Patching Embedding Video 3D Render Issue

Q&A about the latest versions
Three65

I have rendered out a screen in Cinema 4D along with a Mask and video to be used in a Patch to embed the video inside of Pano2VR. However I have noticed when I export the patch out of Pano2VR its about 5% bigger then my original render. I would think that this should all line up in a 1 to 1 fashion since everything being used was all rendered from the same camera. Can anyone add some insight on this topic?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi
Do you use any of the attributes such as Roll or Aspect Ratio?
Can you send your support Package to support and make sure you include the project file, panorama, and patch?
The support package is found under the Help Menu.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Three65

Hey Hopki,
I think I have figured out what the issue is and maybe you can offer some more insight on it.

The problem I am seeing is because of the way the patch node is being exported from the equirectangular view inside of Pano2VR in the viewport. The mask and video I have created is still in a equirectangular "Flat" view. So there is a little distortion difference from Pano2VR to trying to line it up with my other files. I am guessing this is because of how the patch is being exported from the input image time of "Equirectangular" I thought I had hit the jackpot when I was able to change input type to "Flat" however I then realized that the patch tool was not available in that mode. Is it possible to make the patch tool available in the Input Image "Flat" mode? What would be even better and I don't know if its possible would be to allow a user to added a black and white mask to the whole 360 image that could be converted to a patch. Hopefully all of this makes sense. if not I can put together a file and send it over to you. Thanks for your time!
Three65

Also been playing around with doing the video as a WebM output so I can have a alpha on my video. However if I export the video out as the same size as the patch it seem that the patch doesn't honor the size of the video because now the video is bigger then that original patch size.
Three65

Would it be possible to do a patch when the photo is in Flat mode?
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Reading through this post again, this all seems very odd.
A patch has extracted the size you set in the viewer.
It extracts a flat image.
Maybe send in your project to support with reference to this post.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
Three65

I have sent you a email to support with a video link that hopefully explains the issue it is I am facing.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
Thank you for your video.
Looking at the video you are extracting a patch using Pano2VR, but then using this in Photoshop to add the patch to the equirectangular image.
This is not how this works and why you are having difficulty.
The patch is being extracted from the sphere in the rectilinear projection so will not overlay in the equirectangular image in Photoshop.

The workflow is,
1) You load your equirectangular image into Pano2VR
2) Extract the patch, this action will cause your photo editor to open, in this case, Photoshop
3) Save the patch image, this will update Pano2VR which will perfectly overlay the patch in the equirectangular image
4) There is no need to create a new equirectangular image but if you do just use the Convert Button as found in the Properties panel. The new equirectangular image will be created with the patch

Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
Three65

I understand what you're saying and the workflow you have outlined along with fully understanding and following the video you have put out. However the point I am trying to make to you is being lost some how.

1 - I fully understand that a new equirectangular image doesn't need to be made and that is not what I am doing. I was merely showing you in the video the that patch snapshot that is sent to photoshop is larger then the original rendered equirectangular image.

2 - I have followed your workflow as you have outlined and since my video is coming from my render source and the video is being rendered in a equirectangular format it is smaller then the patch coming from Pano2VR.

3 - Like you said this is because the patch is being generated form a equirectangular source that is being displayed on a sphere.

4 - What I am asking is if its possible to make it so that a patch can be generated from a "Flat" Image inside of Pano2VR. I can understand why this seems so strange and counter productive to most people, since they are shooting a 360 image on a camera and then compositing video from another source that isn't in a equirectangular format. However anyone who is using this with 3D Renders have complete control over the Pano Image, Video, and Mask that is being generated. So if your image,mask, and video are all coming from the same equirectangular format and have a 1:1 alignment. It would only make sense to be able to generate a patch from a "Flat" equirectangular mode inside of Pano2VR so that there was no warping in the patch.

Hopefully this all makes sense, all I am asking is if its possible to make a patch available in the "Flat" display mode. Not sure if it has to make sense or if I can describe it any better then I have between here and the video I sent you. I am 95% sure this will work and make adding video to 3D rendered images a lot easier and less cumbersome. Since you will not be trying to line up video and feather mask.

Thanks for your help I appreciate it!
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
The original question was why the patch image did not line up correctly which has been answered, but moving forward to the current question can Pano2VR patch Flat images, sorry no.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
thomas
Chief Gnome

Three65 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:01 pm The problem I am seeing is because of the way the patch node is being exported from the equirectangular view inside of Pano2VR in the viewport. The mask and video I have created is still in a equirectangular "Flat" view. So there is a little distortion difference from Pano2VR to trying to line it up with my other files. I am guessing this is because of how the patch is being exported from the input image time of "Equirectangular" I thought I had hit the jackpot when I was able to change input type to "Flat" however I then realized that the patch tool was not available in that mode. Is it possible to make the patch tool available in the Input Image "Flat" mode? What would be even better and I don't know if its possible would be to allow a user to added a black and white mask to the whole 360 image that could be converted to a patch. Hopefully all of this makes sense. if not I can put together a file and send it over to you. Thanks for your time!
I think you are asking for the wrong thing. If you just export your video as a rectilinear projection (=normal camera) it matches exactly the patch (and pinned video). The rotation for the camera should match the patch angles. You may have an issue if the order of rotations and direction (CW/CCW) in the rendering software is different than in Pano2VR. To solve this, you can apply multiple transformations to the camera, where you only turn one angle, and then change the order until it matches.
MfG, Thomas
Three65

Hopki wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:31 pm Hi,
Looking at the video you are extracting a patch using Pano2VR, but then using this in Photoshop to add the patch to the equirectangular image.
The patch is being extracted from the sphere in the rectilinear projection so will not overlay in the equirectangular image in Photoshop.

The workflow is,
2) Extract the patch, this action will cause your photo editor to open, in this case, Photoshop
3) Save the patch image, this will update Pano2VR which will perfectly overlay the patch in the equirectangular image
4) There is no need to create a new equirectangular image but if you do just use the Convert Button as found in the Properties panel. The new equirectangular image will be created with the patch

Regards,
I have tried this several times and the video still comes out bigger then the patch and offset. I feel like there is something going on with the conversion of the patch to a video.
Three65

Three65 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:23 pm
Hopki wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:31 pm Hi,

The workflow is,

Regards,
I have tried this several times and the video still comes out bigger then the patch and offset. I feel like there is something going on with the conversion of the patch to a video.
Seems that it was my .webm file I ended up creating a mp4 file and it worked great!