Version Controlling Pano Updates

Q&A about the latest versions
Curtisio

Hi all,

What's the preferred method to version control pano tours? E.g. if I update one node the images are cached in the user's browser? Is there a way to version control an updated node so the user get the update without drawing the images from cache?

I hope that makes sense? Essentially, what's the best way to get around browser caching on an update of a single node.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Curtisio,
It depends on what you are updating.
You could create a new folder, for example, output_v1, then update to output_v2 etc.
Then use a redirect to the new folder.

However, in Pano2VR, you can change some of the file names.
As an example, if you changed a panorama, you could go to the HTML5 output and under the Advanced tab go to the Output section where it shows the XML file name, output/pano.xml.
Change this to output/pano_v1.xml

Then under Miltiresolution change the multiresolution naming convention to match:
The default is:

Code: Select all

tiles/$y/cf_%c/l_%l/c_%x/tile_%y.jpg
You would add:

Code: Select all

tiles_v1/$y/cf_%c/l_%l/c_%x/tile_%y.jpg
Create the output again, this will generate a new index.html page, a new XML file and tiles folder.
On your server, you would replace the index.html page and XML file.
Then rename the tiles folder to _v1, then make sure you replace the node subfolders that you have actually changed.

If you changed the skin, in Pano2VR you can change the skin.js file to skin_v1.js and the images folder to images_v1.

With regards to just changing a single panorama, you could create the new output, then for example, if it is node5, you would rename this to node5_v1.
Then upload to your server.
Then in the XML file, you can search for node5, you are looking for the one using the multiresolution path, then just edit it to node5_v1.
Basically to beat the cache you need a name change.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Curtisio

Thanks Hopki

I think your last point is the way to go as I only output the html file the first time I output. This is because I usually at a lot of html, css styling, other JavaScript, or turn the html into php. I version control all CSS, js, including Pano js each time I upload an update anyway.

I was thinking to rename the individual Pano in the p2vr file or XML. I'll have a play to see which is the best way for me to go.

Thanks