Convert Patch to Pinned Image loses position!

Q&A about the latest versions
Carlos Chegado

G'Day,

I've used the button to Convert a Patch to a Pinned Image lots of time before without any problems, unfortunately, today, when I attempted doing that same thing, a problem emerged (I've just updated to the latest Pano2VR version Yesterday, not sure if it is related to that).

The problem is, the pinned image loses it's position. In example, the original patch is perfectly positioned in the panorama, it's only just upon clicking the Convert to Pinned Image button that this happens. The pinned image comes up in a totally different orientation that doesn't match the panorama at all!

For example:

Original Patch Position:

Pan: -141.86°
Tilt: -43.28°
Roll: -31.00
FoV: 34.39
Aspect Ratio: 1

After Conversion to Pinned Image:

X Rotation: 0.00°
Y Rotation: 0.00°
Z Rotation: 0.00°
FoV: 34.39°
Vertical Stretch: 100%

So it seems the Pinned Image is missing the Roll parameter???

If so, can this be fixed quickly please?

Thanks
Carlos Chegado

FYI

I did some further testing and figured out that if I manually copied the value from Roll (Original Patch) to Z Rotation (Pinned Image) and make it positive instead of negative, the Pinned Image will match the position.

For example:

Original Patch Position:

Roll: -31.00
FoV: 34.39
Aspect Ratio: 1

After Conversion to Pinned Image:

X Rotation: 0.00°
Y Rotation: 0.00°
Z Rotation: 31.00°
FoV: 34.39°
Vertical Stretch: 100%

So, the issue seems to be that Pano2VR fails converting "Roll" to "Z Rotation" when converting a Patch to a Pinned Image.

A fix will very much appreciated.

Thanks
Hopki
Gnome

G'Day,
I have tested this many times today on different computers and thus far can not reproduce.
Can I ask you to make a single node project that shows this issue?
Once done select Help from the menu and then Create Support Package, make sure you select everything and create the Support Package.
Before sending test the support package, unzip and make sure you can build the project and it shows the issue.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Carlos Chegado

Hi Martin,

I've send you the Support Package as requested and also the Complete test project so you can see all the files in there.

Sorry that you wasted your time without managing to reproduce the issue. Here's how you can recreate the issue yourself:

1) Use the Patch tool to create a patch
2) Adjust the patch roll until is at a different angle (say 45° or whatever using your mouse)
3) Select Patch format (JPEG or PNG) or even PSD
3) Extract the Patch for editing (no need to edit for the purpose of this test) If the format was PSD, save it as a JPEG out of Photoshop.
4) Click convert to Pinned Image (select the JPEG file if you created from the PSD)
5) The Pinned image will come up not matching the background.
6) To fix this, you need to manually edit the Position Z Rotation Value to whatever the Roll value was on the patch and flip it Negative to Positive or vice versa.

Hopefully I could be of assistance in figuring out this problem.

Cheers from Down Under
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Carlos,
Hunting bugs down is never a waste of time and appreciate the time reporting.
Yes, you are right, the Z Rotation is not taken into account.
Added it the bug tracker.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Carlos Chegado

Hi Martin,

Just a heads up that in addition to the missing Roll value, the Convert Patch to Pinned Image function also sometimes loses the Aspect Ratio (also called Vertical Stretch in the Pinned Images Properties Tab).

This one is a bit weird though.

I'm working right now on a fairly complex project in which I use a bunch of Pinned Images (Converted from Patches). In all of them the Vertical Stretch remains 100% (ignoring the Aspect Ratio Value from the Patch) and yet the Pinned Images overlay precisely with the background (Once I manually Edit the Z Rotation value as discussed previously on this thread) but one of the pinned images is quite stretched so the original Patch Aspect Ratio is (0.14).

The resulting Pinned image at 100% vertical stretch doesn't match the background.

Manually Editing the Vertical Stretch Value to 118.10% sort of solves the problem, not I can see a little wiggle in there!

Can you please also check this issue when fixing the Pinned Images problem please?

Thanks