New Output/Input Format Suggestion

Q&A about the latest versions
DJAurand

In the VR Photography forms I've followed for a few years now, one of the most commonly repeated questions is how to "remove" the tripod.

One method is to take a Nadir Shot with the tripod moved and "stitching" it into the image.

The second is to stitch a scene into an Equirectangular Projection with something like PTGui, then convert it into 6 separate Cubic Faces with Pano2VR or Autodesk Stitcher Unlimited, edit the over the tripod in the Bottom Face using Photoshop or another image editing program, then put the edited Bottom Face back into the stitched image.

What would be much easier is if Pano2VR could output a Cubic Strip as a TIFF like iPIX Interactive Studio with their Format Pack does.

The iPIX Cubic Strip is like the sample below.

The horizontal strip has the Left and Right Cube Faces at the left and right of the strip, with the Top, Front, Bottom and Back Faces turned 90° so they line up and over 360°. iPIX created this Output Format with the seam between the 2 fisheyes running horizontally through the Top, Front, Bottom and Back Faces so any misalignments could be touch up.

What its also great for when the source images aren't just 2 fisheyes, is editing out the tripod, touching up misalignments and tuning the Contrast, Brightness, Color Balance, etc, etc all in the same image.

Once done editing the Cubic Strip, all you have to do is open it as an Input Image then Output/Convert the scene in the final format, just like Pano2VR opens an Equirectangular Projection and can output it as a QTVR or Flash Cubic Image.

If Pano2VR had a Cubic Strip at a TIFF format, all the photo editing could be done to one image file while the whole image is flattened into all 6 Cubic Faces at once.

This would be particularly helpful if the photographer needed to use the Rubber Stamp/Clone Tool to copy a straight line like the edge of door frame of edge of a window.

What do you guys think?

Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM
iPIX Cubic Strip Format
iPIX Cubic Strip Format
iPIX_Cubic_Strip.jpg (94.82 KiB) Viewed 3175 times
Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM
hum@no.id

Pano2VR
1. Remapping to vertical or horizontal cube strip - YES
2. Unique vari-angle Patch Tool - YES - http://gardengnomesoftware.com/tutorial.php?movid=09

or use the Photoshop CS4 with new advanced features in 3D environment

PhotoShop CS4 - 3D patch in action -
http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/Spheri ... ama_SM.mov
Gumir J | VR Panoramic Photographer | mobile: +77055717171 | skype: gumirj
website: gumirj.com | google.com/+gumirj | facebook.com/gumirj | twitter.com/gumirj
DJAurand

Moon
Thanx for the reply.

I did some more looking around at the features of Pano2VR and the Tees and Crosses are awesome.
Because they "align" the image not only vertically but horizontally too, they're even better than the iPIX Cubic Strip

I'm liking Pano2VR even better.

Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM
Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM
carodani

hum@no.id wrote:Pano2VR
1. Remapping to vertical or horizontal cube strip - YES
I know I can actually convert some format but the original poster is talking about iPIX Cubic Strip Format. That's the same problem I have now, a client gave me a bunch of ipix cubic strip to be converted and published as flash, I always used Pano2VR to convert from equirectangular to swf and to horizontal strip, but the ipix cubic strip is something I can't get transformed in any way... maybe am I missing something?? :roll:
carodani

Is there a way to have as input the iPIX Cubic Strip Format? It seems to be a nightmare to convert :(