Menu in VR? > Solved by V7!

Q&A about the latest versions
Hrvoje

Hi

Maybe this will help to find a cause.

I noticed the same thing related to "empty" thumbnails.
Except, that one of my thumbnails IS displaying correctly.
I have a project with several aerial panoramas and all produce empty hotspot thumbnails but one.
So I tried to cross-reference everything, each pano setting, file size, date, exif, etc.
Until I found a possible cause: I edited all images with Topaz Sharpen tool, except that one which show thumbnail.
So I tried another experiment: I created pano with the same source images not edited with Topaz Sharpen, and PaNO2vr rendered thumbnails for both images correctly. After I edited one with Topaz Sharpen, Pano2VR7 stopped rendering hotspot thumbnails for that one.
Pano2VR6 renders all thumbnails correctly, no matter if edited with Topaz Sharpen
I uploaded a zip file with two images on my server, one edited and one not edited with Topaz Sharpen tool:
Url to images: https://www.znaor.com/Source_Images.zip
I noticed that image edited with topaz has this exif data:
JFIF_APP2 : ICC Profile (offset:35 size:3055bytes)
Maybe this or some edited data causes Pano2VR7 to not render thumbs?

HTH, Regards
BParker

Very interesting. I imported your two panoramas into my test project and see the same behavior as you. One generates a good thumbnail and one doesn't.

Looking at the file metadata in photoshop, i notice that the one that works has: <exif:ColorSpace>65535</exif:ColorSpace>. The one that fails has: <exif:ColorSpace>1</exif:ColorSpace>. My panoramas (which all fail to generate a thumbnail) have that same colorspace setting of "1". There are other differences also. The metadata can be exported to a text file and then a program like winmerge can be used to see all the differences.

I tried editing the exported metadata of the failing file and then reimporting it but for some reason that doesn't seem to change these settings.

Still playing around with it.
BParker

By adjusting my PTGui settings, I was able to regenerate one of my test panoramas with the same colorspace setting as your working panorama but that didn't help with the thumbnail issue. Looks like something else is causing the problem.
BParker

After troubleshooting the issue further, I have discovered that if I open the problem panoramas in Photoshop and do a “Save As” and uncheck the “ICC Profile sRGB IEC61966-2.1” box in the “Save As” dialog box, then Pano2VR 7 is able to successfully create the thumbnails. So it does appear to be an issue with the color space. Possibly a bug in the beta release thumbnail creation logic with the sRGB profile?

Hrvoje, could you try this workaround with one of your failing panoramas and see if it allows the thumbnail to be generated? I did it with the “Image_2_edited_with_topaz_sharpen.jpg” file from your zip and it works now for me.
Hrvoje

BParker wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:03 am Hrvoje, could you try this workaround with one of your failing panoramas and see if it allows the thumbnail to be generated? I did it with the “Image_2_edited_with_topaz_sharpen.jpg” file from your zip and it works now for me.
Hi

I tried the workaround and it indeed worked, thanks.
However, should they fix this in V7?
If V6 can render all thumbs, V7 should be able to do the same. Maybe it's just some internal tweaking for png generator.
I have many projects where I don't have source files any more and I would like to avoid reediting panorama images to avoid time and quality loss.
At least we know now where is the culprit for blank thumbs :)

Regards
BParker

I agree it's a bug that needs to be fixed. I'll email the support team today to report the problem.

Thanks again for posting your pair of files. I wouldn't have had any idea of how to troubleshoot this issue without them!
Dreamfoot

Hello Everyone,

I am facing the same problem for many days. I am using feather_orb customised skin which has Enter VR button in the right menu which has a logic block for Alpha of being visible if VR Available = True. Somehow in my custom project, it is not able to detect that the device (Oculus Quest 2) has VR available and hence I don't see Enter VR button. If I click on Request Desktop site, I see the Enter VR button in the menu. I have attached a screen recording below.

I tried opening the standard example which uses the Feather_orb skin on Pano2VR 7 main page: https://vtour.cloud/0cdw87ml/o3qw7360/ I see the Enter VR button inside the Meta Quest Browser and I see the Enter VR button in the Right menu. And I enter the VR mode.

I haven't changed a thing about the Enter VR code inside the skin and my output has VR enabled with feather_vr skin selected.
What could be the problem?

I am attaching my skin also FYR. I am also sharing my tour link for anyone to test in their VR headset to see if this is an issue with just my headset (Oculus Quest 2) or a browser issue : https://vtour.cloud/p4gb21/5s0gqax6/?ts=6255228
Attachments
feather_orb_v3.ggsk
(114.28 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
VR Skin troubleshoot.mov
(6.32 MiB) Downloaded 128 times
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Using Pano2VR 7 beta 6 please upload again to the Gnome Cloud.
There was a but that meant that the files needed for VR were not uploaded, this is now fixed in Pano2VR 7 beta 6.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Dreamfoot

ok, thanks for your reply. I have pano2 vr7 6 but I guess I will scrap the old output and create a new one using the latest version.