Pano2vr.v3b4 iphone issues

Q&A about the latest versions
Robert Harshman

Just trying a simple single VR, works fine in Flash, mutliresolution, but has some odd quirks in html5 on a iPhone 3Gs v4.2.1OS.

Used the normal.ggt template to produce with the simplex skin. The skin was slightly customized to allow for word wrap and Auto size on the information screen.

When I view the VR on the phone it opens as a way too big full screen (I guess) zoomed out too much. If I double tap it looks a bit more normal, but the simplex controls buttons are too large when phone is turned horizontal, just fine when vertical, at least they are on my phone, do these auto size based on screen width?

And just a nit, when the browser window is moved back to "menu" where you can change/close/open windows only the controls and a small version of the bottom cube show up in the display.

Here's the link so you can see how it works or not on other devices, etc.

http://www.robertharshman.com/360vr/bml/lobby_i5.html
smooth

Robert,

There is something wrong totally. It doesn't even display correctly with Safari on a PC.
One time I did manage to get 5 tiles of the 6 but it reacts very strangely.

Even attempting to view the single tiles the browser display reacts funny.
http://www.robertharshman.com/360vr/bml ... a__o_0.jpg
It downloads part way, retracts, does a bit more, flashes and finally you get the image (using Safari).

Not sure why you have 300 pixels tiles for either?

I think I would delete, republish and upload again.

Regards, Smooth 8)
Robert Harshman

Thanks Smooth,

I've re-generated the tiles, cubes and swf and am uploading them now. So it will be a 10 minutes or so before the upload is finished.

Seems I've got some type of html 5 issues as the tour works just fine in Flash, on Chrome, FF, etc. I thought this version of Pano2VR was going to look to the screen size to bypass html 5 on the desktop until at least more browsers support it. Perhaps thats the next release or I'm read that somewhere else.

Anyway, I added the 300 pixel set of cubes simply based on the example tutorial, could not remember any devices that small, but figured it really could not hurt since they should only be used if a screen less than 480 pixels is used to look at the tour. For this test, I've removed them but I doubt that's the issue.

It may well be related to the cube size I'm using in the html 5 output setting, about 3800. Perhaps this is too big for a html 5 desktop browser?

Just tested the local version of what I'm uploading and I don't think you'll see any difference, at least on the desktop. But it's late here, I have to leave this until sometime tomorrow.

Regards,

Robert
smooth

Robert Harshman wrote:I've re-generated the tiles, cubes and swf and am uploading them now. So it will be a 10 minutes or so before the upload is finished.
I have had another look and now I don't see anything? Nothing with Safari on my PC and nothing via my iPhone.
Robert Harshman wrote:I thought this version of Pano2VR was going to look to the screen size to bypass html 5 on the desktop until at least more browsers support it. Perhaps thats the next release or I'm read that somewhere else.
Not that I heard? I suggested that we need a script that based on screen resolution would offer Flash first on Safari, if for sake or the argument the resolution was above iPad's 1024 pixel cube face.
Robert Harshman wrote:It may well be related to the cube size I'm using in the html 5 output setting, about 3800. Perhaps this is too big for a html 5 desktop browser?
Possibly, never put it to the test at sizes over 2880 pixels.

Regards, Smooth 8)
smooth

OK, just took another look (you have fixed it since waking?)

It now displays correctly (or at least as expected) on both iPhone 3Gs and PC via Safari browser.

Apart from the zoom buttons not working (which Thomas knows about) and the fact you really need it to display in a Fullscreen format for it to display screen sized on iDevices.
Either use the fullscreen_html5.ggt or fullscreen_flash_fallback.ggt and you should be sorted.

V3.0 Beta 5 will have the fix for zoom buttons.

Regards, Smooth 8)
Robert Harshman

OK, should work now, at least on Safari, I've cut the cube size back to 2100 or so and it's working locally. As expected I guess, but the full screen button only fills the browser, not the screen.

But none of this explains the phone issue I'm seeing. Perhaps their is issue with the Max FOV mode or is the behavior I'm seeing on my phone what suppose to happen?

OK, thanks Smooth, saw your note after I wrote this, find it hard to believe the "normal.ggt" produces this less than idea display on the iPhone. Seems like it opens to full screen but perhaps I've got it backwards and it's only full screen that works. I'll try the other ggt's and see if that works for me.

Regards,

Robert
Last edited by Robert Harshman on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smooth

Robert Harshman wrote:.... but the full screen button only fills the browser, not the screen.
You only ever get full browser with HTML5 not total full screen.
Robert Harshman wrote:But none of this explains the phone issue I'm seeing. Perhaps their is issue with the Max FOV mode or is the behavior I'm seeing on my phone what suppose to happen?
What you are seeing is because you need to select a fullscreen_html5.ggt/html at publish. Being smaller than that is pointless on a mobile device anyway. But I do totally understand what you are seeing.

See my post before this one.

Regards, Smooth 8)
Robert Harshman

OK, tried the full_screen_idevices....ggt and it kind of works better, but like Wim in another thread, it seems the FOV option is broken, at least "MAX" did not work, Vertical seems to.

But this ggt or something is broken too. If you open the pano with the phone in vertical position, it works as expected, but flip the phone to horizontal and it's back to a non-full screen default window size I guess - in my case I'm using 850 by 500.

A bit more, this ggt also opens poorly when the iphone is in horizontal orientation. and the display still only shows the bottom cube when going to thew open/close/change window or mode.

Also, I like the size of the controls when the phone is vertical, but they are too large when the phone is horizontal. Can the size of these be controlled or set per device or screen size?

Regards,

Robert
smooth

Your panorama displays fine for me, maybe your iDevice is calling cache?

The buttons are the same size in vertical or horizontal orientation. Loading in either direction works the same, once fully loaded the address bar retracts.
As for the vertical vs max option I only use vertical FOV as the screen resolution simply doesn't get high enough with iDevices, though I can understand for computer display.

What are you viewing it with/on?

Regards, Smooth 8)
Robert Harshman

OK, thanks again, it was calling cache - thought I had cleared it out, but now it is and working better.

Still has the only bottom cube shown on the close/change/open mode, but all else appears to work.

And I'm currently using a iPhone 3Gs

Look's like I spoke too soon. It is still broken. Try going back and forth between horz/vert a few times or letting your phone go into power saving mod and then come back. The horizontal orientation gets messed up. The buttons get bigger and the view may also expand.

Regards,

Robert