Pole 4,5m

Q&A about the latest versions
360Texas

I have been rather quiet over the last few weeks because I have been working on a project.

Show and tell.

Canon 5d, Sigma 8, RingT8s, 4 images taken with BigAgnos at 4,5m [14 feet], wireless shutter release. Notice the how small the cone area is in the nadir tripod cap area. The pole is rigid and top movement is only about 6 inches or 15cm. The panorama 'nadir cut view' taken from Pano2VR Flash display.

phil007

I was thinking about trying that last year but discovered that I got about the same effect with my tripod. With the tripod or monopod fully extended I held on to its feet at about chest level giving me the equivalent height of a 3m pole.

There is also a monopod, I don't remember which manufacture, where the rubber foot can be unscrewed and then the monopod screws on top of a tripod. This would give you the extra height with the benefit of the equipment collapsing for easier walking around and transportation.

What's the subject you're shooting where the 4.5m is needed? I bet from that height it would look like you're hovering or flying above the ground.

Phil
360Texas

Hi Phil,

Yes, an elevated view does provide that hovering feeling. And while up that high you can see alot farther too. While at 4.5 meters.. I did take 4 images. Sitiched them and produced a flash panorama using Pano2VR. Agree I probably should not have zoomed out so far because it shows too much edge distortion.. but the affect is still there.

Are we hovering yet?

Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
phil007

That's a nice view from that height and now I can see how it would work better to show off a larger space like your swimming pool area. The nice thing about shooting panos of swimming pools is that they should all have a 12-16" pole at the site. All you need is an adapter to attach your pano head to the pole.

I made the pole adapter last spring but never tested or used it. Maybe Sunday I'll try it out, lean the pole over the water and then level it out in PTGui. If I can do a good job patching up the nadir hole it will look as if I shot it with my rc heli hovering over the water.

Phil
360Texas

Ah you mean like this On this page also find about mid center of page free 17mb .zip download "Test set of Sigma 8mm f3.5 JPEG 4 images "

http://360texas.com/tips/hpolepano/index.htm

or last year here

http://360texas.com/tips/hpolepano/edgepano.htm
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
phil007

Like those pictures but add in the hard part of making the shooter invisible!

Using you're Cancun example I would have to clone in the windows and add the building reflection from across the street. A swimming pool deck should be easier as long as the nadir hole is kept away from the pool coping and water line.

There are a few locations I thought would look interesting using a horizontal pole but haven't shot them because I need to learn how to remove myself from the shot. I'll add that skill to my to do list.

Phil
jotec

Hi,
I do panos with a 22m pole. As we don't do full 180 the operator in image is not a problem but it don't half show up your bald patch :D .
Dick