Presenting Tours offline

Q&A about the latest versions
jimsalabim

Hi!

My customer wants to present a tour I made offline. I read in the documentation that since html5 a web server is always needed. So in my understanding, the client would need to install Pano2VR in order to launch the tour offline. I assume there are other solutions?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel.
jimsalabim

Great, thanks!
Roy Reed

jimsalabim wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:41 pm I assume there are other solutions?
Running via a server is the safest method, but you can turn off browser security settings for local file restrictions which will allow you to run a tour locally (usual warnings apply).

For instance in Firefox:
  • Open up a new tab. Type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter.
  • A button appears asking if you accept the risk to change advanced settings. Click that you accept the risk.
  • Type unique in the search box, which will filter the list for settings containing this word.
  • Double click the privacy.file_unique_origin setting to switch the value from true to false.
Other browsers make this more difficult, but it's still possible.

Please note: There is a reason why browsers introduced this security measure. It's important to avoid saving any pages or files from untrusted websites and running them locally.When set to 'true' this setting prevents the file from accessing any local content.
jimsalabim

Good to know, thanks so much!
Neal

Roy Reed wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:35 am
jimsalabim wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:41 pm I assume there are other solutions?
Running via a server is the safest method, but you can turn off browser security settings for local file restrictions which will allow you to run a tour locally (usual warnings apply).

For instance in Firefox:
  • Open up a new tab. Type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter.
  • A button appears asking if you accept the risk to change advanced settings. Click that you accept the risk.
  • Type unique in the search box, which will filter the list for settings containing this word.
  • Double click the privacy.file_unique_origin setting to switch the value from true to false.
Other browsers make this more difficult, but it's still possible.

Please note: There is a reason why browsers introduced this security measure. It's important to avoid saving any pages or files from untrusted websites and running them locally.When set to 'true' this setting prevents the file from accessing any local content.
If you are going to use that method, I suggest turning the setting back to true after you are done. It turns off CORS for local content. Local content is more than just saved webpages. It can include some emails and even some programs that are written in javascript. So it not a solution I would suggest for a client.
jimsalabim

ok, thanks!