Patch tool shows "hole" BUG...

Q&A about the latest versions
Smourt

Hello

I am not sure why this is occuring... I have done a couple of panos before and after the pano I am getting but still I get this effect...

I see it is not new see previous unanswered posting http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/vi ... f=6&t=2782

My pano has same effect... any ideas?

Regards,

Stephan
smooth

Be sure to flatten the image before importing into Pano2VR.
This applies to the patch image also.

Regards, Smooth 8)
Smourt

Sorry Smooth... that does not help I thought I might not have flattened as you suggested, I checked both the image as well as the patch... and it STILL does it... the panorama before and after this is not effected...

I redid the entire pano and patch but still same...

Regards,
Stephan
Attachments
HOLE.jpg
HOLE.jpg (31.15 KiB) Viewed 7263 times
ricepixels

I too have had this problem. I extract an image, clone out the tripod and flatten in Photoshop. I made sure the clone tool was at 100% opacity and flow. Then I re-insert the patch and even convert input to another jpeg. With that jpeg I create another Pano2vr file. But I can still see through the patch traces of the tripod. The strange thing is that this usually happens with dark or nadirs in shadow. Thanks
Attachments
Tripod still slighty visible after being inserted in Pano2vr
Tripod still slighty visible after being inserted in Pano2vr
Picture 1.jpg (23.51 KiB) Viewed 7237 times
Tripod cloned out in Photoshop, image flattened
Tripod cloned out in Photoshop, image flattened
Picture 2.jpg (26.31 KiB) Viewed 7237 times
Unedited extracted image
Unedited extracted image
picture 3.jpg (34.88 KiB) Viewed 7237 times
smooth

You need to explain you "complete" workflow from start to finish as there must be a problem in the way you are doing this because I have never had this issue.
Are you "applying" the patch to the original image and then re-importing? Or are the patches still separate layers and you are just publishing the flash file?

Regards, Smooth 8)
ricepixels

Hi,
Here's my workflow:

I bring a jpeg into Pano2vr that was stitched in PTgui.
Click "Patch Input", click "Add" and tilt and zoom the the area I want to extract. Click "Extract."
I click "Ok". When Pano2vr asks if I want to "Update image patches" I click "Yes."
In Photoshop I open the extracted image, copy the contents to a new layer, clone out the tripod at 100% opacity, flatten image and save.
Then I go back into "Patch Input", click the wrench for the patch and click "Insert" for the edited image. Click ok and then "yes" to "Update image patches?" dialog box.
I publish a Flash file.

I just did this again with the same result. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

"Quote"
Are you "applying" the patch to the original image and then re-importing? I believe so

Or are the patches still separate layers and you are just publishing the flash file? They are flattened.
smooth

ricepixels wrote:
smooth wrote: Are you "applying" the patch to the original image and then re-importing?
I believe so
smooth wrote: Or are the patches still separate layers and you are just publishing the flash file?
They are flattened.
"Are you "applying" the patch to the original image and then re-importing?" It would appear you are NOT!
Or are the patches still separate layers and you are just publishing the flash file? It would appear that they are!

You are confusing layers in Photoshop verses layers in Pano2VR.
You have made no mention of using "Convert Image" and "Apply All Patches" checkbox. Only after doing this can you say you have flattened the image.
convert_panorama.jpg
convert_panorama.jpg (37.24 KiB) Viewed 7232 times
Once this is done you need to update the panorama to be used in the .swf file via "Select Input" (this image will have all the patches flattened in place).

Regardless to this, I cannot get the bad result under any of the conditions you mention or any others I can think to try.

The other thing to cross my mind is that you need to flatten the "patch" as soon as you import it into Photoshop before you start editing. Let the canvas colour show instead of transparency.
Let us know how you get on.

Regards, Smooth 8)
ricepixels

Smooth,

Thanks for your time in staying with me on this. I would really like to figure out what's going wrong.

Yes, I have also tried converting the input (convert panorama) and made sure to select "Apply all patches" and create a new image with the patch applied. I have even started with a new Pano2vr file with this new image to be sure. But get the same result with this pano.

But...I just shot a test pano and patched in Pano2vr with the same technique and no tripod was visible. But when I do the same with the original troublesome pano the tripod is still visible. Uggh! I seem to have this problem when trying to patch an area surrounded by dark or black areas.

I'll try to isolate the problem and report back.

Thanks
ricepixels

Hi,
I did a test where I intentionally left a hole at the nadir and zenith. I patched the nadir but can still see traces of the hole. I have uploaded the p2vr file and the jpegs if you might have a chance to try.

test_patch_hole.jpg (original jpeg from ptgui)
test_patch_uncloned.jpg (extracted patch with nadir hole)
test_patch_cloned.jpg (nadir hole cloned out)
test_patch_converted.jpg (nadir cloned and exported with patches)

I'm using Pano2vr 2.3.0 on a Mac with Photoshop CS4. Images shot with Canon 5D with a shaved Nikon 10.5mm.

Thanks for your time
Attachments
test_patch_hole.jpg
test_patch_hole.jpg (839.39 KiB) Viewed 7212 times
test_patch_hole_uncloned.jpg
test_patch_hole_uncloned.jpg (107.16 KiB) Viewed 7212 times
test_patch_hole_cloned.jpg
test_patch_hole_cloned.jpg (151.52 KiB) Viewed 7212 times
test_patch_converted.jpg
test_patch_converted.jpg (672.84 KiB) Viewed 7212 times
test_patch_hole.p2vr
(453 Bytes) Downloaded 194 times
Smourt

Ditto above... I have same workflow as above but it seems dark floors without any particular pattern dont work... or it is a photoshop pano2vr weird "something"

What I have noted... is if you take the same image straight from PTGUI... vs image tweaked in PS both RGB 8bit/channel

PTGUI...when you go to extract the patch the nadir appears black on the monitor...when you open it in photoshop it is not flattened... follow workflow above it works fine...
PS TWEAKED...When you do the same for the same image which has been tweeked a bit in PS you get the same except for a white nadir when you extract... weird...

Also if you flatten white background and attempt work flow above you get "same transparent nadir result"...

the work around... when saving a tweaked image, flatten but with a black background... when you go to extract the nadir it will not appear transparent (when opened in PS) and will have a black nadir... clone etc what you need to do and then when you insert the patch described above and output it as normal it will appear as it should...

this is a bug which seems to have been overlooked since the original link posted above in March 2007... unanswered by PANO2VR

thanks Thomas for the help on this... :roll: I hate being crappy about this sort of stuff, but for some of us it is our livelihood...even if it is not a bug, it should have been answered so we dont need to spend days trying to figure out what the issue is... In case i appear to be TOTALLY UNGRATEFUL to all who have helped me in the forums... I SERIOUSLY AM GRATEFUL... THANK YOU AGAIN for your help smooth...
smooth

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply, I've away in Sydney on a job.
I have to say, honestly I have never had this issue - ever!
That said, using your sample images I get the exact same issue you do. Sampling a colour near by and replacing the "white" with the sampled colour seems to rectify the issue as Stephan points out.
I haven't tested as yet whether it is just in the case of pure white #FFFFFF where the problem lies. But adjusting the canvas colour in Photoshop seems to correct this issue.
I agree it is a "Bug" and seriously Thomas needs to look into why this is happening.

My results:
test_patch_hole_patched_pano.jpg
test_patch_hole_patched_pano.jpg (913.65 KiB) Viewed 7198 times
test_patch_hole.swf
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 6314 times
Regards, Smooth 8)
ricepixels

Thanks guys, now I know I'm not crazy (at least in this case). I think it definitely has something to do with patching something with a dark sample. Here are some images where I tried to cover the tripod with pure black. The flattened the image looks fine in Photoshop but the tripod is still visible in Pano2vr. In separate pano I successfully patched over the tripod by sampling the surrounding red carpet. No tripod anymore in that one. So perhaps the dark sample cannot cover anything lighter than itself. Hope this helps, thanks.

(P.S. I too appreciate Pano2vr, it save me having to know xml...now if someone can just explain all the actions involving the "$"...for another post)
Attachments
unpatched
unpatched
unpatched.jpg (614 KiB) Viewed 7190 times
Elliptical marquee used to cover with black, then flattened.
Elliptical marquee used to cover with black, then flattened.
elliptical_marquee.jpg (350.83 KiB) Viewed 7190 times
Patched in PS, no tripod seen
Patched in PS, no tripod seen
patched.jpg (284.54 KiB) Viewed 7190 times
Patched image with tripod still showing
Patched image with tripod still showing
patch_inserted.jpg (64.81 KiB) Viewed 7190 times
panovrlover

OK, after 2 years of using Pano2vr without this problem, today I stitched 15 panos and every one had this problem.

The only difference this time was that it was the latest version, but that doesnt even make sense as I did a project last week and stitched 3 tours successfully.

Each floor is different, all light carpets or wood flooring, so it can't be the dark issue. I have stitched this location before and didn't have this problem, so my workflow has not changed, so what on earth is the problem?

This is my day job, so I need to get it sorted!!!!! I have tried flattening the image and colour sampling the transparent nadir, but nothing works...

HELP!
ricepixels

panovrlover, the mystery grows. Please upload some samples so we have a better case for Thomas to investigate. I'm also curious because because I only get it when sampling from dark or pure black. thanks
smooth

Just as a general query what computers are you using Mac or PC?

I still can't get this issue with my own images. I solely use PC's.

Maybe it is related to the build variant?

Don't know, just throwing it out there!

Regards, Smooth 8)