If it isn't getting fixed soon, can I bodge this? (FoV Mode)

Q&A about the latest versions
Branigan

If you're not bothered about what I think is a problem with FoV Mode:Vertical, then you can skip this. :)

Default FoV Mode is Vertical, which is for mobile phones in Portrait mode. If you set all your FoVs and Min/Max ranges up to look right on a Landscape aspect ratio desktop, that's fine and it will work on the desktop, because you've simply set it up for a very large mobile screen. :wink: It just won't adjust when you go to an actual mobile screen and it will be far too zoomed in.

See Hopki's sample here: https://ggnome.com/samples/pano2vr_5/tower/

It's fine on a desktop (because he's adjusted everything to make it so) , but on a mobile, you only see a small vertical sliver of the panorama and you have to manually zoom out for it to look correct and not like you are moving your face around the walls of a room from about 2ft away.

The responsive mode for all screens is FoV Mode: Diagonal, which adjusts and adapts accordingly. This is great, except no one changes over to it and lots of the code gets buggy when you do make this change, as some areas adapt and some don't as not enough people have tried and found where it fails and reported the bugs.

If it's lasted like that this long, It's unlikely to get fixed any time soon (and how soon is soon, anyway? I need it now), can I do this myself semi-manually?

I can already read the Display Width and Display Height in Javascript, but I'd need to do some calculations and automatically feed them back into the FoV when the aspect ratio changes, as if the user was doing that manual zoom to correct the FoV on a mobile, as is needed for Hopki's example above.

What I'd like to know is: is this even possible with the current setup? Can I push adjusted values back into the FoV mode to correct it for an actual mobile screen if I design everything on a desktop, but in Vertical mode, and the FoV values that work for that as my starting position?

I don't mind having a poke around, but if anyone knows more about the interface than me (that would be everyone) and can say if it is/is not currently possible; that would save a lot of fruitless hacking about if it can't be done without some changes being made to allow the access I need to alter the FoV, that isn't currently there.
Last edited by Branigan on Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hopki
Gnome

Using FoV diagonal, it opens ok, but on node change, the hotspot is picking up the set FoV of 70.

As a workaround, the hotspot FoV needs to be set to $(af).
This is the target as found in the hotspot editor:

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 21.23.17.png
Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 21.23.17.png (11.57 KiB) Viewed 849 times

Here you can see the pan, -16.1285, then tilt, 0, then FoV, $(af)
What this will do is on project open with FoV node diagonal, is set the FoV, on the phone, as an example FoV 98.0.
But on node change, the placeholder will use the same FoV setting and not the default FoV as set in the viewing parameters so keeping FoV 98.8.
Unfortunately, this does not correct itself when switching the phone to landscape.

This needs more testing as it looks like there are a few issues here.
Regards,
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
Branigan

Hopki wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:03 pm Using FoV diagonal, it opens ok, but on node change, the hotspot is picking up the set FoV of 70.

As a workaround, the hotspot FoV needs to be set to $(af).
This is the target as found in the hotspot editor:

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 21.23.17.png

Here you can see the pan, -16.1285, then tilt, 0, then FoV, $(af)
What this will do is on project open with FoV node diagonal, is set the FoV, on the phone, as an example FoV 98.0.
But on node change, the placeholder will use the same FoV setting and not the default FoV as set in the viewing parameters so keeping FoV 98.8.
Unfortunately, this does not correct itself when switching the phone to landscape.

This needs more testing as it looks like there are a few issues here.
Regards,
Yes, I found that problem when using Pano2vr Light, where I have to supply the Target P/T/F for the next URL manually, as there is no 'Set Target' Button.

I found that just missing off the last value entirely, so pan value/tilt value/ (leave blank) worked OK, as whatever it had already calculated as the FoV for the current URL - which was correct - was just carried over into the target URL and not set back to 70 (or whatever your default FoV was).

That method does seem to work when switching a phone from portrait to landscape mode too.

Glad we're on the same page, but you'll find that there are other areas that are affected (Zoom Limits) and I don't expect this to be a quick fix.

So, if I have to change to what everyone else is using: FoV Mode:Vertical - where things mostly work OK - can I just force any angle into $(af) myself when the Display Width/Height changes? I.e when just resizing the browser, as if it was in Diagonal mode, but not relying on it to get it right everywhere that it can't (yet)?

I'm thinking of some Javascript on a text block or something if that would be practical. I.e. we let PanoVR not do the FoV adjustment in Vertical mode (which it doesn't anyway) and we do it ourselves based on the changing Display Width and Height?