new and need lots of help

Q&A about the latest versions
Sarasota Mike

I downloaded and began making a 360 pano yesterday. I have the pano2qtvr version, non pro. I can make a 360 and display it on screen fine. What I'm not understanding is the swff or flash converting. In a nutshell, how do I do it so I can email it or post something to a web? This coding stuff is a little deep for me. I've spent the last 2 days and I'm giving up. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance. Mike
360Texas

Hi Mike, Welcome to the Forum

I moved your comment to this Pano2vr General list because it will get more exposure to the folks that can help you.
Would that be Sarasota located in New York ? My wife is from Granville Up State New York.

Are you using a PC or Mac.. it makes a small difference.
What sitching software are you using?
Are you using the Pano2qtvr beta ? or Pano2qtvr - Flash?
Are you using cylinder or spherical type panorama ?

You need to be able to upload your panorama to your "Website" ? Do you have a URL ?
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
Sarasota Mike

Thank you for replying. I'm in Sarasota FL, I didn't know there was one in NY. Too cold in NY!!

I'm using a pc (windows), I have the free version pano2qtvr gui. The info doesn't say beta or flash, just the gui part. I down loaded it yesterday. I've been using cylinder. I don't have a web page, just wanted to make it work, just want to send neet photos to friends. If I can make it work, I would like to do one for my astronomy club, one of everybody with their equipment set up, they would probably post on our website. Thats down the road, for now I just want to get it working.
I have stitched it using both photoshop elements 8 and autostitch.
Do I have to have a website?

Thanks again. Mike
Sarasota Mike

Hi Dave, I'm doing this as a new topic. I answered your reply to my original post, but was not sure if you would see it. I've never had a need to use a forum before, so I apoloize if it seems like spam. I'm not to sure of the forum process and I'm just tryning to cover all of my bases. My response to your reply is pasted below:

Thank you for replying. I'm in Sarasota FL, I didn't know there was one in NY. Too cold in NY!!

I'm using a pc (windows), I have the free version pano2qtvr gui. The info doesn't say beta or flash, just the gui part. I down loaded it yesterday. I've been using cylinder. I don't have a web page, just wanted to make it work, just want to send neat photos to friends. If I can make it work, I would like to do one for my astronomy club, one of everybody with their equipment set up, they would probably post on our website. Thats down the road, for now I just want to get it working.
I have stitched it using both photoshop elements 8 and autostitch.
Do I have to have a website?

Also, do I have to own Adobe Flash? If so, at $700 it's just not going to happen so I might as well give up now.

Thanks again. Mike
360Texas

If you have not already done so.. you might consider visiting this page

http://gardengnomesoftware.com/tutorial.php

Scroll down to Panotqtvr and view the tutorial for 'Partial Cylinder'. I think if you take 1 full 360 cylindar series of images in camera wide angle PORTRAIT (camera image long side up) you will maximize the vertical field of view of your club friends and their setup astronomy equipment. Set your camera to take the largest images. You can always resize your stitched image smaller for use in pano2qtvr.

You will need to make sure that your tripod head is set level. Image overlap should be at least 30 to 50% overlap between image pairs. That should help with stitching.

The final stitched image can be brought into Pano2qtvr for creating a qtvr .mov file.

One issue you will probably encounter is 1 VERY LARGE .mov output file. The way you reduce the .mov file is to return to your graphics editor and resize it to say 1/2 size dimensions.. then try again in Pano2QTVR for a smaller output .mov which might be suitable for email and website. Suitable QTVR .mov for website might be around 1mb.

Viewing
Pano2qtvr outputs to .mov file format. Apple QTVR browser plugin for web browsers.
Ah no we were referring to the free Adobe Flash viewer for flash output file types... Pano2vr creates flash .swf files.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Sarasota Mike

Ok, I've gone through the tutorials. I can make the panoramic shot no problem. I can create it with cylindrical no problem, create and save it as a mov file. Whe I email the file, I get a blank screen. I opened it up on another computer and it opened in windows media player and I get a blank screen. nothing happens.

I tried to open the file using the canon software that came with the camera. The canon films in mov format and I'm able to open other files/movie. It can't open cylindrical shot, it stops and says file can't be imported. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you again for your time and expertise. Mike
360Texas

You might need to download Quicktime 7.6.9 for Windows.
Just select Quicktime only.. not the "with iTunes" portion from Apples website.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

This should also add to your computer the windows file type association .mov in your web browser. We use IE 8 and Firefox.
If you are running a PC with Windows XP you should have installed already Service Pack 2 or better.

We also use SKYPE contact name iam360texas

Dave still at 360texas
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Sarasota Mike

No luck. I'm throwing in the towel. This has cost me 4 days of my life and I need to surrender. Thanks for your help. Do you know of any other software that may be easier? And, of course, cheap or free? Thank you again for your help. Mike
acer4x

Hi Mike,
Did you try the Pano2VR application? This may be the one you need to download and work with....
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/pano2vr.php
Pano2QTVR is the original version and does not export to the latest Flash 9 or 10 for best viewing.

Pano2VR will create a flash file which you can email to your friends - it also will create an html page for the swf file which will allow your friends to view your pano in a browser window on their computer. If they have the Flash Player installed then they do not need to view from a browser window and you can skip the html page. You do not need the Adobe Flash application, just the Flash player or the Flash browser plugin (which almost everyone has).

Read this FAQ page also:
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/wiki/FAQ ... clients.3F

Also, your cylinder must match the dimensions of an equirectangular image before you try to build the flash file in Pano2VR.

hth,

acer4x
360Texas

Mike, its not clear to us as to what its not doing .
It would be helpful if you could provide more technical information as to what its not doing.
Other than that we would only be guessing as how to help you.

Need more information please
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
Sarasota Mike

Here is exactly what I'm doing:
Open it up-New project automatically puts me in the project tab.
It defaults to equirectangular, box below it says equirectangular image then the [...} box
I click on that box, it goes to the file and I select the panoramic shot
then click create.
It does its thing, windo open up and I get the 360 immersive. click ok and it closes. it is then saved as a mov file.
Here is where it gets wierd, I emasil the mov and i get the following message:

C:\Users\D'Amico\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\ULUBXZF8\NewProject[1].mov could not be imported.

1) it is defaulting to windows
2) the picture/movie "magically" changes to a different movie. One of my kid running along. I can tell by the first image that is coming up.

So I tried to open it with the canon software which runs mov files and I get halted -can not import file, no preview available.

Something isn't being clicked right between the saving and opening part.

How do i ensure the equi and the cyln are the same size, adjust the pix height and width?
Mike
360Texas

Well, I just tried to replicate your process using a 6000 wide x 2985 cylinder (non 2:1 ratio image).

First thing I noticed was that the .mov image was too barrel distorted... pinched top and bottom.
the .mov looked odd when viewed in a 600 x 300 qtvr viewer

So I went to the Settings tab and found the TILE SETTINGs box and select check marked [x] no 3D distortion
The clicked on the [Create] it went through the batch job .. finally ended and popuped a QTVR viewer and displayed the image .. all the people were standing up straight now.

I think the free trial version has a 30 day time limit.

Dave
Dave
Visit 360texas.com