Trying to externalize a skin

Q&A about the latest versions
robertslade

Hi all,

I am trying to externalize a skin to prevent the images it contains from bloating the .SWF file.

Some of the images in the skin won't load.

This is because I am using hotspot templates with a custom image, and the XML appears to be incorrectly generated for the hotspot images:

skin+='<element type="image"x="-62" y="-62" anchor="4" width="124" height="124" id="Info Image" visible="1" alpha="0.5" angle="0" scalex="1" scaley="1" center="4" handcursor="0" hotspotproxy="Info 1" imgurl="skin_11" >';

The last parameter is missing the .png extension. If I edit the HTML to include the .png extension, it works fine.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
Rob
--
RBilsland

Rob,

No your not going mad, I found the very same error last night and was coming on here to report it now. In the skin I embedded a loading image (in PNG format as well) and when I created the SWF file with both the panorama and skin externalized my loading image was embedded in the code without the trailing ".png" extension. Once I edited the code and added this back in everything was fine.

Not a "show stopper" bug, but annoying in it's own little way.

Bob.
DemonDuck

I wonder -- you are concerned about bloating the SWF file and want to break out the images associated with you pano/tour to keep the SWF file small. Did I understand you right?

Have you timed the download for each way? Take one complicated pano/tour that you've done and externalize everything then time the load for each after you have cleared the browser cache.

It seems to me that externalizing might not save you much because the nearly same number of bytes will come down the pipe but for the externalized version, your client browser will have to make a connection to the host web server for each item. That might add noticeable download time. I don't know for sure. But it would be an interesting test.
robertsladeuk

The images are only loaded if the user clicks on the hotspot. There are lots and lots of images, so loading them all embedded in the skin would take much, much longer than showing them one a time.

If Thomas is reading... any possibility of a fix for this bug please?

Regards,
Robert
--
k.ary.n
Gnome

Are you using version 2.3.4? And what OS?
thomas
Chief Gnome

Ups. This will fixed in the next version.
MfG, Thomas
robertslade

k.ary.n wrote:Are you using version 2.3.4? And what OS?
Windows Vista, Pano2VR v2.3.3.
--
robertslade

thomas wrote:Ups. This will fixed in the next version.
That's great, thanks.
Rob
--
RBilsland

Thanks Thomas.
gzelig

Hello,
I'm using osx 10.6 and pano2vr 2.3.4, iI'm trying to externalize my skin but the images don't load. I tried the previous version (2.3.3) but does not work. Can I get another older version without this bug? Thanks