (so you will also need to keep the compression high and file size small).
Really to date the iPad has been a MAJOR disappointment for panorama VR.

Regards, Smooth 8)
atomicmak

Thanks a lot sir for the prompt response.
just trying various settings. yeah i have ipad1 and it has limited memory for such panorama projects. but do have to do it for a client so i dont have much choice except to build at best reasonable output ....

Thanks agains for the reply and hope i get reasonable quality to present to client.
smooth

As Wim mentioned, probably best to take away zooming because quality is poor.
iPhone seems to work far better.

Regards, Smooth 8)
atomicmak

thanks sir
i've already disabled the zoomin/out...
atomicmak

was trying one more experiment.

5000x2500 tiff as input equi.

convert to cubic option and gave 960pixel cubeface.
it made and i used old file.xml rename jpg to png as this time i tried png from cubeface option.
quality was little better but i lost some alignmenet as on top it was borken on alignment.

any idea on this sir how to replace exact file as previously i made jpg output html5 and cubeface 960 then i replace jpg to png in xml as i made convert to cubic.

thanks in advance ...
smooth

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here?
A cube face in .jpg will be say 250kb and the same in .png 1.8mb the iPad can't deal with such large files.

Your objective would be to keep the complete scene under 1mb. Meaning each cube face is around 160kb max.

Please tell me how this panorama displays on your iPad?
www.omnipix.net/temp/ipad

Regards, Smooth 8)
atomicmak

Dear smooth sir,
i am makgin an app version where i would be including all images inside app.
this will be a web app but offline for ipad for a client.

Now i tried 960px cubeface and it didnt crashed on ipad but at the same time problem is that the quality i see is not that fair and we dont see that sharp results.

will try to play around with cubeface and quality parameters and see if i can get under the memory limits. seems have to do trial and error checks (debug) and see what best fits.

will keep update on this one with diff trials what goes good.

thanks for the help sir
regards
mak
Hopki
Gnome

@ Smooth
The iPad opens ok, however things to avoid:

Hide and Show actions
Alpha Actions

This causes big problems, when i used the zoom, mobile Safari crashed, I suspect that the tool tips caused this.

What does work however is:
Scale Actions
Move actions

This mean you can set element scale to 0/0 to hide an element and then use set element scale 1/1 to show it. You can then also use the change/set element position to slide elements off screen or in a masking container.
I did post a iDevice friendly version of the simplex skin, but its easy enough to mod, just remember that you also need to do the information box as well.

I have been working on an iPad version of a up and coming tour with assorts of over the top stuff, sound, radars etc, sticking to the above rules its all working fine.
The 4th gen iDevices, Phone/Pods seem to handle things better then the iPad 1st gen, lets see what the 2nd gen iPad does......
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
atomicmak

@hopki .. very true sir.
i was going through the Tour Wrist. they did really made quality output of all the panos..

just discovered they used krpano.

am trying to build through NimbleKit not the Objective-C so yeah you are right that putting animations will make it crash for sure. but the problem with optimizing image with tilesize 1024 is just horrible..

here is one file i wish if you can check 960 tile size and see the compression issues coming in.
http://www.kevincreation.com/download/Reception.jpg
smooth

Hopki wrote:@ Smooth
The iPad opens ok, however things to avoid:

Hide and Show actions
Alpha Actions

This causes big problems, when i used the zoom, mobile Safari crashed, I suspect that the tool tips caused this.

What does work however is:
Scale Actions
Move actions
Thanks Hopki,

You know I didn't even consider this as I don't really care about iDevices and even less about iPad. But I should have known better as I was fully aware of this iOS4.2/3 error and had mentioned to others.
I simply used the skin I had just added the home button to. It was more about the tile size and whether it displayed nice on the iPad.
But anyway, because of your prompt I have updated the sample (skin) for iPad feedback for those who care.
http://www.omnipix.net/temp/ipad

Regards, Smooth 8)
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
@atomicmak
Please see Here
This is 960px @ 90% quality, knowing that you use your finger to navigate and pinch zoom, I got rid of the said buttons as they are redundant.
I did keep some of the other buttons as I thought they may be useful.
Seems to work ok on my iPod Touch 4th Gen and my iPad ok.

I have also uploaded the manifest file, so open it up in mobile Safari and then Add to Home Screen. This will allow to have off line viewing and give you a little more viewing area without the need for GoodReader or similar Apps.

Regards
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Smooth
Very cool, the zoom is now very responsive.
Way to go :D
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
atomicmak

Dear sir,

this is lightning fast.
btw the one you shared was surely a great improvement from what i was doing. quality is far more sharper than my output.

Here is what i was doing.
intput same file as you did.

used Interpolation : "Lanczos 3"

your xml shows that you used 1250px cubeface where in it'll 100% crash the app. safari browser will still run it for sometime but as soon as it goes in app it gets crashed ..

have you added any extra sharpness ?

thanks for your precious time and help.
i really appreciate it.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
I used 960, i did try 1250 with lots of compression but 960 is far more stable.
I also used Blackman/sink filter, its a bit sharper then most.
Regards
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com