iPad (1024x768) HTML5 screen test

Q&A about the latest versions
erik leeman

Hi all,

I've made a new HTML5 version of the screentest pano I posted almost a year ago, this time for 1024x768 screens like the iPad has.
Here's a link to the zip-file:
http://www.erikleeman.com/ZIP/iPad_Pano_screentest.zip

Load and unzip it into your iPad using GoodReader (or a similar app), so you can view the test pano completely full-screen in landscape orientation.
This is important, scaling won't work properly in a normal Safari window.

For a preview here's a link to the on-line version:
http://tinyurl.com/iPad-screentest
But, again, note that you cannot make this one completely full-screen in Safari.

What it does:

It shows you how large you must make your cube faces so you can zoom in to 100% pixel size.
It also shows you how much the image quality of those cube faces actually degrades when viewed this way.

For this purpose I placed parts of a highly detailed image in the skin, and part of it on a cube face.
After making the pano full screen in GoodReader, If you zoom in to a Vertical FoV of 45 degrees, you'll see that the pano bit of the image will fit exactly between the skin parts.
You will also see how much it has become blurred compared to the pieces in the skin.

A year ago this series of test panos helped me understand how to choose my settings in Pano2VR, and what image quality I will get with them.
This version did the same for me regarding panos for the iPad.
It might help you too, who knows.

Cheers!

Erik
erik leeman

Here's what you should see on your iPad with the test pano in GoodReader at full screen:

(screenshot made on a PC using Safari v5.0.1 for Windows)

The (moving) middle part of the world map at the top of the screen should fit exactly between the (stationary) left- and right parts when the pano is zoomed in to a Vertical FoV of 45 degrees.
The 'original width' and 'original height' arrows should fit (almost) exactly inside the boundaries of the screen, indicating that 1024 x 768 pixels of the original cube face are visible on the 1024 x 768 iPad screen.
This is what is called 100% zoom, or 1x magnification.

The only way to achieve this for a 1024x768 screen is to make your cube faces 1852x1852 pixels for Flash and QuickTime, or 1862x1862 pixels for HTML5.
Pano2VR HTML5 needs cube faces with a FoV slightly wider than 90x90 degrees to make the cubeface edges invisible.

Erik