How to add map to existing skin?

Q&A about the latest versions
tksharpless

First try at making a tour with integrated Google map. and I'm stuck as usual.
I added location data for 10 nodes to tour map, and auto-linked closest ones. Fine.
I want to use skin simplexv6.ggsk, but there is no map button in that skin and I can't see how to add one
If I load it into the skin editor it gives me a stern warning that I am not to edit it.
Does that really mean I must build a new skin from scratch, just to add the map?
If so, WHY?? If not, HOW??

I have also noticed that P2VR (Pro, 6.1.11, on Wn10) goes unresponsive for nearly a minute when I first try to open the tour map.
That suggests a configuration problem. What do you advise?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi TS,
If you're using the Simplex_v6 skin, then you can open the Components Toolbox and add the component: Map Simplex
The map button would be positioned at the bottom middle of the skin canvas, the easiest thing to do is set the anchor of the button to one of the corners and set its X/Y position to 0/0. This way it will not interfere with any of the existing buttons.

But is it the right thing to do?
The xxx_v6.ggsk skin files were designed to get you up and running as quickly as possible.
But they contain a lot of actions, variables and elements you may never need.

So how difficult is it to build skin using the components toolbox?
And also how much time will it take?

To start with you need to think about what features the skin should have but don't worry you can always add to it later.
Start a new skin and add all the components you need.
Space out the buttons, once done save the skin.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
tksharpless

Thanks, Martin.
Another ignorant question, if you will: How can I go back to using an output that I inadvertently 'deleted'? All the files are still there and I just want to update the skin.
tksharpless

I'm trying to make a modified simplex skin and getting more & more baffled.
The map (the bit that carries the Google key) won't style as I direct, it's always roadmap.
Adding a map component gives one that does style but is not controlled by the button.
And changes I make & save seem to revert at random, e.g. position of the map button.
So I see why you suggested this might not be the best way to get where I want to go.
Please direct to a total noob step-by-step tutorial on how to get started building my own skin.
tksharpless

Never mind. With the components toolbox, assembling my own skin was dead easy.
The Google Map is a really excellent facility for urban tours; I'm looking forward to building
several new tours of historic sites in Philly.
I'm still wondering about Google API key usage: Would I need a different one for every tour?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
The API can be used in as many projects as you want, but...
The more the map is opened the more likely you are to start being charged by Google.
Google give you $200.00 credit a month, you can monitor this from your Google account.
Have a look at the OpenStreetMap and Leaflet API as these are free to use.
See: https://ggnome.com/doc/maps-custom-tiles/
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/