Pano2VR 3.0 beta multiresolution

Q&A about the latest versions
marfot.com

Pano2VR ver. 3 beta multiresolution work well, although so slow.
Below my 2 examples of multiresolution:
http://gigapano.net/multires/bryce/
http://gigapano.net/multires/stradom/
thomas
Chief Gnome

marfot.com wrote:Pano2VR ver. 3 beta multiresolution work well, although so slow.
What do you mean with slow? The conversion or the player?
MfG, Thomas
mbb

thomas wrote: What do you mean with slow? The conversion or the player?
In my first test of the multiresolution functionality (using 9000px cube faces), I found the player to be responsive enough.

The creation process however was slow. It shouldn't be necessary to do all the scaling and resampling every time one opens the project. A smaller version of the image should really be cached/saved within the p2vr project file and updated when necessary no? Otherwise this will quickly become inconvenient as one starts working with larger files on a regular basis. Doesn't look like the process is using both processors either.

Whole program crashed and popped up a crash log when I tried to add an area hotspot btw. Right after p2vr asked if I wanted to create the png image for the hotspots. No png file was written as a result of the crash.

Perhaps the player should use a low resolution version of the image for its background so one doesn't have to see the white (or other color) patches being filled in as you rotate the pano.
mbb

Another Issue while testing the multi-resolution swf file from my server-

Full Screen option (right click on pano) does not work in Safari (v5.01, OS X). It does work in Firefox however. I am using the p2vr supplied default .html export and included .js file.
mbb

mbb wrote: Doesn't look like the process is using both processors either.
oops.. have to retract that- it does look like portions of the export process (like image scaling) are utilizing both processors.
mbb

Output directory and file name issues-

Apparently you have multiple places where the filenames and output directories for the different output files are specified (and under multiple tabs preventing one from seeing all of these at once), this can result in files being saved in different locations (and under different names) as opposed to having them all together in one place and under a common name specified by the user from a single screen or point within the program.

This input from the user should really be consolidated within the UI so as not to cause confusion as to where everything will end up and under what names.
mbb

Having just set all my output files for the a multiresolution swf (with external files) to be saved into the same output directory and names as follows:

TILES:
"../tiles2/"..(p2vr file tree here)

SWF:
"../tiles2.swf"

HTML:
"../tiles2.html"

The above "save location" was to be one directory up from the existing p2vr project file.

Once completed and opened from that location, everything fails to load locally and when uploaded to my server.

When trying to load the "tiles.html" file from the server, one can see from Safari's activity window that the swf file is not handling the "../" properly when trying to load the files (it is taking it literally as the location of the files it needs) even though it was specified as the output location. Further more it tries to load these "Not Found" files *forever*.. Thousands and thousands of times...

Perhaps the path to the external image tiles should be specified as a flash param and passed to the swf instead. As it might be necessary to move the tile directories for some reason or another after the swf file has been created.
mbb

Streaming issues:

From testing the "embedded files" version of the swf on my server, it looks like the swf starts loading (and continues to load) the entire file regardless of size even when no initial activity (panning etc) is applied by the user. Streaming only the current zoom level would be more appropriate in this case.

Have you looked into how OpenZoom (http://openzoom.org/) applies its tile streaming? It also utilizes flash. Perhaps there are some additional ideas/solutions/examples which could be applied to these multiresolution panoramas? Just a thought.