Sound play button "sometimes" doesn`t work

Q&A about the latest versions
CBerger

Hello,

in our tour we are using the solution mentioned on viewtopic.php?p=38968#p38968 to play sounds (off comments) when users click on a Play button / hotspot within the panoramas:
Add the sound to the media editor and give it an ID, say eng_start.
Then set the loop to -1

Back in the skin editor add the action to your point hotspot:

Mouse Click => Play Media => Loop: 1 => Target: eng_start
Unfortunately the sounds sometimes do not play when clicked. In 90 % of the time it works, but sometimes it doesn't (with the same point hotspots). Going back and forth through neighbouring panos solves the issue and the sound can be played. Unfortunately this behaviour is not comprehensible for me at the moment.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be keeping the sound from playing?

Many thanks
Christian

Panorama Tour Builder
Version: 6.1.13 pro 64bit
Revision: 18080/5.12.2
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Christian,
We would need to know more about your skin, how the sound is added and what action and in which element you are using with the play action.
To this end could you send your support package as found under the help menu but make sure you include your project file and skin.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
CBerger

Hello Hopki,

thanks again for the whole engagement and the quick answers to all my questions. This is really very kind!

I have attached the support package and hope it helps.

Many greetings
Christian
Attachments
SupportPackage_2021-09-26_17-36.zip
(2.56 MiB) Downloaded 102 times
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Christian,
Looking at your skin, the Hotspot Template has an action to play every sound in one click!
How I would have done this is in the point hotspot description text field, is add the audio ID there.
So for example add "AUDIO_1" to the description text field.

1.png
1.png (31.87 KiB) Viewed 1951 times

Then back in the skin editor the Hotspot Template only needs the action.
Mouse Click, Play Pause Media, $(hd)

2.png
2.png (39.25 KiB) Viewed 1951 times

As you click the hotspot the placeholder $(hd) reads the ID in the description text field and uses it in the Hotspot Templates Target text field.
I also think that using the same ID for the Point Hotspot and the Audio is not a good idea, even though there is no reason why you should not do this, I think there is the possibility of a browser reading the wrong this or some other way the information could be confused.
I would use a prefix like AH, so AH_AUDIO_1 for the Point Hotspot ID (Audio Hotspot Audio 1).
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
CBerger

Hello Hopki,

many thanks, I implemented your solution - and now the template section looks much cleaner.

In addition I had to do another thing, which might be interesting for you and other users too:
Some of the audio file names we used had special German charcters (like ä, ö, ü and ß) in it. This seemed to be another reason why the sounds could not be played under special circumstances.

Now everything works fine.

Thank you again
Christian
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Christian,
Yes, you should always use web-safe characters for file names.
We have done a lot of work in Pano2VR so you can use such characters within Pano2VR, user data, etc.
Do you have an example of a file name that breaks it?
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
CBerger

Typical problematic names were:
19-Kostenlose Parkplätze-consolidated.wav
23-Zwischen gebäude göteburg und oslo-consolidated.wav
82-Möwen Naturtöne-consolidated.wav

I know, that spaces are also not very good or professional, but they seem to work.
360Texas

Do you use a html code number or name for the characters ?
Eg,
Ü = Ü
ß = ß
ä = ä

see also for other special character fonts:
https://ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

Some special character fonts are ok on your desktop but used on your server might need help.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
CBerger

Thanks 360Texas.

Well, we just used our normal German keyboards to type these letters in Windows explorer / Adobe Audition.

But to avoid all problems, I told my student assistants to use only "English" letters and underscores in file names. With that, everything should work out in any case. :)

Thanks a lot for your support!