Fisheye lens - better than non-fisheye of same focal length?

Q&A about the latest versions
BWhitmore

I use a Sigma 12-20 on the Canon 5D3 body, and it works ok. The seemingly recommended Samyang 12mm seems an expensive gamble if it's effectively not much better. Does anyone know if it is, and if so why.
soulbrother

1. we are speaking about full sphere panos, including nadir and zenith, right?
2. what is yout goal: taking a 360 sphere in very good quality, but with only 6 single shots?
OR is it not important to reduce the amount of shots and therefore the total shooting time for one panorama?

Generally speaking:
I strongly believe that a 360 sphere, taken with 12mm Sigma @12mm does not show any advantages in terms of image quality, compared to the 12mm Samyang fullframe fisheye.
BWhitmore

Thanks for the rreply. Yes, full sphere. Shooting more quickly whilst at the same time achieving high quality is worthwhile for me. I've been using an EOS M6 with Samyang 8mm on a small and quite old Nodal Ninja, and am looking to improve the overall quality, which is already reasonably good. I'm slightly reluctant to splash out on yet another lens, but I think it's unavoidable.
soulbrother

As the EOS M6 has got a lot more pixel as the 5D3 the difference from 8mm to 12mm is not "linear" and you will get not as much more details in your panos, as it would be desirable.

Furthermore, when I think about picture quality, it´s not just the resolution, but also the dynamic range.

Canon is not known for a high dynamic range of the sensors, what is a plus-point on other brands - especially those with Sony sensors (Sony, Nikon, Pentax, ...).

However, this fact can be ignored, when shoting an exposure series and using any of the DRI processing methods.
BWhitmore

I process 'DRI' at the moment (not HDR, letting software do it yields less good results). The M6 is limited in its bracketing abilities and there's no Magic Lantern for it. Overall the 5D3 yields better looking images, and has more bracketing control, but I'm aware that 4 shots plus zenith and nadir would yield lower overall resolution than I'm ideally seeking, which is 15k x 7.5k px. In fact spending a little more time shooting scenes in two rows as a result of using a longer focal length wouldn't make a very significant difference. In which case, what focal length would be optimal for this, and are there any specific lenses which are particularly proven for this kind of application?