some general questions

Q&A about the latest versions
HMS Beagle

I'm wondering if its the compressed.ggsk file size thats applied to the swf?
Not the expanded size, ie: 100k .ggsk is what gets put in swf, not its 1000k components.

Next question,
After finally d/l'ing the tutorial vids(dialup) I assembled a nice 8 pano tour with a floorplan and radar on the floorplan. It was discussed, that perhaps each pano should have its own landing page. ok. I applied the skin to each pano in case its desired for each to have its own page.
Everything works fine if its all loaded from the first pano, if loaded from any other pano the radar is wrong.
I think its the init statement that sets where the radar should start?
If so, can I give each pano its own ggsk file and change the init to the appropiate spot on the floorplan?
Will having an init statement in every skin on every pano cause any issues?

last one,
Does anyone point visitors to the .swf file as a window viewing size choice?
ie: window size set in html...560 x 320, next larger size...swf file = full browser window, final size is of course fullscreen.
or is there a reason not to do this?
thanks in advance
Beagle
jeroen

Dear Beagle

I only answer the questions I can :wink:
HMS Beagle wrote:the radar is wrong.
I solved this by making sure **ALL** new panorama's are started at the north by making the first picture of a panorama in the north. I only managed to solved the same problem at an old set of pictures by making sure all panorama's shift so the they have all the same orientation. (I use ptgui; and you can easily change the center point).
HMS Beagle wrote:If so, can I give each pano its own ggsk file and change the init to the appropiate spot on the floorplan?
If you "jump" from the first panorama to the second panorama via flash (so use a hyperlink ending on .swf instead of .html) the second skin is not used! I do not use htm links between to panorama's so I do not have any idea of the results.
HMS Beagle wrote:Does anyone point visitors to the .swf file as a window viewing size choice?
ie: window size set in html...560 x 320, next larger size...swf file = full browser window, final size is of course fullscreen.
or is there a reason not to do this?
I'm not sure I understand the question :mrgreen:
In general changing the resolution from low to high gives the disadvantage of low quality
form high to low from longer the strictly needed loading times.
Having more than 1 file for the same panorama looks appealing (user point of view). For me it looks really bad; if I have eq a tour of let’s say 5 panorama's in 3 qualities I need to have 15 files. I have to make sure all 15 pano's link to the right versions/size. If I have to change anything I have to change it at lots and lots of places.
Jeroen / Amersfoort / The Netherlands
thomas
Chief Gnome

HMS Beagle wrote:I'm wondering if its the compressed.ggsk file size thats applied to the swf?
Not the expanded size, ie: 100k .ggsk is what gets put in swf, not its 1000k components.
It is even less in size then the compressed ggsk because within the Flash file it is compressed in a different way. Specially if have the same image several times the compression on the SWF should be much higher. In theory all the instances of an image could be merged together.
MfG, Thomas
HMS Beagle

I will have to reload the project files and have a try at it.
As it is now, I only use .swf for my links in the tour. The client expressed interest in being able to start the tour from any node, hence the skin inclusion in every pano.
Thats where the radar becomes wrong, if the tour is not started from the pano with the init statement in it, all the radars are the wrong. I will remake a few of the panos with different skins(really the same skin just with the init moved) in each one and see what happens.

I did not have to orient all my panos to north, I simply rotated the radar by a preset amount to correlate with the opening view of each pano. Works like a charm

Sorry about the confusion, I meant viewing window size, not pano resolution.
I guess what I should've asked was..
Do you ever direct visitors to the actual swf file, not the html file?

@ Thomas
Thank you, to expand a little further on it..do items in the skin that are not used in the pano, get included in the final .swf?
ie: point hotspot image in the skin but no hotspots set in the pano
Hopki
Gnome

Why not open with a blank pano and a map.
The viewer can then open the required pano from a hotspot which can set the radar.
The blank pano can be 5 x 10px, for face size 1px. The blank pano will then load very fast.
I have used this methods many times.
Hopki :)
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
HMS Beagle

Do you have an example of this?
Thanks
Beagle
Hopki wrote:Why not open with a blank pano and a map.
The viewer can then open the required pano from a hotspot which can set the radar.
The blank pano can be 5 x 10px, for face size 1px. The blank pano will then load very fast.
I have used this methods many times.
Hopki :)