Gyroscope not starting default view

Q&A about the latest versions
WardPeeters

Hello there!

We are using the gyroscope feature to let the user look around in a 360 video .
The webpage should show the default video view and activate the gyro.

But when loaded the page seems to not vertically align.
For example, when the phone is laying on a table and the tour is loaded, it is showing the floor and not the default video view which is aimed at a building.

It seems like the gyroscope is trying to force the tour to be vertically aligned with reality, although this is not what we want to achieve.

Is there a way to always start the tour at the default video view and then let the user look around using the gyro?
360Texas

Ha I did that gyro thing one time on my cell phone. The angle of view is in relationship to the cell phone. Point the cell phone front to the table... and the image views the NADIR or table top. Point the cell phone face UP and you see the Zenith or sky. You can see it best sitting in a rotational chair. Turn chair... image angle also turns because the cell phone direction sensor is rotating.

Just an observation: try turn gyro OFF... then it should act properly ?

Your desktop does not not a gyro ?

There must be a way to tell
IF cell use gyro
IF not cell do not use gyro.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
WardPeeters

Thanks for the reply!

Turning the gyro off is not an option as we want the user to be able to look around using the phone and not gestures.
This tour we are building is for a one-time event and only for mobile viewing.

The information is useful, we are looking for a way to not let the gyro take control of the viewing angle in that way. But let the default angle be whatever the user is looking at.
Jmondo

Hi, I have been advocating for this for a while now. The problem is that the gyro currently snaps to horizon, or what the horizon is relative to where the phone is pointing.

In addition to your issue with it not starting where you want it to start regardless of phone position, it also creates a bad experience when you are both using the gyro and scrolling with your finger to advance to a different spot. The gyro currently snaps to horizon as you move the pano instead of continuing the gyro movement from the position you moved to. This creates a jerky movement.

Hoping this can be addressed in the near future. The gyro movement is our best advantage over matterport, and currently using the gyroscope just isn’t a great user experience.

Thanks,
Jesse
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Guys,
With regards to the gyro, it is doing exactly what it should with regards to the horizon.
If your device is laying down then you will be looking down, tilt angle -90 when the gyro turns on.
Hold it upright and then you're looking at tilt angle 0.
Do you have any examples of a project/gyro working how you would like?
If so please share the links.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Jmondo

Hi Hopki,

roundme.com uses this functionality.

You and I have had this discussion before. This is from an email I sent in 2017:
Gyroscope question - I've seen this posted on the forum, but there wasn't a solve at the time. I'm wondering if this has changed since (topic found here: ( https://ggnome.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10625) I'd like to have the gyroscope move seamlessly along with manual movement - that is, if I move the pano with my fingure, I'd like the gyroscope to take over from the new position without snapping to a determined point. I have seen this in other players and wonder if it can be accomplished in pano2vr  (for example,  https://roundme.com). Can this be solved with JavaScript or an html setting? Please advise

Then a post from 2019:
Is there a way to disable auto leveling while using the gyroscope? I want to prevent the pano from snapping back to the horizon after scrolling with a finger. This is the single biggest complaint I get from clients. There's a natural inclination to occasionally scroll while in gyro mode. It would be a better experience if the gyro just picks up where the finger left off. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

I have also requested that smooth movement be added back to the gyro functionality to prevent jittery movement - I think that had more traction, but if I recall that wouldn't be added until version 7. Hopefully that's still on the radar.

Thanks,
Jesse