HTML5 ? Webkit-CSS3 ? HTML5/CSS3 ?

Q&A about the latest versions
Wim.Koornneef

@ Thomas,

There is wide spread in the naming of "HTML5" panos such as created by Pano2VR 3 and PTGui 9.
Some call such panos CSS3-Webkit (or Webkit-CSS3) , HTML5 (sometimes with the addition CSS3 and/or Webkit) and you call it HTML5/CSS3 (as stated on the output button of Pano2VR 3) but as someone pointed me out in fact the output of Pano2VR 3 has absolutely nothing to do with HTML5.
It seems to be all about Webkit, CSS3 and Javascript so I really wonder why the Pano2VR 3 output is named HTML5/CSS3.

Can you enlighten me ?

Thanks in advance,
Wim
alabwab

Hi Wim,
although you asked Thomas for an answer, I would like to share my thoughts concerning HTML5/CSS3:
AFAIK "HTML5/CSS3" is used as a general and unspecific term to refer to new (standards of) technologies used in (future versions of) browsers and consequently in the markup and the style sheets of web-sites. I cannot find any HTML5-markup in the files triggering the HTML5/CSS3-panoramas but rather javascript. Viewing the panorama in a browser is only possible if the browser is capable of CSS3 3D transformations which is checked by the modernizr-javascript. So technically it's a matter of CSS3.
Information on HTML5
http://diveintohtml5.org/

Greetings
Alois
thomas
Chief Gnome

I have tried to explain it in this thread and I think time will tell what the best name is and what "sticks". As HTML5 and CSS3 are linked together, and JavaScript makes it all work maybe "HTML5 based, CSS3 3D transformation player using JavaScript" would be a more correct term but as buzz word, specially as in Apples "Flash vs. HTML5" fight "HTML5" is in my eyes a good term.
I use "HTML5/CSS3" in Pano2VR to make the distinction between the CSS3 3D transformations and WebGL which may be available in the next browser versions. At the moment I see no urgent need for a Pano2VR WebGL player as all those browser support also Flash, but we will see what happens in the next months/years...
MfG, Thomas
smooth

So far it's SMC (Safari Mobile Compliant) has little to do with a HTML5 "standard" not that there is such a thing!

Regards, Smooth 8)
Wim.Koornneef

Hello Thomas,
thomas wrote:...As HTML5 and CSS3 are linked together, and JavaScript makes it all work maybe "HTML5 based, CSS3 3D transformation player using JavaScript" would be a more correct term but as buzz word, specially as in Apples "Flash vs. HTML5" fight "HTML5" is in my eyes a good term.....
Thanks for clarifying, you are right, using the correct term isn't a real option as the description is way to long to be handy and because the player is based on HTML5 using the buzz word "HTML5" sounds also fine to me.
thomas wrote:...I use "HTML5/CSS3" in Pano2VR to make the distinction between the CSS3 3D transformations and WebGL which may be available in the next browser versions. At the moment I see no urgent need for a Pano2VR WebGL player as all those browser support also Flash, but we will see what happens in the next months/years...
At this moment as far as I know only the beta of FireFox (Minefield) can handle WebGL (perhaps some betas of other browsers as well).
I have seen the WebGL pano examples made by Prof. Helmut Dersch so it could happen in time that WebGL will be widely accepted for displaying panos.

If this is the case I have no doubt that you will make Pano2VR capable to output WebGL based panos.
I guess, based on your explanation that it is possible that the output button for WebGL based panos then will be named "HTML5/WebGL".

Obviously by then the single word "HTML5" will be no longer sufficient to tag the pano, using "HTML5/CSS3" and "HTML5/WebGL" to make a distinction between the platforms is possible but because a lot of us (me including) prefer to use short words just "CSS3" and "WebGL" could be very well the new buzz words by then ;-)

Thanks again.

Best,
Wim