V3 Beta 0, Multiresolution

Q&A about the latest versions
Robert Harshman

Trying out this feature and there are few things not clear to me and first attempt is not working.

Loaded a set of cubes, each about 7200 pixels, setup a flash output, use a cubeface of 1880, enabled the mutiresolution option, left it at the defaults, generated the output, produced a html and 100K swf file. The html file loads and shows the loading bar getting to 100%, but no image shows up and the loading bar just stays there. From what I can tell, the tiles folder was NOT created, at least I can't find any folder named that.

Will try some more test, play around with the options, but I can already see perhaps another issue. On the Mutiresolution tab, you can add levels, but there does not appear to be anyway to remove them.

And, at this point I'm not really sure what Levels really are, why you would choose Embed, verses Load at start verses decode at startup and what makes sense to set the pixel width at?

OK, second test, got an image by adding a single level and using embed, but it's hardly a muti-resolution pano.

This section really needs some documentation and some insight on what the options mean.

OK, more progress, things becoming clearer, but still could use some documentation and direction in this area.

To use the Multires, first you have to enable it by checking the box. The defaults are not much to go on and if you only do that it, it will not work. No tiles will be generated, hence no image which is what I saw on my first try.

To get it to work, you have to go to the Levels sections, which for some strange reason is after the Advance Settings area - s/b moved up as it's not advanced, it's essential. But heres' where you have to really understand how to use this feature or it just doesno't work. You add a Level, by default the pixel width size will be the size of the cube face that was loaded or would be generated if using an EQ. You then add another level and it cuts the pixel size in half, add another level, again, 1/2 of the previous pixel width.

So, when do you stop adding levels? And does the Level Tile size matter, should it be the same size as your last or smallest tile (hence a multiple of all the tiles, or left at 512 - the default, even if your smallest level pixel width is smaller than 512?

At this moment I have no idea what is optimal or even close. And do you embed, load at startup or decode at startup? And then there are the advanced settings covering performance. Lots to understand without any documentation.

Regards,

Robert
sicco

Hi,

Agree with rober there, some documentation of this feature would be helpful. Thomas, it shouldn't be hard toi compile...just give us some details of functions please.

One thing I noticed:

I'm still playing with it, but cant get hold on right way to do it.
the opening level is slightly blurred, even if I do first level at 1000, only after I zoom or go full screen a bit i'm getting sharpness.
but if i zoom out slightly it happens again...

It can be clearly seen by looking at the PANO2VR logos around the image

have a look at it here
http://www.360vr.ie/TESTS/Pano2VR%203.0 ... _norm.html

Why this happens?

Cheers
Mike
thomas
Chief Gnome

I know the user interface is not very polished and intuitive. This should be better in the next beta. Also there will be a slider to adjust the level switch point.
Karyn is in the office on monday and we will produce some quick videos to show you the basic steps.
MfG, Thomas
mbb

A suggestion?

The contents of the "Multiresolution" settings tab should really be a included under the "Tile Settings" section of the "Settings" tab as opposed to split off from each other because it is not readily apparent that they are mutually exclusive to one another.

Something more like this for example would help a lot:
Attachments
sample.jpg
sample.jpg (50.37 KiB) Viewed 4849 times
mbb

I would like to add that the first thing I did to try out the multiresolution feature was to type in "3700" into the "Level Tile Size" box. I was confused as to why it was only letting me type "370" with no indication as to why. This is not the customary way to handle out-of-range values in such a box. If an entered number is out-of-range, a DLOG or a "pop-up" etc should indicate such to the user. You can see an example of this when typing in out-of-range values into various fields in Photoshop for example.

Under your current "Multiresolution" tab, in the "Levels" section- The checkboxes for "Load at Startup" and "Decode at Startup" become grayed-out when "Embed" gets checked. This can show a state to the user where both of the "Load" checkboxes are grayed-out AND checked at the same time. This is not how checkboxes are typically handled. A checked checkbox should always be clickable to be un-checked by the user without them having to guess that they have to click on something else in order to do so. Perhaps consider rephrasing the option and utilizing radio buttons.

The devil is always in the details. : )
mbb

Under the Multiresolution tab, selecting "Generate Files" did not generate any files.

I also had "Embed" checked below, however I was under the impression that this would do both- create a flash file with everything embedded AND create a directory tree of files for whatever use. Otherwise, why allow one to do it? Only the swf file with embedded images was created.
mbb

It is not entirely obvious that the compression level setting missing from the "Multiresolution:Basic Settings" tab/subsection comes from "Settings:Tile Settings:Image Quality" as this is under a different tab and other elements from "Settings:Tile Settings" do not apply. All the more reason to possibly consolidate everything having to do with tiles etc within the same section.