Pano2vr for measuring room sizes?

Q&A about the latest versions
DMcKinney

I've been doing some work for a photo capture company for real estate, and they generate floor plans from the panoramic images I provide them. I wondered how they do that! I'd like to be able to pull that off with the images I take for use in building my panoramic tours instead of my current methods of a laser measure & an app for building the plans.

When you supply them with photos, they need to know the exact distance of the camera from the ground, which would give them the exact size of the tripod base. I imagine that tripod base then gives them a unit of measurement they can then use to calculate the floor dimensions. Does that make sense...?

(In my case, the "tripod" I use is actually a mic stand, so I get smaller footprint.)

I was thinking that a flat transformation output pointing straight down for each room could yield an image of the floor that I could then place in a grid to get floor dimensions. My question is, is there any distortion of the flat floor? It doesn't appear that there is any, just plenty of distortion for anything that's NOT flat - furniture, walls, etc. distort like crazy. But it looks like the floor remains undistorted.

In the example, you can see the cyan guides outline the actual floor shape, while the grid provides a basis for measurement.
Attachments
gird.png
gird.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 12884 times
soulbrother

Interesting idea....
My first thoughts on this:
You could do some experiments and photograph and measure different rooms and then compare this real data with the grid view and calibrate your equipment, so to speak.
Then you can see how the height of the camera affects the result and how this has to be taken into account for the "calibration process".
DMcKinney

Just found an app that makes these measurements way too easy to pass up, so this little experiment will fall by the wayside!