tile size.. (once more)

Q&A about the latest versions
deedee123

Hi,
I've been going through forum posts about the tile size, but I'm still a bit confused. So far I always use 'automatic" and set it to 1022 or 1024. Smaller creates too many tiles..
For normal output to mobile or computer screens all is just fine, but on Oculus Quest 2 i get varying results. I used to make a separate output for it, but i rather keep it to "one-output-looks-great-on-all".

Should i adjust to the resolution of the input images, or adjust to the output device? My input images are around 21000 pixels, but some (within the same project) are slightly larger or smaller, depending on the stitch. Should one project always have the exact same size for all input images? Or is this adjusted/compensated with "automatic" setting? And what would be the best calculation to get optimal sharpness on Oculus Quest 2 too? (i have "Pi selected)

I hope it can be cleared up a bit :) , suggestions appreciated.
best,
David
Hopki
Gnome

Hi David,
512px has always been the recommended tile size for any graphics application.
As Pano2VR adds 1px overlap you set the tile size in Pano2VR to 510px.

Why is the default making too many tiles, do you have an image limit or folder limit with your hosting?
You can also manually set the levels, this way you do not need to set a lower level, so still using the default tile size but not as many levels.
This would also cut down on the number of folders and tiles.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
deedee123

Hi,
Yes the issue is i host many projects on my server. I have unlimited server space, but limited "inodes". If i set the tile size to 510 the inodes (amount of files on the server) triple, but for normal output, i don't see that much quality difference. but for VR i seem to get varying results, i'm not quite sure what's the best to balance that.

if i go manual, the list i get pre-filled is 6771 - 3385 - 1692 - 846 - 423, is it better to manually enter 510 and then add with the "+" sign?

best,
David
360Texas

Just a thought about MULTI RES Tile images
Our image size output from my camera is 5376 pixels wide.
I found these multi res level settings to eliminate the partial tile images

Level tile 336
Level 1 1344 where 1344 / 336 = whole number 4.0 not a decimal fraction
Level 2 672 where 672 /336 = whole number 2.0 not a decimal fraction
Level 3 336 where 336 /336 = whole number 1.0 not a decimal fraction

The results are that after you build your project the tiles are full formed and there are no stray partial sized tiles. Less tiles and smaller project size.

Your image 6771 wide and Level tile size of 510 and selection of Level 1, 2 and 3 produce far more tiles than necessary and maybe causing issue with "inodes"
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
deedee123

Hi,
Well that is the confusing part, because then the input resolution is taken into account, while on other webpages, the settings are adjusted to the resolution of the output device, (especially for VR / Oculus).
If i simply choose 512 automatic, i get like 17k files per node, if i select 1022 automatic, its a bit above 4k, which is much more manageable. and fine for web output, but that gives varying results on the oculus.

so for one project it's possible one node has a image of 20946 x 10473, and another, say, 20944 x 10472. Roughly but not exactly the same. is it smart to take some division of the oculus resolution? (2880x1600).

it probably is rocket science :lol: but some VR scenes look a bit so-so while others are great (but all source images are sharp)

i hope there is some magic solution.
Best,
David