All my skins stopped working

Q&A about the latest versions
Roland

Hi,

I had to reinstall Pano2VR and now all my skins stopped working. The skin files (.ggsk) are still there but when I try to edit them I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Skin error: unexpected end of file
Line 1, Column 1
I tried to duplicate the skin files, rename them to .zip and extract them. However, this only works for some of the stock skins (e.g. silhouette_cardboard.ggsk). For all of my custom skins it says the zip file is invalid when trying to extract them.

I have tons of custom skins and recreating them all from scratch would take ages. Since the skin files are still there I hope there is a way to make them work again.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!

Best,
Roland
Neal

Why did you have to reinstall Pano2VR?
What is the file size on the skins?
Can you open the skin with something like notepad?
Roland

Hi Neal,

I just found out that the skins contain zero's only so I guess they really got messed up somehow. Most are around 100KB, some double that size.

I had to restore my Windows 10 machine to a previous config and then Pano2VR stopped working so I had to reinstall it.
Neal

While all hope isn't lost, things aren't looking good. I hope you have them backed up.
The data is still likely on the disk, but not attached to a file. So stop writing anything to the disk. You will overwrite the data.
Do some internet searches for recovery tools. These third-party tools will scan the hard disk and try to find the data. It will take time, and it is unlikely you will get everything back.

Next, start backing up your files. I suggest a program called Carbonite. It stores the files online while you are not using the computer. That way even if the computer is destroyed or even your workplace or home, the files are safe.

Wish I could give you better news.
Roland

Yes, I'm already using some recovery tools. It doesn't look good though. I need to change my workflow when creating and saving new custom skins.

Thanks anyways for your help. Really appreciated.