workflow fb preview

Q&A about the latest versions
wiso

hallo,
question about workflow for fb preview:

i turn on he "create files for external..." to get a preview a file for fb.
K1600_Skizze (169).JPG
K1600_Skizze (169).JPG (18.2 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
then i make my own preview (because it looks better) and replace the one in the output folder. then i upload the folder with ftp.

next times to generate the output and upload i have always to delete the generated preview (and not forget it!)

question a) is it the only funktion of "create files for external..." to make the preview, or does it also handle other things in html code?
question b) after first generate of the preview, (and replacing the preview) can i take the tick out of the function?
question c) can i better include my own preview in the workflow?

it is not esential for me,
but if anyone has a hint, would be great..

regards,
wiso
Hopki
Gnome

Hi wiso,
This depends on a few things, for example, the modified preview image, is this just another view angle that you can make in the transformation output?
Or are you opening a photo editor and adding lots more content to the image?

If all that is required is a better view then you can use the transformation output.
Add this to the outputs panel under the HTML5 output and as you make the outputs the transformation output will replace the preview image.
If you select "Alt + Create output", it will first make the HTML5 output then generate the Transformation output, and then replace the one made by the HTML5 output.

Or if, for example, Photoshop is the default application to open .jps files.
Then only create the transformation output when you are ready to finish the project.
This will generate the new JPEG which will open Photoshop, edit it and save it.

This will replace the preview image already created by the HTML5 output.
Just remember to set the output path in the transformation output to output/preview.jpg so it overwrites the existing file.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
wiso

thank you hopki for your detailed information!

mostly it is just another view angle for the preview.

my workflow now:

*) make a new transformation output
*) choose the view
*) set the output path to "output\preview.jpg"

go back to my html output, make my work/revisons, and make from now on my outputs with alt+output.

that works, and it is ok!

but in the moment i forget the "alt" key i have the old preview in again .

therefore i thought maybe there is a possibility to stop the programm to make a preview (from the moment on i have the choosen one) . then in ftp upload on the server the preview would always be the selected and never overwritten again...

thank you,
wiso
Hopki
Gnome

Hi wiso,
Sadly not, if you deselect files for external embedding under the HTML tab, the HTML page will not have the metatag for the preview image.
As a thought, output it once, then deselect embed files and change the file name to output_index-.html.

Then the output will have the preview image and index.html page ready for upload.
But all subsequent builds will use the new renamed HTML page which you would not use on upload.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/