Changing the current node image via api?

Q&A about the latest versions
Lightyears

Hi gang.

We're looking to create interior design \ architectural walkthroughs.

I can see that via the API we can change a given nodes video file, however that didn't seem to have the option for a 'fade'.
I thought about creating a video timelapse, and through some skin controls, play\pause that to create a loop. I.E. Click button, change time to 'morning' = the video would play to the 'morning' timestamp and then stop.
However the client wasn't as interested in doing video renders, especially if they have 50+ position renders.

SO!
I was trying to find a way to be able to change the base image of a node between a day render, and a night\other render.

So far I've been able to set up a pseudo version of this, by having a Skin button grab a dynamic node name stored in the description field (I.E. {kitchen_A} and {kitchen_A_dark} for instance). And then hook into the API via javascript to store the camera angle between node changes, and tell it to perform a transition. They API wasn't able to do a fade, but that setting can be turned on in the main program. This basically simulated a fade\change between day\night.

This is...okay.

But I was wondering if there was a more direct way to swap an image out for each node via the API? I couldn't find one, and it would save us having to set up all the movement links between node locations twice. (We can copy\paste them, but a single position node would be better than two separate day\night nodes).
I.E.
  • Lookin the assets folder
  • look for this node's name + '_dark'
  • Change the current node image to that, with a fade