Missing index.html when output file set to: $n\index.html

Q&A about the latest versions
Carlos Chegado

G'Day,

Just updated to latest Pano2VR version and immediately started getting issues while working on a Virtual Tour.

Looked into it and noticed the file index.html wasn't being generated.

I have the Output Location set to: $n\index.html so that upon generating the output, Pano2VR automatically names the output folder using the file name of the first image in the VT.

If I remove the ($n) from the Output Location, and leave just index.html the file is created on the main folder next to the original images. It works but it's a mess.

If I use the folder name proper (instead of $n), it also works, but that defeats the purpose of having placeholders to speed our workflows.

So, while I have a workaround, I hope this gets fixed ASAP so I can go back to use $n\index.html

BTW, I use the same placeholder on other places and it works fine, just the Output File is not interpreting the filename placeholder correctly.

Thanks
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Carlos,
I have just tested it on my Mac, Windows machine is in the office.
On the Mac all working ok.
If the default folder name is "output", just right button click on the word output and select Edit.

Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 19.50.24.png
Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 19.50.24.png (37.65 KiB) Viewed 3003 times

THen change it to $(n).

Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 19.50.38.png
Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 19.50.38.png (25.64 KiB) Viewed 3003 times

This will update all the file paths to:
$(n)\index.html
$(n)\pano.xml

Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Carlos Chegado

Hi Martin,

Thanks for looking into this. I should have mentioned I was using a Windows PC.

Unfortunately, this seems to be broken on the Windows version!

Just to be clear, if I let the Output Folder in it's default setting (output), everything works fine and I get all the files correctly saved onto the Output folder named (output).

But, if I change the output folder to $n or even $(n) what happens is upon pressing output button, a folder correctly named is created with all the files in it EXCEPT index.html.

Seems to me pretty clear there's a bug in the Windows version.

How that came to be in the last version of Pano2VR I have no idea, this has been working fine for years...

The idea with the updates is to fix bugs, not introduce more of them little buggers ;-)
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Carlos,
Just checked it out and I can reproduce the issue on macOS and Windows.
If you add the HTML5 output and then create an output.
Then go back and change the path to $(n) then I see the issue.

However, if you start a new project and add the HTML5 output then change the path before the first output this will then work.
Of course not correct and have added a report.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
Carlos Chegado

Hi Martin,

Thanks again for checking this.
I was scratching my head about how a bug could ship onto the WIndows version and not on the Mac OS version, but now that you've manage to reproduce it on Mac OS too I can see there's no platform discrimination whatsoever here, great ;-)

Hopefully it's an easy one to fix as you've pinpointed quite well how to trigger the issue.

Cheers from Down Under...
etegration

thank you! this is fixed in v 6.1.12
Carlos Chegado

Hummmm,

This is still not fixed for me.

If I manually set the name of the output folder everything works fine, but if I set Output Folder to ($n) the index.html file is not created!

Over to you Martin...

Cheers
Carlos Chegado

G'Day,

I notice this is still not fixed.

I've reported this in May and we're heading towards September now!

This is breaking many of my templates and it's very annoying to have to manually fix the output folder name every time I render files from Pano2VR.

I've been a Pano2VR user for many years now and really hate it when something that works perfectly fine is broken on newer versions...

Any chance we get this bug fixed sometime this year please?

Thanks
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Carlos,
To be honest, I could not see it in the bug tracker, that's not to say it's not there but the wrong wording is being used for the search.
So to make sure we added it again.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
Carlos Chegado

Thanks Martin,

I really appreciate your help squashing this bug.

Cheers