nadir patch color problem

Q&A about the latest versions
MPW

Hi there,

just upgraded to P2VR pro 6.1.10 and started to create an image type patch in nadir position to insert my logo.
Done it the same way for years and several times.

This time I realised that after putting my font-type logo onto to image and saving it, the updated image patch within Pano2VR was slightly brighter than before.
So the border of the patch square was visible, although the image wasn´t changed in brightness.

Trying it on different images showed different intensity of change. On some no edge of the patch is visible, on others the patch is clearly visual along the edges.

The text type logo was inserted as a layer within my corel suite. Without any further change the image was saved again (jpg/100%). As said before: done it for over a hundred times.

I created image patches at different positions. Just creating it the updated image in P2VR didn´t show any change in brightness/colour. When changing the image just a little bit (text, small icon..) the brightness of the patch was increased.

Changed the image editing programm and file type (jpg, tiff, png): did not help.

Reinstalled Version 6.1.3: this time the same problem (haven´t seen it before and can not find it on produced panos).

With upgrading to a newer version is there a change in some files on my drive, that still will be active even after deinstallation and reinstallation of an older version? Like the software key that is also still available after deinstallation? Thinking of change in programm files for color management with latest version.

Thanks for any help with this important problem.
Attachments
nadir_error_marks.jpg
nadir_error_marks.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 4008 times
Neal

have you done an update to your graphic drivers or to windows recently?

Also, try flattening the image before saving it, see if that does anything.

Also, are you editing in RGB mode or C M Y K?

Also, Corel 2019 just issued an upgrade release, did it get installed?
Last edited by Neal on Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MPW

Hi Neal, thanks for your tips.

But as I said, 3 days ago no brightness problem with my regular steps, after update yesterday I can see the image patch edges.
No system or driver update. Staying all the time in sRGB. Didn´t change Corel quite a while.

With floating you mean flattening before saving?
.. just tried it out: no help.
Branigan

Butting in here as Neal is just being modest. He's just solved your problem (and mine) in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15174

Your example shows you're evidently cloning out your tripod to place your logo over the patched area, so just leave it with no logo and apply that separately as a hotspot at the Nadir instead.

Thanks to Neal's fix, it will stay upright at all times (if you want it to, like me), or if you don't mind it rotating: just don't add the modifier.

You could even add two: one with the ring of text that stayed still and one with the compass points that rotated: or vice-versa.
MPW

The tripod was corrected already before stitching, so that you see the nadir just like it is: floor, grass, whatever.
It takes a lot of work to have the perfect nadir, so I what to show it without covering it by a logo.
Therefore I choosed a textline along a circle.

Untill now I just created a image patch, changed it with my logo and after saving the patch the pano was updated in Pano2VR.

From here - and thats the part why working with a hotspot does not work - the image was exported with the logo to be used for Google Streetview.
Attachments
nadirsample.jpg
nadirsample.jpg (439.85 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
Branigan

OK, so you want Pano2Vr to add your logo to the panorama and save it as a merged version?

Is there any reason why you don't just add the logo to the fixed version of the panoramic image after you've removed the tripod?

I use GIMP to produce the nadir and zenith, so they can be patched. It would be just as easy to add the logo to the correct place before turning it back into the equirectangular overlay and merging with the original.

You could even just save a single PNG with just the logo on it in equirectangular form from GIMP and overlay it on all your panorama images in your preferred image editor before passing them to Pano2VR.
nadir-zenith2.jpg
nadir-zenith2.jpg (123.7 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
Just the logo.
equilogo.jpg
equilogo.jpg (141.1 KiB) Viewed 3880 times
Last edited by Branigan on Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Neal

MPW wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:50 pm Hi Neal, thanks for your tips.

But as I said, 3 days ago no brightness problem with my regular steps, after update yesterday I can see the image patch edges.
No system or driver update. Staying all the time in sRGB. Didn´t change Corel quite a while.

just eliminating possibilities. Those are easy to check.

I hadn't updated to 6.1.10 yet, so I went ahead and did so. I then did a couple of patches use jpg and PSD types. I marked the corners in Photoshop so I could easily see where the patch was. I did not see the color change you are showing. I am starting a new tour, I will keep an eye out.
MPW

Neal wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:54 pm

I hadn't updated to 6.1.10 yet, so I went ahead and did so. I then did a couple of patches use jpg and PSD types. I marked the corners in Photoshop so I could easily see where the patch was. I did not see the color change you are showing. I am starting a new tour, I will keep an eye out.
Sorry Neal,
of course, thank you for all ideas you give.
Interesting to see, that it´s working fine on your system.
I fear that there are some interactions within my system that force me to give up the usefull patch function.
MPW

Branigan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:41 pm OK, so you want Pano2Vr to add your logo to the panorama and save it as a merged version?

Is there any reason why you don't just add the logo to the fixed version of the panoramic image after you've removed the tripod?

I use GIMP to produce the nadir and zenith, so they can be patched. It would be just as easy to add the logo to the correct place before turning it back into the equirectangular overlay and merging with the original.

You could even just save a single PNG with just the logo on it in equirectangular form from GIMP and overlay it on all your panorama images in your preferred image editor before passing them to Pano2VR.
nadir-zenith2.jpg
It´s not only about the logo on the nadir. I just recognized the strage behaviour here for the first time.
The image patch helps a lot for different things and it´s very usefull to have it here within one powerfull software.

I´m sure there are a lot of different ways to do a good job in Pano2VR. And that´s so great about this programm.
I´m using it since version 3 and when you have established your way of doing you realize when something is going wrong.

It´s not about how you can do something you have done for years in another way, it´s about a function of the programm running not the way it should be (without saying it´s a bug or it´s my system).
If I can´t find the reason for this patch-problem and can not correct it, I probably will try your ideas.
Neal

MPW wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:46 pm
Neal wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:54 pm

Sorry Neal,
of course, thank you for all ideas you give.
Interesting to see, that it´s working fine on your system.
I fear that there are some interactions within my system that force me to give up the usefull patch function.
I wouldn't give up too quickly, it's a very useful feature.

Let try this.

Create a patch.
Go to the patch folder and make a copy of that patch.
Rename the original patch and rename the copy to the original filename. That should force pano2vr to process that patch copy. Since no changes were made, it should be a perfect match.
MPW

Back again.

Thanks Neal. Great idea.

As you said I created an image patch, copied it and without touching it any further renamed the copy to the original and reloaded the image in P2VR.

The patch appeared brighter again, showing that this is happening within Pano2VR.

Any idea from the program developers?
Attachments
nadirsample2.jpg
nadirsample2.jpg (630.59 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
Last edited by MPW on Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MPW

...however it seems to be depending on the pano image.

I tried another pano and here it worked fine. :shock:

Both panos are jpgs, saved in 100%, same size.
Attachments
nadirsample3.jpg
nadirsample3.jpg (810.44 KiB) Viewed 3811 times
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
I have tried to reproduce this but I can not!
Can you send me a panorama that shows this, use the support e-mail below.
But I have tried panoramas with grass, concrete, tiles, light, dark etc.

What's the colour space of the image and do you have Convert to sRGB selected in the settings?
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
MPW

Hopki wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:29 pm Hi,
I have tried to reproduce this but I can not!
Can you send me a panorama that shows this, use the support e-mail below.
But I have tried panoramas with grass, concrete, tiles, light, dark etc.

What's the colour space of the image and do you have Convert to sRGB selected in the settings?
Regards,
Thanks a lot.
Image is on it´s way.
Convert to sRGB was selected.
Hopki
Gnome

Hi,
This is only seen in the viewer in Pano2VR right, the output has no issues.
Can you confirm this?

At first, It looked like It is to do with the sharpness of the image.
My thoughts were when you extract a patch it is extracting at full resolution.
The image in the viewer is multi-resolution so when you are zoomed out the pano is at a lower resolution than the patch, so the image looks darker, the patch is still at full resolution so appears lighter.
When you zoom in and the resolutions start to match it blends in.

But to test this theory I extracted a path from a 405 Gigapixel image and all is well, no issue.
I am starting to think it is a problem with the image as I see the same issue in Pano2VR 5 as well.
With all my test images I can not reproduce but do see it with your image.
If it is the image or it highlights an issue with Pano2VRs viewer, I can not say but will ask if Thomas can take a look at it.

When you created the image, what di you stitch it with? what settings, interpolation filter used if any?
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/