Problem with Pan North

Q&A about the latest versions
rsmkns

When using the modifier Rotate Pan North, the target rotates fine and shows the appropriate direction. But it behaves oddly; the radar beam will not go 360 degrees. It goes clockwise from 0 to 180 degrees (straight down), then quickly reverses counter-clockwise past zero to the appropriate direction in the negative 1–180 degrees. Why does it do this?

Oh, this does not happen with the Rotate Pan modifier, just with the Rotate Pan North.

Using v. 6.15 on a Mac.

This would seem to be something noticed by others, but I could find no discussion on it.

Thanks for any help.

Ron
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Ron,
This does sound a bit odd.
Have a look at this post and download one of the compasses.
Do you see the same behaviour?
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
rsmkns

I have done more testing and found the following behaviors. When the radar is not moved, then it works fine. However, I move the radar using the Change Element Position action, and then it behaves as stated above (does not go past the 180 mark, but springs back past zero to the appropriate negative degree; it does the same whether I rotate clockwise or counter clockwise).

I did find that when I move the radar with the Set Element Position, then the behavior is normal. It seem to be an issue only with the Change Element Position.

(I have created archaeological tours, and the radar is used to indicate what VR image I am viewing on a site plan, so the radar moves around the site plan as I click on spots).

Ron
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Ron,
Can you send your skin into support, link below.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
rsmkns

I sent the skin in case there is an unknown bug, but I have decided to go a different way.

My tours have their origin many years ago, way back in version Pano2VR 1. I updated them to site plans (like floor plans) long before you introduced maps, and so I figured it out myself. Well, my old way of doing things is giving way to some of the new tricks in the Pano2VR bag.

By using markers with my site plans -- using one of the built-in components, I can get the radar working and it works much better over all. I guess an old guy can learn new tricks.

Thanks,

Ron
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Ron,
Thank you for your skin.
All you need to do is put the rotating graphic into a container like so:

Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 09.38.15.png
Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 09.38.15.png (14.86 KiB) Viewed 985 times

This then prevents the action of moving the rotating graphic targeting it directly which is the cause of the problem.
So all you need to do is add a surrounding container.
To keep it simple add a container to the skin making it the same size as your rotating graphic.
Position it in the skins tree so it is just above your graphic, give the container the same ID as your graphic, but then modify the graphics ID so you do not have any duplicates.
Using the skins tree drag the graphic into the container so it is now a child element.

When I open the project, using my test images the radar graphic is in its starting position and not on the opening active map pin.
I can not see if you have done this already but you can add a config loaded action so on open the radar graphic is over the starting map pin.

To do this select the starting map pin, in its actions copy the Mouse Click Change Element Position action and paste it underneath.
Now change the Source from Mouse Click to Config Loaded.

Also, I may be inclined to set the map image, zone1, to permeable.
This way you can click and drag the panoramas through the map, but the map pins will still be active/clickable.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com