Output panorama very soft - what is to do?

Q&A about the latest versions
klonk

Hello,

I am working on a Tour with panos with high detail resolution. The source panos have 41200px length and are imported as TIFF/16 bit into pano2vr.
Unfortunately the output panos(left) in the browser are much blurrier than the original ones(right)
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-16 um 22.06.07.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-16 um 22.06.07.png (6.32 MiB) Viewed 1085 times

I have also documented my output settings with screenshots.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-16 um 22.37.03.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-16 um 22.37.03.png (26.55 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-16 um 22.38.26.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-16 um 22.38.26.png (32.86 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-16 um 22.39.22.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-16 um 22.39.22.png (75.82 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
What do I need to set differently to make the output panoramas as sharp as the originals?

Thank you very much for a tip.
Greetings Stephan
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Stephan,
Under the images tab of the settings set the interpolation filter to one of the filters further down the list, the further down the sharper the panorama.
But don’t go to mad as you may end up with over sharp images.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
klonk

hi Martin,
thanks for the quick reply!
Now I dared to experiment with the settings ;-)
For me it works very well with the filter " Blackman/Bessel, without "Dynamic Kernel/Anti Aliasing".

I noticed during the experiments that the display of the panos is sharper / more detailed when I uploaded the tour to the server. The rendering in the browser from the integraded web server is a bit softer.
Is it my imagination or is that really the case? If so, does anyone know the reason for this?
regards stephan
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Stephan,
I should not affect the image quality if served from Localhost or a website?
With regards to the interpolation filter and output, you can not really compare exactly the equirectangular image directly and the output.
The output is going through WebGL and being turned into a sphere, this will distort pixels so will never be exactly the same.
Also, it also depends on the amount of sharpening the equirectangular images has before being imported into Pano2VR.
If the sharing is quite high, you don't want Pano2VR to add more as you will end up with an over-sharpened image.
Also, it matters on the size of the viewport the panorama is displayed on your page.
The player is detecting its size and serving up the tiles that best match that resolution/side.
Of course, when you go fullscreen you should see better quality and of course when you zoom in you will get the max resolution tiles loaded for the area you are looking at.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
klonk

Hi Martin,
thank you very much for the interesting explanation.
Maybe it is not a bad workflow to sharpen the source images very little and rather use a sharper filter in pano2VR, like the Blackman filters. Usually sharpening is always at the end of the editing process. I will experiment with it a bit and see how it works out.
Regards
Stephan