What is most wanted?

Q&A about the latest versions

What are the most wanted features for upcoming versions?

Scene Transitions
34%
HTML Window
8%
Mapping (Stick) Items in place
13%
Easy(ier) Movie input
8%
Multi-level Hi-Res Zooming (Tiling)
18%
Pre-load other Scenes
10%
Something Else (Please add to thread)
10%

Total votes: 119
hum@no.id

I appreciate the merits and feel respect for the work of some members here ... particularly long-lived in the panoramic case ...

Some don't see (even visually) that the engine is changed ie... rewritten from scratch ... according to new time trends...

Open your eyes wider, compare render features with old projector (v2) ... you will notice the difference ....

I too hope to get nice transitions in coming soon within a new engine

this only the beginning ... 8) IMO
Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
smooth

thomas wrote: ..... Because I ask for 20 Euros after 3 years you call me greedy. Thx.
Thomas,

I never called you "greedy" you somehow put this in your own mind.
If you don't appreciate the support I and others have given both here and on other other forums for your product, just say so and we'll move on. It's not like there isn't other options.
I have praised you many times, praised your products many times also in many places and driven sales to your products. This time is the first negative from me, learn to take good with bad.
Charging double is a kick in the guts to your long term supporters, you can find a way to justify it - no problem!, the amount is nothing as you say.
My comments were on principle and frustration. If you had bothered to explain what you were doing I.E: re-writing the engine, the benefits involved and what it will lead to then we would have a greater appreciation and a whole lot less frustration. This is what a Road Map is for....

You really want to argue with your customers? You clearly can see others with the same concerns right?

Regards, Smooth 8)
thomas
Chief Gnome

smooth wrote:Charging double is a kick in the guts to your long term supporters, you can find a way to justify it - no problem!, the amount is nothing as you say.
The reason why there are 2 upgrade price levels is to make it more fair and avoid complains like "I bought it on 31.12.09 and now you charge me 20 Euro just because of 1 day...". That is all.
MfG, Thomas
wigi

Sebastian wrote:
wigi wrote:Why the latest version 3.0 isn't based on Flash 10, but still 9?
There is no difference between 9 and 10, beside time-line animation, which is not part of Pano2Vr files but Adobe Flash alone.
The ActionScript didn't change so the file version would be nothing but a number, which would make no difference whatsoever to us.
2880 pixel cube face size limit in Flash 9 - this is not a problem?
Sebastian

wigi wrote:2880 pixel cube face size limit in Flash 9 - this is not a problem?
Hi there wigi

Not really a problem at the moment. Even tho the bitmapdatas and player specs went up, to accommodate up to 4000x4000, the highest commercial resolutions are still around 2560 by 1440 pixels (like the latest 27" iMac). So your regular 2880 still fits quite well. Secondly, even with the redesign of bitmap handling engine by Adobe, that happened with the launch of AS3, Flash is still very CPU intensive when comes to moving large images across big screen. The limit was kept by Macromedia and Adobe for a reason, not really due to the player limitation, but to assure reasonable performance.
The limit by the way, could be easily over come by writing a custom class, which can generate BitmapData objects in almost every size you want. Slice it into small tiles, glue it all together back in Flash. A friend of mine wrote such class somewhere back in 2008, but then again, performance is still questionable, especially now with all the low budget (very low specs) laptops. Which seem to be more and more popular. I did write my own class to produce pan scroll (left right) for a panoramic landscape image 10.000x3500. Wasn't a problem, tho it didn't work well anywhere beside my PC (built for lots of video work) and my Macbook pro.

At this very moment, regular customers (not designers like us), are still running lower res screens, mostly panoramic laptops, or desktops (which are not upgraded as often). You are very safe for the next two years producing panos with 2000 (plus)pixels tile size. And I'm pretty sure, Thomas will include support for the player 10.X/11 long before that standard changes and become an absolute need-to-hate. Let's not forget that also many people are migrating to portable devices, so your tile size can be even smaller, like iphone and iPads.

Best regards
(serdeczne pozdrowienia z Malezji)

Sebastian
soulbrother

Most wanted for me actually:

As the html5 is on the market ( thanks to Thomas and your team) there are this actual points:
-- a understandable user guide /video (but please do it for dummies) of new functions
-- also in any guide, some more examples of using html5 related to i-phone / i-pad / other mobiles...

General points:
I somtimes compare with the krpanoplayer and I am always jealous on some functions there, most wanted:

-- the chooseable different projection modes ( Fisheye Projection /Normal Projection / Architecture Projection
-- the blending from one to another pano
zap

To smooth
I completely agree with your point of view on Pano2VR !

to Thomas
I understand your way of pricing and agree to that too! BUT

A little retrospective
Why did I choose Pano2Vr some time back
- Because of its ease of use
- Functionalities
- On the edge of technology
- User support on forum

Especially the latter made it possible to get the most out of the tool and keep your back secure from complaints.
I suggest people with a certain range of participation in the forum get the upgrades FOR FREE.

I'm in depth for you developing such a great tool and to guys like smooth to give me the insights on how to use them.

For the Future
I suggested already years ago that you publish a roadmap. the problem is: You're not open source. You offer a commercial tool.
You can develop like a open source project and do as you like and take the risks of your customers choosing other products
or your can try to bind customers to your product.
To do the latter you need either updates in a (lets say) 3month cycle or a clear roadmap.
The first to avoid the "..soon.." "..in the next release.." ...
this is pointless. We are professional users (we buy a commercial product) and need to know where the soft is going and eventually help you pinpoint new evolutions you didn't track from a developers point of view but which is most important to clients we serve.

A roadmap WITH time indication is of importance to us to see what is coming. If you change your mind and develop a new tool. What the heck will retain you from changing the roadmap if you argument is of value.

I think this is a typical dilemma from a talented developer producing a commercial product but not living from it. So you do it in your spare time and want to keep it a pleasure in doing so. The external pressure is there so you need to decide if it would not be beneficial to search help from outside or create sort of a possibility to let other developers create addons based on your framework. A proposition I made in this forum also years ago.

Nevertheless
A great product who needs to keep up to stay on top as competition is coming VERY closely
Thanks to the community for their support so far. They make the difference.

cheers
360 Panorama Creators http://luxmap.com
Google Trusted Photographer
ducthanhpanos

Most wanted people like the function: multiresolution & gigapixels tiling but if you compare the loading speed (the most important for every internet surfer) of pano2vr vs. krpano, you will see our soft (pano2vr) is faster, i think.
That 2-function is useful for the other application area not commercial virtual tour for most companies.
But that function of krpano cannot compare with the freely customizable skin editor of our soft.
So if i upgrade our soft, i will use it for another purpose not for commercial.
Is that right, Thomas & Karyn.
soulbrother

Me again,

as I had several customers with requests about the distortion on the borders if the viewing angle is high...

I have to ask now as important update: Please integrate a fisheye view ( switchable to normal view with function tab and right mouse click menue) - comparable as it is available in krpano,

thanks Thomas !!
360Texas

as I had several customers with requests about the distortion on the borders if the viewing angle is high...

I have to ask now as important update: Please integrate a fisheye view ( switchable to normal view with function tab and right mouse click menue) - comparable as it is available in krpano,
I can understand about the "barrel distortion" seen when the view is zoomed too far out. Barrel distortion can easily be overcome by setting the Zoom IN / Zoom OUT viewer settings. A 50mm camera lens is very close to normal human eye view. In the VIEWING PARAMETERS for Pan Tilt and FoV change the default 70 degrees angle of view on the horizon to say 50. The Fov means Field of View or the number of degrees viewed on the horizon. 50 would zoom in closer to your object... dramatically reducing the barrel distortion at the left and right side of the viewer.

Possibly try these FoV settings in the bottom left corner of the Panorama Viewing Parameter box

Field of View (zoom)
Minimum 40 Limit Zoom IN see only limited 40 degrees left to right on the horizon
Maximum 110 Limit Zoom OUT see only 110 degrees left to right on the horizon

Above left side Viewing Parameters/ Limits
Pan 0 For the initial view when the pano opens in the viewer the viewing location is exactly center on horizon 50% left to right and 50% top to bottom
Tilt 0 For the inital view is directly on the horizon. example +45° is tilted up and -45° is tilted down
FoV is default 70 or 70° wide across the horizon. If your minimum limit is 40 and maximum limit is 110 this prevents zooming in too far and pixelation. Set this value to Fov 50° degrees on the horizon or near normal eye sight.

Hope this helps
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
soulbrother

360Texas wrote:
Hope this helps
Hi Texas,
many thanks for detailed explanations, but it does not help on the problem of distortions on wide angel view ;-)

( to be honest, all you wrote is not new but very clear to me - what I need is a solution as it is available with othe viwers on the market and - as I wrote - as I had already a few requests it would be nice to have a synonym function of "fisheye view" within Pano2VR)

thanks again,

best regards!