Got Pano, Now What?

Q&A about the latest versions
Av8Chuck

For the last six months I've done nothing but shoot Panoramic Shots, used Stitcher to assemble and Pano2VR to create spherical panoramas. This is a lot of fun and my images have improved quite a bit in that time.

Now I would like to embed them into a website that can be viewed on iDevices. I have no idea how to do that. All of the Panos produced in Pano2VR are Quicktime.

Can anyone point me to some references that would help me figure this out?

I'd like to create a more custom look, is that possible with Quicktime? I've been told that Panoramas created in Flash won't play on iPads etc., is that true?

I realize this is a very vague request, I'm looking for tutorials, references, or advice that can get me headed in the right direction. Any help is greatly appreciated.
smooth

Quicktime VR has been left behind pretty much.
Flash is the most popular standard these days and what you should be aiming at producing.
HTML5 (Safari) tours will play on any device that uses the Safari browser I.E: Computer, iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad.

All these can be produced with Pano2VR by adding the option via "Output"
output.jpg
output.jpg (7.38 KiB) Viewed 8867 times
You should view and understand all video tutorials available.
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/tutorial.php
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/vi ... =13&t=5606

Hopefully that will point you in the right direction.

Regards, Smooth 8)
Av8Chuck

Thanks that does help.

Does Flash play on iDevices?

I don't have the HTML5 option available, I'm using the 2.3.4, how do you get the Pano2VR beta?

Thanks
smooth

Av8Chuck wrote:Does Flash play on iDevices?
No.
Av8Chuck wrote:I don't have the HTML5 option available, I'm using the 2.3.4, how do you get the Pano2VR beta?
Download from the usual download page.
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/pano2vr_ ... d.php#beta

Regards, Smooth 8)
Av8Chuck

Thanks again, unfortunately I'm having a difficult time of this. I upgraded to the beta version but it clobbered my key so now its in trail mode, how do you get in touch with their support?

Also, it created a folder with images, an xml file and a pano2vr_player.js file but I can't open it?
smooth

Av8Chuck wrote:Thanks again, unfortunately I'm having a difficult time of this. I upgraded to the beta version but it clobbered my key so now its in trail mode, how do you get in touch with their support?
Version 3 is an upgrade and thus you will need to part with minimum cash for the great new features. Version 3 requires a NEW product key.

You can always uninstalled the version 3 and reinstall version 2 and use your existing key for the older version.
Av8Chuck wrote:Also, it created a folder with images, an xml file and a pano2vr_player.js file but I can't open it?
You must also generate the .html file and open this .html file with Safari browser. It (HTML5 format) will NOT work in other browsers.

Regards, Smooth 8)
Av8Chuck

Just curious, does Quicktime open in IE, Firefox, Chrome and on iDevices?

So is this how it shapes up:

Flash works with everything accept iDevices

HTML5 only works in Safari and on iDevices but nothing else

Quicktime works on everything that has the Quicktime reader on PC's, Macs, iDevices and smart phones like Droid? Even if Quicktime VR might not have the best bells and whistles, isn't the best choices for broadest applicability?
smooth

Av8Chuck wrote:Just curious, does Quicktime open in IE, Firefox, Chrome and on iDevices?
Quicktime and QTVR are two different things. Quicktime VR does NOT work on iDevices.
Av8Chuck wrote:So is this how it shapes up:

Flash works with everything accept iDevices
Pretty much!
Av8Chuck wrote:HTML5 only works in Safari and on iDevices but nothing else
Correct
Av8Chuck wrote:Quicktime works on everything that has the Quicktime reader on PC's, Macs, iDevices and smart phones like Droid? Even if Quicktime VR might not have the best bells and whistles, isn't the best choices for broadest applicability?
No, Quicktime VR is in it's death throws. It does NOT work on iDevices. Quite simply - forget QTVR.

Regards, Smooth 8)
Av8Chuck

So if you want your panos to display on iDevices, PC and Macs what do you use?
smooth

Av8Chuck wrote:So if you want your panos to display on iDevices, PC and Macs what do you use?
HTML5/CSS3 for PC/MAC with Safari Browsers, iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch.
Flash for normal browsers. You can use the Flash fallback .ggt where it will detect what browser is being used and offer up the correct option automatically.

Regards, Smooth 8)
Higgins

Not sure if this sounds stupid, but I have a licensed pro version of PTGUI with the player that comes with it.
Its a combined flash/html5 player and works fine on my iphone with panos I have stitched with PTGUI.

I'm not a java or js programmer (but everything from assembler to C++ :-) ) Is there a chance I can use that player with
Pano2VR ? Can I just exchange them and update the html file ? loading the "Pano2VR" player ?

If not, where do I find this fallback.ggt file ? I find normal and fullscreen and a SPi-V, but thats it ?

Thanks for the help.

Michael
smooth

Higgins wrote:Not sure if this sounds stupid, ........... Is there a chance I can use that player with
Pano2VR ? Can I just exchange them and update the html file ? loading the "Pano2VR" player ?
No.
Higgins wrote:If not, where do I find this fallback.ggt file ? I find normal and fullscreen and a SPi-V, but thats it ?
The Flash fallback .ggt is NOT an official offering of GardenGnome Software is was kindly offered by a forum member hansvw after vilmer offered his solution.
A quick search of the forum will turn it up.

Regards, Smooth 8)
Higgins

thanks again Smooth. Sorry, should have searched in the forum first before asking. Need getting used to it
Av8Chuck

Thanks for all the advice, this gets rather confusing and complicated quickly. I thought Apple was supposed to make things simpler?

I couldn't find a tutorial for using the Flash fallback .ggt, do I generate the Flash version first and link to it? If so that's what I tried and here are a couple of observations.

When I create the Flash/HTML [the HTML in the output panel for Flash] and choose and edit the skin, in my case the controller_slide2.ggsk it works great. I end up with three files - title.swf, title.html and p2q_embeded-object.js. I can open the html page and the controls and the pano work, since I'm on a Mac I cannot open the title.swf.

When I try the same process to create the HTML5 version, even using the same skin, when I output it there completely different buttons that don't work, I linked to the title.swf file that I created earlier and when I output this I get about 25 files, non of which is a .swf file. If I just generate the HTML5 file that works great.

So maybe a better strategy, rather than try to solve the issue of "to iPad, or not to iPad" in Pano2VR would be to give each type of Pano to my web developer and let him implement the fallback.

Not to start a flame war but I don't understand, why would Apple choose to not implement Flash in favor of vaporware? I thought it was an iPad issue, I had no idea that it was a Safari issue. I almost fell out of my chair when I tried to open the same HTML5 pano in Firefox and it wouldn't open. Sorry the rant and thanks for your patience. Couldn't/shouldn't the fallback.ggt be the otherway around, generate the Flash version and then have the HTML5 as the fallback, especially when the mobile devices don't need the menus as much.
smooth

First of all Apple are NOT and in my mind will never be, "the be all and end all".
They DO have a track record of making life difficult and moving the goal posts to suit their own ends. Steve Jobs says NO to Flash.

That said, they DO make some wonderful products, they are NOT going anywhere and their products are more suited to people who like a simplified life for whatever reason.
I'm not inciting a flame war either, it's just how it is!

Now onto your issues:

The way to do it, (Flash Fallback from HTML5) and YES HTML/CSS3 is designed for ONLY Safari browsers (a limited Apple thing).

1) Make a Flash panorama (.swf file) don't bother with the .html for the Flash version.
2) Make a HTML/CSS3 panorama and choose (from version 3 Beta 5) the "normal.ggt" html template and select the Flash Fallback file option and enter the name of the .swf file. (Optional: check box if you would like Flash to be shown first "if available" with Safari on a PC or MAC) Irrelevant for iDevices.
3) Publish to the same directory as the .swf file.
html5_flash-fallback_options.jpg
html5_flash-fallback_options.jpg (93.44 KiB) Viewed 8637 times
You will end up with the following files:

1.) .swf
2.) .html
3.) .xml
4.) images (folder and contents)
5.) p2q_embed_object.js
6.) pano2vr_player.js
7.) skin.js
8.) modernizr-1.5.min.js
9.)* tiles (folder and contents) "if" you have made a multi-res Flash panorama. (*Optional)

Things of note: You can assign different skins to the Flash and HTML5/CSS3 panoramas. Or you can assign the very same skin BUT! if you choose this latter option you must have HTML5 compliant skin. I.E: No alpha fades. Make sure your info pop up is small enough to fit on the screen of an iPhone. Pano2VR supplies 1 default HTML5/CSS3 skin called Simplex.ggsk if you are unsure about the skin being used - use the simplex skin.

By default, Apple computers are not set up to open .swf files.
You CAN open a .swf file on an Apple computer but you have to set and assign the properties for which a .swf file should be "opened with" this can be a browser I.E: Safari or Flash De-bug standalone if you download it for use.

Regards, Smooth 8)