Feature Request - Support Additional Color Profiles in Pano2VR

Q&A about the latest versions
Carlos Chegado

G'Day,

Pano2VR currently supports sRGB Color Profile. You can tick a box in the Output Settings and your HTML5 output image tiles will be converted to sRGB regardless of the origin Color Profile.

This works very well, but why stop there?

We should be able to select other Output Color Profiles in addition to sRGB.

sRGB is the most used standard color profile, but it was created in 1996 and designed for CRT monitors.

Today, most modern screens, specially on portable devices support a lot more colors than sRGB can register.

It makes sense to take advantage of that given our cameras can record those colors for many years and we're throwing them away at the end of the process by converting the images to a limited color profile (sRGB).

Here's some info about additional color profiles we could be using right now given we're not using CRT monitors anymore:

https://www.msi.com/blog/why-dci-p3-is- ... olor-gamut

I'm not saying Pano2VR should stop using sRGB right now, what I'm saying is Pano2VR should give us a broader choice by allowing us to select additional output color profiles for our work.

Thoughts?
Carlos Chegado

Hi Martin,

Just bumping this post to see if you can have a look at it and maybe consider this for the next Pano2VR version?

Or do you have a point of view that this shouldn't be considered?

Cheers
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Carlos,
I'll answer both your posts here as they are connected.
We apply the sRGB colour profile to the output tiles.
We don't touch extracted patches as you say.
Knowing panoramas will be displayed on the web I always work in sRGB.
I will wright up a feature request for both extracted patches and more colour profiles but I think the less processing we do the better.
Cheers,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/