spherical panorama

Q&A about the latest versions
dreamer

I see pano2VR doesn't handle spherical panorama on the pno2vr product page. But still want to push my luck. Maybe the new version support spherical panorama? Or maybe there is another way to get around? I use 10.5mm fisheye, I would like try pano2VR if it can work with spherical panoramic format. anyone knows?
360Texas

I guess the term "Handle" would need to be better defined.

PTgui stitches or assembles images into spherical 2:1 dimensioned image.

Pano2VR does as the name suggests. It converts previously stitched flat images into a VR like spherical QTVR or spherical Flash.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
dreamer

spherical 2:1 dimensioned image
so, the procedure is after i take panoramic shots with my 10.5mm full frame fisheye, PtGui takes in the jpeg or raw image from the camera,
and output to 2:1 equirectangle image (is that what you meant by "spherical 2:1 dimensioned image."?)

Then Pano2VR takes an equirectangle image created with PtGui, convert to cubic images, then go from there?

Does converting from the full frame spherical image to 2:1 equirectangle image cause the image to distort or to lose image content.
should it be more accurate to use higher ratio since it has four walls? I am new to this. I have searched the web, I didn't find this answer.
360Texas

Yes, our images are taken raw say with a Canon 5d or a Canon 500d and a Sigma 8mm fisheye lens. We convert these 4 raw images to 16bit TIF about 40mb each image. After stitching we output to a 2:1 equirectangular image about 6000 x 3000 pixel dimensions and about 120mb TIF.

THEN we take that 6000 x 3000 120mb image into Pano2VR and convert [no cubing required] to a 1.5mb .swf FLASH panorama which is viewed using Adobe Flash viewer version 10.

The Canon 5d is a full frame sensor. The Sigma 8mm is a circular fisheye.

Your Nikkor 10.5 fisheye is considered a full frame fisheye lens where 180° is measured diagonally across the lens. The Nikkor 10.5 Fisheye is an excellent lens but you need to take 6 images at 60° on the horizon + 1 zenith (up view). Stitch all in PTgui to produce a 6000 x 3000 equirectangular image. Bring it straight into Pano2VR and create [no cube faces required] a .swf Flash panorama.

Only time you would need to create 6 cube faces would be if you were required to display your panorama using different software like FPP or krpano. For me thats too many files to manage. Pano2VR only needs 2 files: the panorama picture and the Adobe Flash player.

Hope that helps
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
dreamer

This is very helpful. I would like to give it try as soon as I get my lens. Thanks.