Patch Tool and workflow

Q&A about the latest versions
Robert Harshman

It would be a wonderful enhancement if the patch tool would record the placement settings(ie. FOV, Pan, Tilt, Roll) for each patch in it's file name by default.

The reason I'm asking is this:

If you load a VR into Pano2VR, add a patch and forget to save this specific VR and patch as part of a project file then the patch becomes an orphaned patch. That is, you have no easy way to reuse the patch with that VR or others without know all the settings used to extract/insert it.

I just did this by mistake. I loaded a EQ file, extracted a patch, did some PS work on it, but forgot to save a specific Pano2VR project file for this combo before I quit Pano2VR. Now the patch that I already fixed up in PS, has to be "hand" aligned back into Pano2VR. Ugh!

Regards,

Robert
thomas
Chief Gnome

Smooth made the same suggestion here and this should be in the next beta/final 2.2. At the moment you can do this with a trick (I already wrote the easy part....). Just add the placeholder $c into your patch file name (I know.... another undocumented placeholder). $c will be replaced by the current patch position. The next step for me is to add a setting in the preference so you can make this a default behavior.
MfG, Thomas
smooth

:D

Thomas,

$c into the file name? Like $c_pano_patch_0.tif ?

or pano_patch_0_$c.tif etc.

Regards, Smooth 8)
thomas
Chief Gnome

smooth wrote: $c into the file name? Like $c_pano_patch_0.tif ?
or pano_patch_0_$c.tif etc.
Where ever you like.... pano_patch_$c.tif will be the new default, but you can also do a "patch$c_$c_its _getting_long_$c$c$c.tif ;)
MfG, Thomas
Robert Harshman

thanks Thomas and Smooth,

Guess I should have search the forum on just "Patch" instead of Patch Tool to avoid a duplicate post, but seems it was worthwhile anyway as slowly but surely we're dragging those placeholders out one "$" at a time. :D

Regards,

Robert