Think outside the box !!! Hi flying Cow ?

Q&A about the latest versions
360Texas

There is no doubt that Pano2VR and other software that Thomas has created is a highly diverse program that allows our creative minds to push the panorama envelope !

Over in the PanoTools forum http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Pano ... sage/27167 a developer created with off the shelf hardware and software a Do IT yourself flying drone.. that effectively used lego's and other parts to create a low flying drone that photographs aerial imaging. Gotta look at the movie and glean from the discussion.. that folks like Thomas create software that allows the users to unleash their developmental abilities to see.. "what else can be done".

I see in Pano2VR a collective group of creative folks in this forum that can and will push the envelope. Think what else can be done using this software ? Think outside the box !!!
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
jwesq

I quite agree with you.

This is a new medium and we have to keep extending the bounds, but I wonder how many people out there are only interested in recording interior and exterior architecture as technically perfect as possible - but without any humanity.

Personally, I'm fascinated with composition in the VR environment and humanising it - but very few people in this, or the Panoguide forums understand where I'm coming from and I haven't been find a forum which does. There used to be a very good online magazine for VR, but it seems to have gone off the air. Does anyone know what happened to it?

Sound is our next big challenge - even though it has been dismissed by some. It's not a case of laying down a background of ambient background, but creating a 'soundscape' which adds to the total experience (come on Thomas you must have moved by now)

We also have to extend the scope of virtual reality. For instance, I've been asked to make a series of country walks for seriously disabled people, not only with sound but with a textual story - a use I hadn't thought of a few months ago.

Keep pushing the bounds.

John
jwesq

Sorry friend, you're wrong. No group of creative people. No discussion. Just a load of geeks.

Sadly,

John
360Texas

hmm have to think about this. I only know the people on this forum through reading the their comments and the imaging and projects they permit us to view.

From where I sit, I agree, some are more creative than others.. never-the-less they strive in their own ways to be productive and creative. They are a highly talented group.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
erik leeman

This sad geek just made his first successful attempt in making an external .flv (!) video work inside a VR panorama, Yay!
Did it just because I can?
No, it's because I want to build an application in which the viewer is presented with spoken information about what he is looking at.
So I want blended-in videos to play 'in sync' with what is in view. There's still a lot to be done before this will all work as intended.

I think sound can be a very important element in a VR image, it just doesn't have to be directional sound YET. In due time perhaps, but it's not practical now due to bandwidth and processor power limitations. I need ALL bandwidth I can get now for my images and video, and mono sound will do nicely for the time being.

Cheers!

Erik
smooth

erik leeman wrote: I think sound can be a very important element in a VR image, it just doesn't have to be directional sound YET. In due time perhaps, but it's not practical now due to bandwidth and processor power limitations.
AS if directional sound takes up any more bandwidth than VIDEO! Come on ...
Adding .flv video has already been done - it was the first thing I tried when everybody started playing add flash via the text box.
Four sound bites in one panorama could be as little as a couple of hundred kb. I think this negativity towards directional sound is just a case of you pushing your own agenda Erik for silly Flash gimmicks because it is you interest at the momment.

Thomas has already stated directional sound is next and just because you currently have a penchant for flying cows, spinning globes is hardly a reason to downplay the adding of directional sound. Simple narration in each direction about special features or general information etc is FAR better than some pop-up text box or flashing gimmick that has absolutely nothing to do with the panoramic scene.

For someone who wanted to play down the visual aspects of hotspots because they were intrusive to the scene a couple of months ago, to what we see today - now that is sad. :(

It is a case of each to their own, but I can see it now - the next release will deal with sound and your guys pushing the Flash gimmick barrow will be jumping up and down.

Sound is next, unless Thomas says different.

Regards, Smooth 8)
smooth

jwesq wrote:No discussion. Just a load of geeks.
Who you calling geeks? Esquire :shock:
If that's not the kettle calling the pot black!

Regards, Smooth 8)
erik leeman

And yet again you're painting a very ugly picture of yourself mr. not-so-smooth.
You read a few words, immediately decide you don't like it, go broadside, and BOOM BOOM BOOM, you shoot from all barrels until your face turns red. Once more an unjustified, unreasonable and overly aggressive barrage of words. What a pity.

Erik Leeman
smooth

erik leeman wrote:And yet again you're painting a very ugly picture of yourself mr. not-so-smooth.
You read a few words, immediately decide you don't like it, go broadside, and BOOM BOOM BOOM, you shoot from all barrels until your face turns red. Once more an unjustified, unreasonable and overly aggressive barrage of words. What a pity.

Erik Leeman
Wow, public attacking!

Ugly picture? Hmm, flying cows and spinning thingos on panoramas - get the picture?

I assume Thomas knows how to deal with "personal public attacks" vs general opinions.

Calm down sweetheart!

Kisses, Smooth 8)
erik leeman

Dave, what about setting up a separate forum branch for showing and sharing the results of experimental work?
As it is now discussions about 'non regular' use of Pano2VR (and combinations with other soft- and hardware tools) needlessly confuse those who seek advice or conversation about basic Pano2VR functions.
I realize this 'experimental work' department won't be a highly populated one, but it could make this forum easier and more pleasant to use. Or, as in my case, easier and more pleasant to continue using it.
Please consider my request.

Kind regards,

Erik Leeman
360Texas

Few months ago I said we do not use nor promote the use of features like artifical rain, snow, sun flares because they blocked the viewing of the clients product. These technical features while interesting are visual detractors that serve no understandable useful function other than to be self promoting. 'Look see the rain on the screen" or Yes the sun is shining the artifical lens flares are interesting how they move with the panorama rotation but they are blocking my view.

We do promote use of hide/unhide maps, image thumbnails, information panels, linking navigation, mouse over hotspots that could reveal support information and any other inovative inhancement that would convey information about the panorama site location to the visitor.

In the mean time suggest we move on... and lets help others resolve software issue and see new imging work.

I do not currently see Thomas online, and yes maybe we need one more topic on the list for those who wish to push the Pano2vr and Object2vr envelope.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
jwesq

Erik's suggestion of having an experimental branch is excellent. I would only suggest 'Experimental and Pictorial' ie the non-commercial aspects of this medium - there is life outside Real Estate.

One of the 'geek' types I refer to is those who quick with their negative comment, but who never actually post any of THEIR work or even publish a link to their site.

John