Help.... External image

Q&A about the latest versions
MetlabBob

Hi Folks,

I'm using the external image/flash element with the set text parameter to place an external image. The image is in the same directory and works fine locally, but will not load on the site. I know I must be missing something but currently am lost as to why this is not working.

This is what the tree looks like

This is where it's supposed to go.

I have no problem with the external swf file you see just a little further down.

Thanks
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
I have set up and tested this, and all seems to work for me.
I have one external loader (External 1) and three rectangles, one shows and hides while the other two change the image with a set text action.

Skin Elements

External 1:
Not Visible, and External Url: top.jpg
As its not a SWF I don’t have Unload ticked, but in my testes this does not effect images in any case.

Rectangle 1
Mouse Click > Toggle Element Visibility > Target: External 1

Rectangle 2
Mouse Click > Set Text > Text: bottom.jpg > Target: External 1

Rectangle 3
Mouse Click > Set Text > Text: top.jpg > Target: External 1

All the files are in a folder called il (image loader):

index.html
p2q_embed_object.js
park_out.swf
top.jpg
bottom.jpg

The jpg’s are 300 x 300 px

You can see it here: http://hopkimedia.co.uk/il

The first rectangle shows and hides the external image loader.
The second sets the text to load the bottom.jpg
The third sets the text to load the top.jpg.

I can only think it may be that the container Artifact_Container is set to Alpha 0 or is hidden. A child will adopt the parents attributes so Close_Artifact and ex_flash will be hidden also. Also regardless the size you set the external image loader it will always display the image its original size. However you can use Scale to resize it in the output.

Hope any of this helps
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
MetlabBob

Thanks Hopki,

I made sure that the element was positioned correctly, but it still would not work. I moved the flash all over the place within the hierarchy and in all cases it appeared locally, but not on the website. Although not a great solution, I converted the jpg to a flash swf file and it loaded and displayed with no problem whatsoever. I'm not sure if it is related to the problem, but the mouse cursor also disappears when the frame containing the flash appears. It only re-appears if I move it off the frame then move it back on the frame, or simply click.

I'll keep trying.

Cheers
Bob
MetlabBob

Problem solved...

Special thanks to Martin here for all his help. It's easy to be tripped up by the simplest things.

If you try to load and external image with a filename Sams_Bar.JPG and name it Sams_bar.JPG in the skin, it will load on the local machine but will not load on the site because all servers are case sensitive.

Cheers

Bob